[New] Space Launch System / Orion Discussion Thread

Just now, SunlitZelkova said:

I would assume the answer is yes, but does SLS still have the same "going or exploding" danger at liftoff with its SRBs as the Shuttle did?

Yeah, once the SRBs light up there is nothing you can do to stop them

7 hours ago, Beccab said:
7 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

I would assume the answer is yes, but does SLS still have the same "going or exploding" danger at liftoff with its SRBs as the Shuttle did?

Yeah, once the SRBs light up there is nothing you can do to stop them

However, SLS does have a solid-fueled launch abort system which can pull the crew to safety if the launch fails.

The Shuttle did not have this, and so any abort prior to SRB separation was LOCV. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2022 at 9:06 PM, sevenperforce said:

However, SLS does have a solid-fueled launch abort system which can pull the crew to safety if the launch fails.

The Shuttle did not have this, and so any abort prior to SRB separation was LOCV. 

probably important to note that A1's LAS is inert, meaning if anything goes wrong Orion won't get pulled to safety.

52 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Seems like short-sighted design to not have the FTS be pad-serviceable 

I've heard they've been in the "firm, fixed price" part of the contract for awhile.  If so, it was an oversight.  But remember the whole point of the SLS is to be expensive and provide as much pork as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

My reactions to this-

1. With Snoopy, four Lego minifigures, and now Shaun the Sheep, I love how this flight is basically crewed by toys and mannequins

2. I would love to see the reaction on the NASA accounting people's faces when they read the manifest for Artemis I and have to go over multiple... toys

3. The kid part of me loves this, but the adult part finds this to be an interesting point of ridicule- it could be said that we are utilizing a $4 billion rocket just to launch toys around the Moon, and then use it two to three times again to irradiate some astronauts multiple times and increase their risk of cancer

21 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

My reactions to this-

1. With Snoopy, four Lego minifigures, and now Shaun the Sheep, I love how this flight is basically crewed by toys and mannequins

2. I would love to see the reaction on the NASA accounting people's faces when they read the manifest for Artemis I and have to go over multiple... toys

3. The kid part of me loves this, but the adult part finds this to be an interesting point of ridicule- it could be said that we are utilizing a $4 billion rocket just to launch toys around the Moon, and then use it two to three times again to irradiate some astronauts multiple times and increase their risk of cancer

On one hand seing Shaun on the rocket is pretty cool, but on the other hand he couldn't actually survive the trip because Artemis I has no life support system and that's kind of a big plot hole

Edited by Beccab

28 minutes ago, Beccab said:

On one hand seing Shaun on the rocket is pretty cool, but on the other hand he couldn't actually survive the trip because Artemis I has no life support system and that's kind of a big plot hole

Besides, it should be Wallace and Gromit

47 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

It was nice to see Jeb in the Starliner cabin, but really this whole "stuffed toys in space" ("zero-g indicator") thing is kind of ridiculous.

If Salyut 7 is historically accurate, it was actually a Soviet tradition originally, dating at least back to the 80s.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.