Breaking Ground Mini Mods

Angelo Kerman

2 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

@Angel-125 Can I suggest something? One of the parts which would have been really good in the DLC is some sort of motorised rail system, for creating a Mobile Base System like the Canadarm 2 has on the ISS. Unfortunately SQUAD didn’t deliver on this, but do you think it would be possible with the DLC robotics and/or within the scope of one of your mini-mods?

@Casper_83 A rail system would depend on how the stock pistons are made. My guess is that it’s possible but you won’t be able to add additional rail sections to increase the rail length of a single rail servo. At best you might be able to tell the single rail part to increase the number of rail sections.

Edited by Angel-125

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 10:52 PM, Casper_83 said:

But IR is very buggy, and a lot of problems with struts.

That's simply not true... I'm currently not working on problems in IR.

Only new features like IK (almost ready) and those rail systems you're talking about (coding is done, testing is currently ongoing and some models are still missing) and also features nobody is talking about yet. Everything should be ready soon...

But DLC robotics does have some problems with KJR Next. In some cases it's still wrongly detected by KJRn because of how DLC parts are built. But there are no problems with IR parts.

I'm experiencing some serious issues with the More Servos parts, especially the Mk1 End Effector.

It doesn't seem to be possible to create the type of double ended arm like found on the ISS (a Kanadarm2 so to speak). When both ends are docked to the same craft and the original base end is undocked, an exception is thrown

[EXC 11:00:25.251] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	Expansions.Serenity.BaseServo.AttachServoRigidBody (.AttachNode node)
	PartJoint.SetupJoint (Vector3 jointPos, Vector3 jointOrt, Vector3 jointOrt2, Int32 size, .AttachNode nodeToParent, .AttachNode nodeFromParent)
	PartJoint.create (.Part child, .Part parent, UnityEngine.Transform nodeSpace, Vector3 nodePos, Vector3 nodeOrt, Vector3 nodeOrt2, Int32 nodeSize, AttachModes mode, Boolean rigid, .AttachNode nodeToParent, .AttachNode nodeFromParent)
	PartJoint.Create (.Part owner, .Part parent, .AttachNode nodeToParent, .AttachNode nodeFromParent, AttachModes mode)
	Part.CreateAttachJoint (AttachModes mode)
	Part.Couple (.Part tgtPart)
	ModuleDockingNode.DockToVessel (.ModuleDockingNode node)
	ModuleDockingNode.<SetupFSM>m__4 (.KFSMState st)
	KerbalFSM.RunEvent (.KFSMEvent evt)
	KerbalFSM.updateFSM (KFSMUpdateMode mode)
	KerbalFSM.FixedUpdateFSM ()
	ModuleDockingNode.FixedUpdate ()

Both ends of the arm detach and it floats away.  Since the error seemed specifically linked to the servo code I tested with two Effectors joined only by an I-Beam.

I've also tried an arm with the Effector replaced by a cubic strut a stock rotational servo and a WBI micro port which works in that the arm doesn't detach but starts spamming the log with exceptions. (I lost that log; will have to repro and get it to you)

Also, the WBILightController is logging erroneous errors that there are two lights. I know for a fact that there FIVE lights.

48 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

I'm experiencing some serious issues with the More Servos parts, especially the Mk1 End Effector.

[snip]

What version of the game are you running? 1.7.3 made several changes to docking mechanics, which may be helpful or not, depending if you’ve got the update.

51 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Also, the WBILightController is logging erroneous errors that there are two lights. I know for a fact that there FIVE lights.

THERE...ARE...FOUR...LIGHTS!

:sticktongue:

3 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

What version of the game are you running? 1.7.3 made several changes to docking mechanics, which may be helpful or not, depending if you’ve got the update.

1.7.3 which is why I re-ran the test with stock replacements (except for the micro port. I can try replacing that but as far as I can tell it doesn't do much besides being a docking port and the model setup for those are fairly well known at this point, unlike the robotics parts were are still newish.

THERE...ARE...FOUR...LIGHTS!

:sticktongue:

<slow menace> I don't see how you can be so mistaken...

Just now, Starwaster said:

1.7.3 which is why I re-ran the test with stock replacements (except for the micro port. I can try replacing that but as far as I can tell it doesn't do much besides being a docking port and the model setup for those are fairly well known at this point, unlike the robotics parts were are still newish.

Have you tried making a robotic arm out of stock parts only and see if it has the same problem as the arm with More Servos parts?

15 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Have you tried making a robotic arm out of stock parts only and see if it has the same problem as the arm with More Servos parts?

Oh most definitely. I had one working the day 1.7.3 was released with multiple controllers  to put it in one of several positions. (one to do 'inchworm' movements and another to shift it 90 degrees over to another row of ports - having WBI's snapshot capability is very interesting since I can potentially replace 3 controllers with 1)

So there's definitely something going on with the More Servos parts. I've also seen some other issues with the arm servo parts in the VAB which I suspect are problems in the model hierarchy but I'm still identifying them so I can properly report them. Issues such as discrepancies what axis the servos rotate around when using different attach nodes. Example: Mount a Mk1 Effector with its grapple end attached to a craft and its base pointing up. Slide the target angle. It should only rotate around the forward vector but instead also rotates around the up vector where forward is actually pointing up and 'up' is north/south.  Anything attached to the base is also rotated around the up vector. (again, where 'up' isn't what we think of as up but rather what unity says is up)

I'll post more about it later with some screenshots but I'm not very organized right now.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like the editor gets VERY unhappy if you use the S.L.O.T.H. rover body as the first part on a new vessel. The console shows an NRE:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object

The editor then becomes basically unresponsive until I exit back to the main menu, and reload the save. 

If I use a different part as the first part in a new vessel, and then add the rover body, there's no NRE, and everything seems to be okay (at least in the editor).

11 hours ago, Jognt said:

With regards to NREs, I see them quite often with stock robotics too, so that could be a KSP thing. 

There are things inside KSP (and unity games in general) that run in parallel and without any locks in a "good luck" kind of method. Means, they do a lot of things at the same time and sometimes the order of execution is different due to timing being different. And then you get such exceptions. I don't like this style, but seems that's the way it's done today... maybe that's "modern" ;)

16 minutes ago, Rudolf Meier said:

There are things inside KSP (and unity games in general) that run in parallel and without any locks in a "good luck" kind of method. Means, they do a lot of things at the same time and sometimes the order of execution is different due to timing being different. And then you get such exceptions. I don't like this style, but seems that's the way it's done today... maybe that's "modern" ;)

Squad used to be an advertising company afaik, so it’s not so much modern as it is a concequence of ‘learning as you go’. :D 

• 3 weeks later...

Quick statement: There is a ModuleManager4.0.2.dll in the ServoController.zip. It is accompanied by a readme saying something about modified code.

Quick question: Do I need this MM.dll or is it there just in case someone doesn't have MM?

Follow up on quick question: If I do need the .dll, will it happily co-exist with the MM4.0.3.dll I already have?

Edited by Jognt
Fix typo

26 minutes ago, Jognt said:

Quick statement: There is a ModuleManager4.0.2.dll in the ServoController.zip. It is accompanied by a readme saying something about modified code.

Quick question: Do I need this MM.dll or is it there just in case someone doesn't have MM?

Follow up on quick question: If I do need the .dll, will it happily co-exist with the MM4.0.3.dll I already have?

It's just in case, and it should happily co-exist, at least in theory.

But you only need one copy of MM, whichever's the most recent for your version of KSP.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, miguelsgamingch said:

Still Works Without Breaking Ground Right?

It's a mod design to work with the KAL device and parts from Breaking Ground. To enhance them and how they work.

If you don't have Breaking Ground why would you want this mod?

Finally got a bit of time last night to check on the robotics parts. Life has been VERY busy of late. I fixed the texture issue on the More Servos, should have a patch later this week. I also noticed that the ultra flex joint isn’t being controlled by my plugin, so I will take a look and see what’s going on. I do like the new “Return to build” button on the stock joints, I should have the Home button in my GUI use that if it doesn’t already. Like I said, I have been very busy and don’t remember where I left off...

Meanwhile, I am still running into the “wet noodle” issue with robotics joints. I think turning on per-part collisions will help along with InnerLock. That will help lock a robotic arm in place and keep it from flopping around in flight, but I don’t know what to do with the floppy joints when moving stuff around. It would be nice to have a part that can lock to another part of the same type without touching, so you could move the arm then tell the two parts to create a strut between themselves to hold the arm rigid.

Edited by Angel-125

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.