What is more frowned upon?

Reinhart Mk.1

Neither.  We all play the game differently.

An ssto is simply a craft that gets to orbit with a single stage.  It has nothing to do with refueling or literally anything you do with it after you get to orbit.

8 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

An ssto is simply a craft that gets to orbit with a single stage.  It has nothing to do with refueling or literally anything you do with it after you get to orbit.

I'm just a realism type of person and realistically it's a struggle for me deciding whether or not to keep the crew (which is only one kerbal but still) in space THAT long or send something to refuel it so it can get to it's destination through brute force. A craft that doesn't need to be refueled to reach a certain destination and back is something I've always thought was impressive, maybe it's just me though.

Just now, Reinhart Mk.1 said:

I'm just a realism type of person and realistically it's a struggle for me deciding whether or not to keep the crew (which is only one kerbal but still) in space THAT long or send something to refuel it so it can get to it's destination through brute force. A craft that doesn't need to be refueled to reach a certain destination and back is something I've always thought was impressive, maybe it's just me though.

Oh no doubt, it is impressive.  It just doesn't have anything to do with the Single Stage To Orbit classification. ;)

If you're going for realism, I think refueling would be better.

1 minute ago, Geonovast said:

Oh no doubt, it is impressive.  It just doesn't have anything to do with the Single Stage To Orbit classification. ;)

If you're going for realism, I think refueling would be better.

Ohhhh you're right there, SSTO just sounds a bit cooler than spaceplane to me lol. I just botched the transfer window and decided i would test it out :)

9 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Neither.  We all play the game differently.

True, and you can make one who require refueling, an Tylo ssto pretty much require refueling on ground and in orbit. 

My longest wait was 18 years going from Jool to Eeloo on a grand tour. 

Dont worry yourself, its a sandboxy style game and you can play it however you desire, regardless of what the community thinks.

Myself, i like to go with sci-fi but with a touch of realism.  I like to make ships that could plausibly exist IRL, specifcally paying attention to minor details like no vernor/RCS inside the ship in a spot where the thusters would never do anything but push against the ship's walls, minimal fuel clipping.  Ill clip only when i absolutely need to cause of armor requirements, but even then i clip only so much as could fit in the volume around the clipped tanks (for example im totally ok clipping 4 mk1 LF tanks into a mk2 cargo bay as that much fuel would realistically fit in there if you could change the shape of said fuel tanks as desired, and ill clip 2 mk1 LF tanks into a mk2 fuel tank as it has 1/2 of the fuel that would realistically fit its volume).  i dont play with commnet enabled as i feel its actually unrealistic since even today we have the technology to make very basic AI that could ioperate machinery on its own given sensors and proper programming.  Until we get some way to preprogram advanced routines for ships (and i mean beyond just point at prograde/radial/whatever), commnet is staying off for me.  Also, i try to make any ship that i intend to stay in space have enough living spavce to fit at least 2 times as many kerbins as would normally man the ship, just to make it more immersive since a real crew would prefer the ability to move around some (so pretty much anything cruiser or larger has ample crew storage space).  Most of all, i keep the vast majority of my creations using the stock engines since i really like having to contend with limitations to things like dV and not just install a FLT drive mod to magically get where you are going (regardless of whether its possible to do so or not IRL, and yeah, i havent been at area51 so i cant comment on what we truly have available there).  Then ofc i like to do battles so i do arm many of my ships (prefer stock weapons for the most part but i do use BDA here and there), even though IRL its unlikely we would see unguided missiles being fired from a vessel's broadside).

Anyways, back to your scenario, IRSU style refueling is (at least based on earth human tech) probably more realistic since we currently have the technology to manufacture fuels in some quantities from other planets at least in testing stages (spacex mars missions actually plans to set up a refinery).  30 years is probably doable too if you had a closed loop life support system, but its doubtful such a mission would happen without visiting some other planet to get some matter on the ship that cant be fully closed loop (at least to obtain basic minerals needed to live off of).

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

I'm probably not a good person to respond...

I'm still waiting for the DLC that will add parts so I can build jump gates in orbit.   ...as well as some sci-fi FTL-ish drives.

Jump gates are a genius idea!

/* add that to my mod to-do list */

3 minutes ago, Tekaoh said:

I mean all you'd really need is a docking port that could transport your craft to another linked docking port somewhere... Right?

4 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

I mean all you'd really need is a docking port that could transport your craft to another linked docking port somewhere... Right?

I envisioned some object in orbit that, as long as you're within some number of meters, you can just use a UI menu to select another object in some other orbit elsewhere and be warped to within some number of meters of it. Then you'd actually be required to send one of these things to each place you'd like to go. They could be made to be pretty heavy so as to maintain some difficulty in delivering them to other planets. And perhaps there's an electrical expense or something. They might either work in pairs, or maybe any gate can deliver you to any other one.

Just now, Tekaoh said:

I envisioned some object in orbit that, as long as you're within some number of meters, you can just use a UI menu to select another object in some other orbit elsewhere and be warped to within some number of meters of it. Then you'd actually be required to send one of these things to each place you'd like to go. They could be made to be pretty heavy so as to maintain some difficulty in delivering them to other planets. And perhaps there's an electrical expense or something. They might either work in pairs, or maybe any gate can deliver you to any other one.

So basically the rendezvous option in the F12 menu.

1 minute ago, Geonovast said:

So basically the rendezvous option in the F12 menu.

Well, yea. But a jump gate mod could include an object with a texture to tickle the imagination :P

Just now, Tekaoh said:

Well, yea. But a jump gate mod could include an object with a texture to tickle the imagination :P

That would be neat.  Since the basically functionality exists in the game already, it would probably help with the creation of the mod.

That said, I thought mods like this existed already?  Maybe I'm wrong.  I know there are warp-drive mods.

2 minutes ago, Tekaoh said:

Yeah, but I'd be wary of making it super heavy.  Maybe having to assemble 2-3 items that could fit in Mk2 cargo bays is more where I was going.  I was also thinking in terms of having the devices paired, as opposed to having a list to just go to anyone you select.   ...and maybe only allowing one per planet/moon.  So to get to Jool, I might have to go to Duna to leapfrog my way around?

4 minutes ago, Tekaoh said:

Maybe we take the discussion to our own thread if you want to noodle on it some more.  If you are going to build something, would probably be good to decide on the rules of the game and brainstorm a bit before working too long on the gameboard.

1 hour ago, Tekaoh said:

Your profile picture fits your comment perfectly!

I have no shame in refueling by ISRU since for me it seems more plausible that a space program would do that as opposed to having their astronauts come back with gray hair and wrinkles.

1 hour ago, Fraston said:

Your profile picture fits your comment perfectly!

i thought so too lol

1 hour ago, Fraston said:

I have no shame in refueling by ISRU since for me it seems more plausible that a space program would do that as opposed to having their astronauts come back with gray hair and wrinkles.

I just like to think Kerbals never age, LOVE space more than anything else, and have faith in their crafts. But then again some of the encounters are WAAAAY too long lol

2 hours ago, Reinhart Mk.1 said:

I just like to think Kerbals never age, LOVE space more than anything else, and have faith in their crafts. But then again some of the encounters are WAAAAY too long lol

In my KSP brain cannon, kerbals don't age, stay healthy in micro-gravity, and are able to engage in interesting online activities like reading, having discussions with other kerbals, and contributing to open source projects from the comfort of their command pods. The years thus pass quickly. It sure is good that their network communications aren't limited by silly things like the speed of light.

40 minutes ago, Tekaoh said:

In my KSP brain cannon, kerbals don't age, stay healthy in micro-gravity, and are able to engage in interesting online activities like reading, having discussions with other kerbals, and contributing to open source projects from the comfort of their command pods. The years thus pass quickly. It sure is good that their network communications aren't limited by silly things like the speed of light.

this should be an in-game description, this is spot on. especially the "stay healthy in micro-gravity" part. i really like to think that even though it's their home planet they don't really like being on kerbin longer than they need to

1 hour ago, Reinhart Mk.1 said:

this should be an in-game description, this is spot on. especially the "stay healthy in micro-gravity" part. i really like to think that even though it's their home planet they don't really like being on kerbin longer than they need to

Yea, gravity is a real downer :rolleyes:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.