[New] Space Launch System / Orion Discussion Thread

6 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Late reply but, the issue is that an SSME before firing must be chilled down and capable of "bleeding" LH2/LOX when commanded by mission control in order to be started correctly; three RS-25 are working correctly, but engine #3 isn't doing it which led to some delays in the countdown and now the half an hour unplanned hold. This is the part that should have been tested in the Wet Dress Reharsal number four, but wasn't because issues with the fueling operations interrupted the countdown too early making this the first complete hydrogen bleed test on Artemis I (and probably the first time it's done since 2011)

Thanks a lot for the answer! Makes sense, but really starts to sound like bad news.

Michal.don

1 minute ago, Minmus Taster said:

The stars have blessed me! I had things going on right as it was supposed to launch.

Feel bad for all those who went to go see it and will have to leave soon, that'll be a PR nightmare :/

Especially if someone starts comparing it with the Saturn V, that one had nearly no scrubs over a dozen launches. Not even Apollo 4, the first Saturn V launched

2 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Especially if someone starts comparing it with the Saturn V, that one had nearly no scrubs over a dozen launches. Not even Apollo 4, the first Saturn V launched

Don’t think about it, it’ll give the nasa guys nightmares of being fired!

4 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Best comparison is Space Shuttle, since it shares the most technology.

Interesting trivia: STS-1 (the first Space Shuttle flight) had a launch attempt halted and re-done two days later.
Mind you, this was for a computer problem instead of an engine problem, but regardless, not even the space shuttle aced its first launch attempt.

Edited by intelliCom

1 minute ago, Beccab said:

The Saturn V comparisons have existed for years, not much more they could do to dig the rockets reputation into the ground other than blowing it up on Artemis 2 or 3.

Honestly I'd rather they scrub it if there's an issue, it's better then watching the thing R.U.D and then having a repeat of Constellation.

6 minutes ago, intelliCom said:

Best comparison is Space Shuttle, since it shares the most technology.

Interesting trivia: STS-1 (the first Space Shuttle flight) had a launch attempt halted and re-done two days later.
Mind you, this was for a computer problem instead of an engine problem, but regardless, not even the space shuttle aced its first launch attempt.

Partially agree, but the difference there is the flight profile: STS-1 with its simple launch to LEO and back could launch whenever it wanted, here if SLS doesn't launch on 2/9 or on 5/9 at the lastest there's going to be a delay of two months before it can launch again as the refurbishment in the VAB would make it miss the next launch period

1 minute ago, tater said:

No clock on coverage I have up, what was it at the hold?

Unplanned hold at T-40, but the clock was already going to be brought back a bit before. If it restarts we're looking at 1 hour at least imo

5 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Partially agree, but the difference there is the flight profile: STS-1 with its simple launch to LEO and back could launch whenever it wanted, here if SLS doesn't launch on 2/9 or on 5/9 at the lastest there's going to be a delay of two months before it can launch again as the refurbishment in the VAB would make it miss the next launch period

True. Honestly, I don't like the way SLS is designed nor the way it's managed, but I appreciate its purpose.

This is going to sound kind of strange, but SLS getting cancelled would hopefully teach NASA to try and look toward the future instead of reusing tech like they tried in previous attempts (i.e., Jupiter DIRECT, Constellation). If NASA keeps being stuck in the past, at least private companies will have a chance to truly shine and demonstrate what not being on Congress' leash looks like.

Edited by intelliCom

7 minutes ago, intelliCom said:

This is going to sound kind of strange, but SLS getting cancelled would hopefully teach NASA to try and look toward the future instead of reusing tech like they tried in previous attempts (i.e., Jupiter DIRECT, Constellation). If NASA keeps being stuck in the past, at least private companies will have a chance to truly shine and demonstrate what not being on Congress' leash looks like.

One of my problems with it is not that it's Shuttle derived, but that despite that it's just enough different from STS that you need a new launchpad, two new transporters, a looong list of redesigns to the External Tank in order to make it survive the SSME thrust from the bottom instead of the side and 5-segment SRB to complicate things further. Rockets aren't lego, if you want something that's Shuttle derived make it compatible with the existing infrastructure at least like Shuttle C or even my beloved Shuttle Zunknown.png

Or just make a kerolox rocket which is more efficent and less expensive, perhaps with hydrolox upper stages if you need more deltaV

Edited by Beccab

1 minute ago, darthvader15001 said:

NASA was the star of the show in the 60s but now they just suck.

Only because congress allowed them to be. The biggest problem has always been funding, something that private companies bypass entirely (if they have the money, that is.).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.