Breaking Ground Mini Mods

Angelo Kerman

Servos and propellers and surface science, oh my! The Breaking Ground DLC created new possibilities for players to build new craft with. These mini mods add additional functionality and new parts inspired by NASA’s robotics research.

Servo Controller

Ever wish you had a centralized GUI for directly controlling your servos? Do you wish you could automatically position your robot arms to grab payloads at different locations? Then the Servo Controller is your answer! This plugin-only mini mod adds additional functionality to the KAL-1000 controller to:

• Provide a centralized GUI manager from which to control servos assigned to the KAL-1000
  • Take snapshots of servo states to make it easy to preposition arms for deployment

Download here

Source

License - Servo Controller: GPLv3
License - Module Manager by Ialdabaoth/Sarbian, CC-share-alike

whtkz1o.png

S.L.O.T.H.

The Sophisticated Lightweight Optimized Transportation Helper (SLOTH) is inspired by NASA’s Tri-ATHLETE rover system. It lets you build robotic rovers to help set up and move your bases. Works best with Servo Controller.

License: All art assets are All Rights Reserved.

Download here

Vb1PwlH.png

NIKifQp.png

KNeBKDG.png

More Servos

These new servo parts are inspired by the International Space Station’s Canadarm 2 and offer more parts for your robotic needs. Works best with Servo Controller.

License: All art assets are All Rights Reserved.

Download here

5ekBOtv.png

diLWDBZ.png

kfdDMIP.png

Edited by Angel-125

3 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Two words.

Inverse. Kinematics.

Two months.

Of solid. 14hr days work.

You fancy giving that time and effort for implementation, Starwaster?

These are neat parts, I'm liking the GUI. :D 

The SLOTH looks like a promising replacement for the yellow "PAL" rover parts in USI Konstruction.  Those are also meant for carrying base parts around, but have always been pretty awkward to use IMO, so I'm interested in this.

9 hours ago, Wyzard said:

The SLOTH looks like a promising replacement for the yellow "PAL" rover parts in USI Konstruction.  Those are also meant for carrying base parts around, but have always been pretty awkward to use IMO, so I'm interested in this.

I hadn’t thought of that... I was just thinking about how to make the NASA Tri-ATHLETE rover in KSP. You still have the bendy robotics joints to contend with, but this system lets you put base elements onto the platform and then dock two SLOTH rovers to the pallet and move it around. No sky cranes needed, just decouple the pallet from the landing stage. 

I put pistons with gripper feet on the bottom of the pallet and use them to account for slopes in the terrain. You can also use the inflatable docking port from Making History to dock base components together.

Edited by Angel-125

Playing around with the SLOTH, and looking at the NASA paper, I think there's one important piece missing - a docking connector.  The rover bodies should be able to dock/undock with the cargo pallet (which stays under the payload).

It's also hard to notice from the pics you've got that the hip joints are mounted to DLC rotators...  ;)  

8 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Playing around with the SLOTH, and looking at the NASA paper, I think there's one important piece missing - a docking connector.  The rover bodies should be able to dock/undock with the cargo pallet (which stays under the payload).

It's also hard to notice from the pics you've got that the hip joints are mounted to DLC rotators...  ;)  

Look for the Sloth Coupler found under Coupling. There's a small bug though, the Model tag in the config file should read:

MODEL
    {
        model = WildBlueIndustries/SLOTH/Parts/Robotics/slothCoupler
    }

It has been recently brought to my attention that I caused distress with my loathsome utterance of the words 'inverse kinematics'

I humbly beseech you all to forgive this grievous transgression.

I go now into exile in the wilderness no doubt to die a lonely death at the claws and teeth of some fearsome predator.

Wow! Amazing work :)

Could one wish for a gantry, for making lifts and cranes?

Also one stronger rotary part than the stock ones with stronger connection joints so we need less struts. for making rotating build cranes or rotate the body of building rover.

9 hours ago, Casper_83 said:

Wow! Amazing work :)

Could one wish for a gantry, for making lifts and cranes?

Also one stronger rotary part than the stock ones with stronger connection joints so we need less struts. for making rotating build cranes or rotate the body of building rover.

You actually can make a gantry out of stock parts. :) For a single part crane, one exists in Kerbal Actuators.

Stronger robotics joints was something that I investigated for these parts but  I could not find a way to do that.  Maybe @SQUAD can shed some light on that..

@Angel-125 Can I suggest something? One of the parts which would have been really good in the DLC is some sort of motorised rail system, for creating a Mobile Base System like the Canadarm 2 has on the ISS. Unfortunately SQUAD didn’t deliver on this, but do you think it would be possible with the DLC robotics and/or within the scope of one of your mini-mods?

4 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

You actually can make a gantry out of stock parts. :) For a single part crane, one exists in Kerbal Actuators.

Stronger robotics joints was something that I investigated for these parts but  I could not find a way to do that.  Maybe @SQUAD can shed some light on that..

Thanks for your answer, much appreciated. :)

1. Kerbal actuators? do you mean the hydraulic cylinders, or have i missed something? (Edit: I saw now that it is a mod, did not know about that)

I was hoping more like the gantry rail from IR.

screenshot11.png

The middle part can move back and forth. also you can put another one on there and now you can move them crazy far. But IR is very buggy, and a lot of problems with struts.

I believe it would work much better if a newer version was made.

2.Yes! lets hope they can :)

Edited by Casper_83

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.