[New] Space Launch System / Orion Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Is that large orange tank of SLS fueled with green or blue hydrogen?

How does it affect ISP?

How can it be recognized by the plume color?

As far as I know,  Green and blue hydrogen refer to the production methods rather than the inherent properties of the substance, should be virtually identical if processed correctly

14 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

Did someone say they were actually gone? My sources say that there is still some life from at least OMOTENASHI. CAPSTONE recovered twice so there is still a chance that they could be saved (it's optimistic but we just watched SLS launch so anything is possible at this point).

Haven't found anything on OMOTENASHI yet, officially at least. Scott Manley trusted that info as correct though, so i did as well

Edit:

I read that the orion capsule made an 18 minute burn to a trans lunar injection.

18 minutes is very long, the ship moves along an 80 degrees angle in that time, making cosine losses rather high. As we know, the efficient way to make long burns is to split them into several apoapsis raising over several orbits.

Anyone knows why nasa did not try it? Is this some kind of technical concern with the engine that can only be ignited a limited number of times, or what else?

18 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

I read that the orion capsule made an 18 minute burn to a trans lunar injection.

18 minutes is very long, the ship moves along an 80 degrees angle in that time, making cosine losses rather high. As we know, the efficient way to make long burns is to split them into several apoapsis raising over several orbits.

Anyone knows why nasa did not try it? Is this some kind of technical concern with the engine that can only be ignited a limited number of times, or what else?

Cutting a TLI into more burns means that the spacecraft passes many times through the van Allen belts instead of just once; this can be reasonable for a robotic probe, but for crewed spacecrafts it's a lot of radiation that should be avoided at all costs.

Also, are you sure the term is cosine losses? Iirc that one refers to the losses caused by having angled engines, but i can't remember the correct one either

43 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Also, are you sure the term is cosine losses? Iirc that one refers to the losses caused by having angled engines, but i can't remember the correct one either

I've always seen the term used in the forum to refer to inefficiency due to a slow burn where prograde is not aligned with the direction of the burn.

If it's a mistake, it's a mistake of the whole forum

3 hours ago, tater said:

I've actually seen the pictures: He is overblowing it. Damage is worse than expected but not structural and not expected to be a major hurdle. There will need to be some fact-finding and mitigation to understand why certain things didn't work as they should, but unless something currently unknown pops up during repairs, it's not a big deal.

I'd especially disagree with it being "multiples of Ares I-X," unless that multiple is one. It's about in the same ballpark.

Edited by jadebenn

3 hours ago, jadebenn said:

I've actually seen the pictures: He is overblowing it. Damage is worse than expected but not structural and not expected to be a major hurdle. There will need to be some fact-finding and mitigation to understand why certain things didn't work as they should, but unless something currently unknown pops up during repairs, it's not a big deal.

I'd especially disagree with it being "multiples of Ares I-X," unless that multiple is one. It's about in the same ballpark.

It makes no difference, the pad is not getting used again for a while (2024?), they have plenty of time to fix it (and repairs will get paid for, so a "win" for Bechtel).

13 minutes ago, tater said:

gopro on the end of each solar panel

That's cool! 

The comms are wifi.  Does that mean they are talking to an on board server that resends via the main comms of the ship - or is it possible for the wifi signal to be picked up by a different satellite? 

(I know wifi is generally considered short range on Earth - but space is a different environment) 

12 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

The comms are wifi.  Does that mean they are talking to an on board server that resends via the main comms of the ship - or is it possible for the wifi signal to be picked up by a different satellite? 

Back home via DSN

1 minute ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

That's better than DSL! 

Well, limited access to the network, they have to point at other spacecraft. They're definitely limited in bandwidth still.

Think they are using a phased array on Orion, actually.

On 11/20/2022 at 6:55 PM, tater said:

There's a gopro on the end of each solar panel.

SNIP

TJ Cooney made a good video on this topic. 

On 11/20/2022 at 7:31 PM, tater said:

Well, limited access to the network, they have to point at other spacecraft. They're definitely limited in bandwidth still.

Think they are using a phased array on Orion, actually.

They've got 2mbps downlink speeds from Orion, at least on average. And yes they are using phased arrays on Orion. They've got 4 on the CM.

Here's a cropped image of one of them:

image.png

Edited by Barzon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.