[New] Space Launch System / Orion Discussion Thread

Kinda wacky that the recovery ship, USS Portland, is equipped with a laser weapon system.

It feels somewhat arrogant saying this when I’m only 21, but we are truly living in the future.

Also lol at USS Portland (Oregon) having a Sasquatch team on board.

OH MY GOODNESS.

Don’t know if y’all continued watching after splashdown, but Bill Nelson just called Artemis III “Apollo III” in the post-event interview.

5 minutes ago, Codraroll said:

I take it the balloons are inflated for celebrating the return? They don't seem to be needed for buoyancy.

(okay, I guess they would be if the craft somehow ended upside down and had to right itself, but as-is, they look a bit goofy).

It's for the next phase of the mission, they will be filled with helium and Orion will take flight again towards Cape as an airship

1 hour ago, Codraroll said:

I take it the balloons are inflated for celebrating the return? They don't seem to be needed for buoyancy.

(okay, I guess they would be if the craft somehow ended upside down and had to right itself, but as-is, they look a bit goofy).

I guess they may be for the case of splashing in rougher seas under duress for stabilization and righting

2 hours ago, Beccab said:

It's for the next phase of the mission, they will be filled with helium and Orion will take flight again towards Cape as an airship

1 hour ago, darthgently said:

I guess they may be for the case of splashing in rougher seas under duress for stabilization and righting

They are to make sure the vehicle doesn't end up in "stable 2" position—bobbing along in a stable way, nose DOWN leaving the crew hanging in their straps.

main-qimg-aab82c92f3eef49499fb6f69b75b83

bouyancy03_TDS01_660.jpg

19 hours ago, tater said:

They are to make sure the vehicle doesn't end up in "stable 2" position—bobbing along in a stable way, nose DOWN leaving the crew hanging in their straps.

main-qimg-aab82c92f3eef49499fb6f69b75b83

bouyancy03_TDS01_660.jpg

I figured "stabilization and righting" covered all that. 

Another obvious point is their bright color to make spotting the capsule if it splashes in an unexpected time and location, maybe at night, as a backup to any locator beacons. 

Also, would prevent total loss of capsule if, say, for some odd reason, occupants opened and flooded the capsule as has been known to happen

Edited by darthgently

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.