[New] Space Launch System / Orion Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Gotta load up on that finger=licking good chicken, I guess. or they need some of that special grease. Those 11 herbs and spices, mmmmmm, chicken.... *drool*

https://images.nasa.gov/details-MAF_20211013_ArtemisIII_OrionCMpack10

Brings new meaning to 'Grease Rocket' 

Urban Dictionary: Grease Rocket

$177M per booster. Lowest price paid on a F9 launch was ~$35M, right? That's how much each segment costs.

Wonder how it is they got to charge NASA 3X as much for the first bunch of launches? Seems like gouging.

4 minutes ago, tater said:

$177M per booster. Lowest price paid on a F9 launch was ~$35M, right? That's how much each segment costs.

Wonder how it is they got to charge NASA 3X as much for the first bunch of launches? Seems like gouging.

by the time those boosters fly, inflation will bring the value of the dollar down more than 3x

My mistake, this contract is for 6 pairs of boosters up to Artemis XIII and including development for BOLE boosters for Artemis IX+, but not actual production.

So that's effectively $530m per pair of boosters. Add $396m for the RS25s.

Ouch.

("But that includes development costs!" "Yes, and we include development costs when talking about the CRS, CCS and HLS contracts as well.")

Edited by RCgothic

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2021/12/engine-controller-artemis-1-delay/

On December 17, NASA announced a delay of the launch of the Artemis 1 mission until no earlier than March 2022.  Artemis 1 will be the first launch of the agency’s Space Launch System (SLS) rocket, which will send an uncrewed Orion spacecraft to the Moon.

The latest delay was caused at least in part by efforts to resolve a problem with an RS-25 engine controller on the rocket’s Core Stage.  The issue first occurred in late November; after four weeks of troubleshooting, NASA decided to replace the controller, which will take place over the next few weeks.

An updated forecast of when the Artemis 1 hardware will be ready to launch will depend on how long it takes to install a spare engine controller and fully resolve the problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, insert_name said:

Artemis 4 will not include a moon landing, to busy setting up the gateway or something.   Wonder what uses they will come up with for lunar starship in the meantime

https://spacenews.com/nasa-foresees-gap-in-lunar-landings-after-artemis-3/

Who knows, perhaps as Artemis 2, 3 and 4 get delayed more they'll decide to make it back a lunar landing. Here's hoping

7 hours ago, RCgothic said:

It's that time of the month when SLS is delayed another month again.

I had been starting to think SLS would launch before Superheavy.

If, and it is a big if, the WDR goes great and there are no other big problems with the rocket I could see it launching in the middle of the May launch window

5 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

I had a dream the SLS launched and instantly turned over and may or may not have landed on people (idk it was a dream).

Lets hope it's not some sort divine warning.

I think somebody should check whether the avionics bay is right side up, just to be sure...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.