[New] Space Launch System / Orion Discussion Thread

9 hours ago, Codraroll said:

Oh, it was definitely human-rated. One can't just put together any contraption of seats and wheels and take it into traffic. Try riding the Voyager 1 down a highway, you would be pulled over for lacking some quite essential features (most notably, and probably quite puzzling to the cop who pulled you over, wheels). That Tesla design went through a rigorous approval process to ensure it fulfilled a variety of different criteria to be legally usable in traffic. That's human-rating even by a very strict definition of the term.

Yeah, but at the risk of sounding obvious, while it’s a human-rated car, it’s not a human-rated spacecraft.

1 hour ago, RyanRising said:

Yeah, but at the risk of sounding obvious, while it’s a human-rated car, it’s not a human-rated spacecraft.

It's human-rated in one domain, but went a bit beyond that for the particular journey in question. Similar to how the Apollo 10 capsule probably wasn't rated for taking crew to solar orbit for six decades.

13 hours ago, Codraroll said:

Oh, it was definitely human-rated. One can't just put together any contraption of seats and wheels and take it into traffic. Try riding the Voyager 1 down a highway, you would be pulled over for lacking some quite essential features (most notably, and probably quite puzzling to the cop who pulled you over, wheels). That Tesla design went through a rigorous approval process to ensure it fulfilled a variety of different criteria to be legally usable in traffic. That's human-rating even by a very strict definition of the term.

We are discussing human rating for space though. You are correct- the Tesla is human rated on Earth- but not in space.

If we built a standard cookie cutter house on the Moon, no one is going to call it “a human rated structure in space” because people can not practically live there. Likewise the Tesla does not qualify as human rated for the purpose of this discussion.

2 hours ago, Codraroll said:

It's human-rated in one domain, but went a bit beyond that for the particular journey in question. Similar to how the Apollo 10 capsule probably wasn't rated for taking crew to solar orbit for six decades.

The point is if it is human rated for space. The Tesla could not carry humans in space because it has no life support. The Apollo 10 LM could have taken humans to solar orbit, albeit on a suicide mission- but they could still do it.

7 hours ago, tater said:

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/track-nasa-s-artemis-i-mission-in-real-time

screen_shot_2022-08-09_at_6.58.47_pm.png

Real time mission tracking (a friend is working on this)

Interview about Artemis imaging systems:

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/audio/ep226_artemis_imagery_1.mp3

Looks really good. Just needs to make sure it's ready for the Artemis I launch though, because that's coming up real soon.

Edited by intelliCom

56 minutes ago, intelliCom said:

Looks really good. Just needs to make sure it's ready for the Artemis I launch though, because that's coming up real soon.

Yeah, they are working hard to get it ready, apparently.

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Grrr now why would they not make that video available in Canada, it can't be that top secret...

Let me summarize: It’s a character study of the lead flight director. My assessment is that if Artemis fails, it definitely won’t be Rick LaBrode’s fault.

Also, the newscasters back in the studio were offensively vapid. The forum filter prevents me from giving a proper take on the contrast.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.