[New] Space Launch System / Orion Discussion Thread

I watched the night launch of the Apollo 17  Moon rocket on TV... the last lunar mission of the Apollo program. Almost 50 years later, I got to see another Moon rocket night launch. 

My TV screen is considerably larger this time.

7 minutes ago, tater said:

Now I wonder where TLI burn will be...

It's dark and dead clear here

Yeah, a ground track would be nice.

9 minutes ago, Brotoro said:

I watched the night launch of the Apollo 17  Moon rocket on TV... the last lunar mission of the Apollo program. Almost 50 years later, I got to see another Moon rocket night launch. 

My TV screen is considerably larger this time.

Yeah, a ground track would be nice.

Can't find it offhand, so instead of being in bed I texted mission control ;)

Waiting for the answer

It's so amazing to see everyone coming together, from all walks of life, in order to stare at a silly fire stick that goes up and go "wow!"

I just love how we can all find these moments together from all flavors of nations, languages, backgrounds, classes, political parties, and ethnicities, just to watch a silly fire stick go up. I love this for humanity and I can't wait for more moments like these, it just warms my heart

The burn is LONG, though, almost 20 minutes. I recall from the last attempt that the ground track came up past the US, then reversed as it went off to the Moon. So there's a nonzero chance it might be visible.

Edited by tater

39 minutes ago, Hotaru said:

Incredible. I can't believe they actually launched it--and after all those delays, leaks, waivers, etc. it actually worked!

I honestly thought it would never fly--just have one failure after another till it ended up in a museum. Didn't even know it was going up today, just signed on at T-7 minutes by complete accident. Bizarre.

It's kind of a stupid rocket, but if it gets us to the Moon I'll never say another word against it. Hoping ICPS and the service module work as well as the SLS core did!

When the leaks started happening and then tonight they were talking about the loose caulk I kept having reruns of shuttle disasters.  I had to remind myself it was unmanned.  Those were sad times 

Otherwise it would be strange, if X-37 had tested the long-term exposure of "materials", but there is no heavy miltary SRB rocket to deliver the peaceful "material" stations to orbit.

Oops, sorry, forgot 'bout the Moon.
Reading of the KSP forum has ensured me that the puny expensive SLS is for anything but the Moon.

Edited by kerbiloid

4 minutes ago, tater said:

The burn is LONG, though, almost 20 minutes. I recall from the last attempt that the ground track came up past the US, then reversed as it went off to the Moon. So there's a nonzero chance it might be visible.

I really hope someone's imaging it. It was done during Apollo.unknown.png 

4 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Btw, sooner than Starship.

Considering that Starship's final design design dates more than two years after SLS's original launch date and that the original contenders were SLS and FH, it should have never been a race in first place. But this is neither the time nor the place to talk about this stuff 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.