[New] Space Launch System / Orion Discussion Thread

5 minutes ago, Cavscout74 said:

I hate to say this, but am I the only one who thinks some of what's coming out of NASA is reminiscent of Challenger?   They are still wanting to try to launch in one breath, then say there's an 80% chance of unfavorable winds on the launch date. 

Overall attitude, perhaps, but at least this is vastly safer because no one is on board.

5 minutes ago, Cavscout74 said:

I hate to say this, but am I the only one who thinks some of what's coming out of NASA is reminiscent of Challenger?   They are still wanting to try to launch in one breath, then say there's an 80% chance of unfavorable winds on the launch date. 

The rollback limitations are real. They have 2 round trips assuming it goes back to the barn Saturday. It's on the pad, they feel comfortable with the GSE after the test... why not try?

7 minutes ago, Cavscout74 said:

You're about the fifth person I've seen make this comment.

1 hour ago, RCgothic said:

Things can change, and different forecasters have different tracks.

It all depends on when it organizes, and where the center of organization is. A little west or S, and it will end up west of FL, vs the southern/crossing versions. Wait and see.

11 hours ago, Beccab said:

Things are looking worse and worse for Cape, a rollout is extremely likely now based on most models

I doubt they see anything really serious. There's shear near the coast, it might make landfall as a Cat 2—but on the opposite coast. Winds and rain? Absolutely. Nothing like a major slamming into the Cape from the SE though.

It's funny to see reporters stunned/amazed/etc that NASA hasn't thrown in the towel and rolled SLS back.

From what I can tell their principal concern is that the workers should be at home not working, but boarding up their houses or something. That honestly doesn't concern me given the fact that they are literally on the other side of the state—anyone here from FL who would board up their house over a cat 2 hitting the opposite coast? My grandparents had retractable shutters, so "boarding up" took like an hour, anyway.

17 minutes ago, tater said:

It's funny to see reporters stunned/amazed/etc that NASA hasn't thrown in the towel and rolled SLS back.

Not rolling it back is either an act of bravery ("We will do this, like we were supposed to"), or act of coping ("Just give us another chance! We're dealing with new technology, problems like this are inevitable!").

1 hour ago, tater said:

Cat 2

Ian is expected to be a Cat 4, not a Cat 2. It's been gradually increasing ever since it was first spotted

SLS can sustain gusts up to 74 knots (not sustained), which have 30% chances of showing up at Cape now. 1 out of 3 is not an acceptable chance for a 4.1 billions rocket

As others have said, Ian has decent chances to be the strongest hurricane in the Gulf in the last 17 years

5 hours ago, Beccab said:

Ian is expected to be a Cat 4, not a Cat 2. It's been gradually increasing ever since it was first spotted

Not when it hits it's not. If it hits South FL it will be more powerful, the farther N it hits the weaker it is likely to be.

Least according to tropical tidbits.

Edited by tater

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.