[New] Space Launch System / Orion Discussion Thread

5 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

Tim's site says it will land in the Pacific but (a) he doesn't say where, (b) he doesn't cite a source, and (c) he may just be assuming like we did.

That graphic I posted is from NASA.

The ground track of the TLI burn is fascinating... it's the usual sort of track from SSE of HI to VA (?), highest inclination is about DC out over the ATL, then turns South... kisses the West coast of Africa then zings off West.. (the vehicle is climbing away from Earth, while the Earth turns under it)

18 minutes ago, tater said:

The ground track of the TLI burn is fascinating... it's the usual sort of track from SSE of HI to VA (?), highest inclination is about DC out over the ATL, then turns South... kisses the West coast of Africa then zings off West.. (the vehicle is climbing away from Earth, while the Earth turns under it)

I assume you can't share the pic of this stuff, right?

8 minutes ago, Beccab said:

I assume you can't share the pic of this stuff, right?

Yeah, he didn't say not to, but I'll err on the side of not doing it. Sending the pic was faster than explaining it to me in text, and he's sorta busy through tomorrow ;)

40 minutes ago, tater said:

Crap, it's going to be raining in DC tomorrow afternoon.

4 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Looks like according to the graphic @taterposted, it should be coming down near Panama somewhere, as that's the only place I can think of that the two oceans are that close together.  

I see what you did there.

17 minutes ago, tater said:

Yeah, he didn't say not to, but I'll err on the side of not doing it. Sending the pic was faster than explaining it to me in text, and he's sorta busy through tomorrow ;)

Then I'm gonna ask straight to you, from the map do you think TLI will be visible from Italy? It will be over 10 pm so no twilight effect or anything, but it's still night so if it's near enough it should be there

6 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Then I'm gonna ask straight to you, from the map do you think TLI will be visible from Italy? It will be over 10 pm so no twilight effect or anything, but it's still night so if it's near enough it should be there

No time ticks on the track, but it starts heading West on ground track over the coast of Senegal. Given the altitude it might be at... maybe looking SW? It wouldn't be in LEO, but on TLI it might. There's another brief OMS burn I think at the end after ICPS sep.

There will be ground tracks online I'm sure once it launches.

Figure out what direction Dakar is, it seems to turn just about there.

I had a dream last night where I was standing underneath the tower at LC-39B, and SLS exploded not because of a problem with engine 3, but instead because the boosters did not light simultaneously.

I still got away with just some deep lacerations on my right knee, which were later treated in a painful manner.

If it were to fail, I somehow have the strong feeling public opposition to the rocket could be enough to get it cancelled. The problem is is that unlike during Apollo 1, where NASA was being problematic unbeknownst to Congress and then as the purse-holder they then cracked down on the contractor issues, Congress is creating the contractor issues.

Reading what I just wrote I can’t see how SLS is ever going to end.

1 hour ago, SunlitZelkova said:

I had a dream last night where I was standing underneath the tower at LC-39B, and SLS exploded not because of a problem with engine 3, but instead because the boosters did not light simultaneously.

I still got away with just some deep lacerations on my right knee, which were later treated in a painful manner.

Despite it being just a dream/nightmare, I hope you're alright.

1 hour ago, SunlitZelkova said:

If it were to fail, I somehow have the strong feeling public opposition to the rocket could be enough to get it cancelled. The problem is is that unlike during Apollo 1, where NASA was being problematic unbeknownst to Congress and then as the purse-holder they then cracked down on the contractor issues, Congress is creating the contractor issues.

Reading what I just wrote I can’t see how SLS is ever going to end.

As I've said earlier in this thread, I hope that SLS's potential (likely) failure results in Congress finally getting their act together and try to make something competently. Otherwise private space industry will gain a very significant lead on the government's, and god knows what kind of state NASA will be in then. At least, what state NASA's launch vehicle division will be in. My optimistic side wants to say that they'll revive Venturestar, but with them using SpaceX and ULA as launch contractors, there won't be any need to do such a thing.

https://space.stackexchange.com/questions/37188/how-often-were-space-shuttle-launches-scrubbed

Also, thought this would be interesting; we get an average of 1.9 scrubs for the space shuttle; let's round to 2. A launch vehicle with such a great legacy practically needed two attempts; the worst getting to 6 attempts.

SLS, being as complex as it is, and expensive enough to only be capable of launching once a year, will likely have more scrubs per launch.

2 minutes ago, Cuky said:

I would be hugely surprised if it doesn't end up with a scrub today

Agreed; with the 60% go on weather, and all the leaks that seem to be happening, this one's probably gonna be a scrub too. Still going to stay up late for it, got nothing important tomorrow, and in the small chance that it does launch, I still want to see it live.

Also, unrelated, what's the context behind your post signature? The message by lajoswinkler?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.