[New] Space Launch System / Orion Discussion Thread

Hydrogen bleed configuration has been correctly switched on three RS-25, but engine #3 not. Troubleshooting has been ongoing, now they're going to make the engines warm up and then chill them down again hoping this equalizes the temperatures

8 minutes ago, darthvader15001 said:

Timer paused at t- 00-40-00 for the engineers to discuss the problem with the flight director

I will be posting frequent updates on the launch here.

@Beccab already was, but they seem to have stopped.

Edited by intelliCom

4 minutes ago, intelliCom said:

@Beccab Already was, but they seem to have stopped.

Yeah I was having launch, it didn't seem to be happening much atm. Good news is that the flange issues has been solved, so the main blocker now other than time is RS-25 hydrogen bleed

2 minutes ago, Beccab said:

so the main blocker now other than time is RS-25 hydrogen bleed

Do we know any details about the hydrogen bleed? Is there a leak in the pipes from the tank to one of the engines? Or is the engine itself leaking hydrogen? Is this kind of issue a critical one, or is it possible they'll be able to disregard it and launch anyway? Thanks :)

3 minutes ago, michal.don said:

Do we know any details about the hydrogen bleed? Is there a leak in the pipes from the tank to one of the engines? Or is the engine itself leaking hydrogen? Is this kind of issue a critical one, or is it possible they'll be able to disregard it and launch anyway? Thanks :)

They don’t want to take any risks, so they paused the countdown

3 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

From what I just heard, that was resolved

I don't think so. Mind citing a source? I've been following NASA TV's stream with operational commentary and I didn't hear anything about that.

5 minutes ago, michal.don said:

I think the problem is that Engine 3 isn't in a hydrogen bleed like the other engines are intentionally doing. I am probably wrong though.

Edited by intelliCom

3 minutes ago, darthvader15001 said:

Hmm, I’ll try to find him in the crowd:wink: I mean everyday astronaut

Probably pretty bad if they had to pause the timer

Well to be totally fair they pause it when a fly lands on it, but a potential crack and fuel issue sounds pretty bad.

4 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

Well to be totally fair they pause it when a fly lands on it, but a potential crack and fuel issue sounds pretty bad.

That "crack" was basically an optical illusion; nothing to worry about I think. Main issue we've heard of now is Engine 3's lack of hydrogen bleed.

14 minutes ago, michal.don said:

Late reply but, the issue is that an SSME before firing must be chilled down and capable of "bleeding" LH2/LOX when commanded by mission control in order to be started correctly; three RS-25 are working correctly, but engine #3 isn't doing it which led to some delays in the countdown and now the half an hour unplanned hold. This is the part that should have been tested in the Wet Dress Reharsal number four, but wasn't because issues with the fueling operations interrupted the countdown too early making this the first complete hydrogen bleed test on Artemis I (and probably the first time it's done since 2011)

We're now half an hour from the opening of the launch window, and 2 hours and a half from its closure

Uh oh:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.