Missing Parts

kithylin

I know I'm not crazy.. I remember there being structural pieces that would adapt from MK.3 -> MK.2 that did not have fuel in them in much older versions of KSP. I've unlocked everything in the tech tree and My game is at 1.7.1 (due to compatibility with some mods) and I can't find this piece anywhere when building ships in the VAB. Can someone please tell me where this is or what happened to it?

Edited by kithylin

19 hours ago, kithylin said:

I remember there being structural pieces that would adapt from MK.3 -> MK.2 that did not have fuel in them

I sure don't remember anything like that, and I started playing before the Mk3 parts were introduced.  I remember there always having been fuel in basically every part that's either Mk2 or adapts in between Mk2 and anything else.

I started playing the game at 0.23.5, which was before the Mk2 parts were introduced (in 0.25), but after the Mk3 parts (in 0.15).  Is there any chance you're remembering something else Mk3-related that didn't directly involve Mk2?  Or possibly remembering some modded part?

I figured it out. I haven't played in a while and I was just taking one of the fuel tanks that goes from MK2 -> MK3 and pulling the sliders back to 0 so it acted as a empty structural piece because that piece didn't exist normally. That's what I was doing before. I also found a bunch of old parts under GameData/Squad/zDepreciated/ and moved all those back to the active folders and I'm quite happy to get a lot of the older parts back. I was kind of sad not having those parts and now I have them again. I don't know why they removed that.

@kithylin All of those parts were removed because SQUAD has been going through the game and reworking the artwork on many of the parts. They essentially created a new part in many cases, instead of just applying the changes to the original, because the geometry changes in the revamped parts could potentially break craft in flight.

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

@kithylin All of those parts were removed because SQUAD has been going through the game and reworking the artwork on many of the parts. They essentially created a new part in many cases, instead of just applying the changes to the original, because the geometry changes in the revamped parts could potentially break craft in flight.

Uh? They're not critical parts. It's just structural pieces. They don't seem to effect anything. I'm pretty sure they just removed old stuff just so they can "Make shiny new things" so it looks like they changed something when they updated things.

7 minutes ago, kithylin said:

Uh? They're not critical parts. It's just structural pieces. They don't seem to effect anything. I'm pretty sure they just removed old stuff just so they can "Make shiny new things" so it looks like they changed something when they updated things.

Yeah, I’m not sure either. For many of the parts, the geometry didn’t change at all, but they still replaced the parts.

On 7/21/2019 at 1:34 PM, Snark said:

I sure don't remember anything like that, and I started playing before the Mk3 parts were introduced.  I remember there always having been fuel in basically every part that's either Mk2 or adapts in between Mk2 and anything else.

I started playing the game at 0.23.5, which was before the Mk2 parts were introduced (in 0.25), but after the Mk3 parts (in 0.15).  Is there any chance you're remembering something else Mk3-related that didn't directly involve Mk2?  Or possibly remembering some modded part?

Okay an update. I did some searching around last night and I finally figured out what it was. This actually -DID- exist in game. I knew I wasn't crazy. What I was referring to was the "Kerbodyne ADTP-2-3". This is the adapter in-game to convert from MK2 <-> MK3. Originally it was just an empty structural piece and had no fuel in it what so ever. Then in version 1.6.0 of the game they changed this adapter and added fuel to it. You can see the version history here: https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Kerbodyne_ADTP-2-3

So it's not "Missing" and gone, it's just that they changed it and added fuel to it. And we can change the sliders in the VAB down to 0/0 for both liquid and oxidizer and make it back to be how it used to be. 

27 minutes ago, Snark said:

No it isn't.  It's to convert from 2.5m to 3.75m, and has nothing to do with Mk2 or Mk3 at all.

This is the part that converts between Mk2 and Mk3, and has always had fuel in it:
https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Mk3_to_Mk2_Adapter

I'm only concerned about aerodynamics, not what "Physical name" fits. And because of that, when connecting -EITHER- the large round fuel tanks, or MK3 parts to the game there is only the "Kerbodyne ADTP-2-3" if we want a perfectly smooth and round aerodynamic surface on all edges. Both MK3 and the normal 3.73m parts both fit underneath the "Kerbodyne ADTP-2-3". And it used to have no fuel in it.

Anyway, at this point you're just splitting hairs. I found the solution, we can drag sliders to the left to 0/0 and make "Kerbodyne ADTP-2-3" empty like it used to be. Problem solved, thread can be closed now. There's nothing more to be discussed here.

Edited by kithylin

1 hour ago, kithylin said:

And we can change the sliders in the VAB down to 0/0 for both liquid and oxidizer and make it back to be how it used to be. 

Except we can't. The new fuel tank version, when emptied, is significantly more massive than the deprecated structural-only version. This affects use cases where you're not using much LFO tankage on the relevant stage, for example nuclear ships.

You can still find deprecated parts through the advanced part filters, for example show all 3.75m parts and the structural adapter is there. But it's quite possible Squad will remove deprecated parts in future.

56 minutes ago, kithylin said:

I'm only concerned about aerodynamics

Yes, and that's what I'm talking about.

Mk3 parts don't fit perfectly on that adapter.  3.75m parts, do.  If what you want is to join a 2.5m stack to a Mk3 (not 3.75m) stack, then you're using the wrong part.  This is the part you want:

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Mk3_to_2.5m_Adapter

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.