The Upcoming Movies (and Movie Trailers) MegaThread!

StrandedonEarth

2 hours ago, tater said:

Please don't be terrible, please don't be terrible, please don't be terrible, please don't be terrible....

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

5. Bene Gesserit are not shown. Probably still playing in the remake of Charmed.

LOL

5 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Please don't be terrible, please don't be terrible, please don't be terrible, please don't be terrible....

IKR?

As awful as the first Dune movie was, it's funny because a friend of mine is in it. He was a kid at the time, it was before I knew him.

9b2.jpg

4 minutes ago, tater said:

Disgusting. I wonder if they'll keep any of the source material this time. Though to be completely honest, if they ditch the last half of the third book and come up with something... else... but keep the first 5/6ths of the story, I won't consider that too much of a loss. I love the first two books in that series, hate how it ended.

Edited by Cydonian Monk

5 minutes ago, Cydonian Monk said:

Disgusting. I wonder if they'll keep any of the source material this time. Though to be completely honest, if they ditch the last half of the third book and come up with something... else... but keep the first 5/6ths of the story, I won't consider that too much of a loss. I love the first two books in that series, hate how it ended.

Agree completely on the ending.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/three-body-problem-series-netflix-david-benioff-d-b-weiss-alexander-woo-1234755170/

(no paywall)

its happening!

this is just a teaser i think the real trailer comes out tomorrow. 

On 9/6/2020 at 8:25 PM, kerbiloid said:

Raised by Wolves (so far, 3 eps)
"Look! We have watched the last season of Westworld, and are fond of Vikings and those cultist clothes from The 100, and can play with color filters in Adobe After Effects!"

its one of those things where its a great concept but i worry that they may not be doing it right.

40 minutes ago, tater said:

Not a fan of the 'thopters, but looks OK.

Hide contents

(orniththopters, not insectothopters)

If they made them look like birds it would just confuse the masses. Dragonflies hover.

I'm not sold on Timothee Chalamet yet. But I'm not ready to write him off either. I guess I'll have to just see it.

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

If they made them look like birds it would just confuse the masses. Dragonflies hover.

Not how I envisioned them (YMMV).

I'm not sold on Timothee Chalamet yet. But I'm not ready to write him off either. I guess I'll have to just see it.

Like most stories that have children in the primary roles, it's really hard to cast. Paul is 15 at the start of the book after all.

FWIW, the look of the first Dune movie was actually OK.

1 minute ago, tater said:

Not how I envisioned them

+1
I envisioned them as falling from sky fuselages and wings cracked off by vibration.

How did they drive Sarlacc out of the sand? And why?

And why do they call Tatooine "Dune"?
Also where is the second star?

The freemen look much better than their future descendants.

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXEXCRKkmnsFlfcZxcRPI

(But what should we expect after many centuries of their unhealthy chemistry.)

Though, the crawlers still look same (01:13)

Spoiler

databank_sandcrawler_01_169_55acf6cb.jpe

21 minutes ago, tater said:

I never really envisioned them as anything animal-like. I saw them as aircraft with flapping wings. But, apparently, Hollywood can't wrap their heads around that idea.

21 minutes ago, tater said:

Like most stories that have children in the primary roles, it's really hard to cast. Paul is 15 at the start of the book after all.

And many of them turn out really bad. (Looking at you, Jake Lloyd.) So, I guess we'll see.

57 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

I never really envisioned them as anything animal-like. I saw them as aircraft with flapping wings. But, apparently, Hollywood can't wrap their heads around that idea.

Yeah, me, too. Bird-like only in that they could alter the wing geometry in multiple ways.

58 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

And many of them turn out really bad. (Looking at you, Jake Lloyd.) So, I guess we'll see.

Game of Thrones had an issue as well. All the roles were cast too old, the only ones that seems closer to right were Joffrey and Arya—and the latter became an adult form-factor during the years of filming (instead of still being fairly young by the point the books have run out).

19 hours ago, tater said:

FWIW, the look of the first Dune movie was actually OK.

i liked dune '84. i liked the visual style, especially the sandworms (the worms in the miniseries kind of looked a bit small i thought). also thought patrick stewart made a good gurney hallack. but considering i had to watch it 4 times (and never the same cut, there were so many) to figure out what the hell was going on i can understand how it flopped with movie goers.but eventually it became one of my favorites. wasnt until i saw the miniseries and finally read the books that i really had any issue with it. if you are going to watch it now get one of the newer fan cuts, i think i liked the alternative version redux 2, but there are many others i haven't seen yet. 

18 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

No cursed little girls to call excellent Jodelle Ferland.

Upd.
In the second part there is one (Paul's sistah).

to be fair alia was awoken to other memory in the womb. so by the time she was born she was already the oldest person in the room so to speak. things did not end well for that little abomination.

Edited by Nuke

45 minutes ago, Nuke said:

i liked dune '84. i liked the visual style, especially the sandworms (the worms in the miniseries kind of looked a bit small i thought). also thought patrick stewart made a good gurney hallack. but considering i had to watch it 4 times (and never the same cut, there were so many) to figure out what the hell was going on i can understand how it flopped with movie goers.but eventually it became one of my favorites. wasnt until i saw the miniseries and finally read the books that i really had any issue with it. if you are going to watch it now get one of the newer fan cuts, i think i liked the alternative version redux 2, but there are many others i haven't seen yet.

My high school buddy who lives out in Houston now, his wife loves the 1984 Dune, it's her favorite movie of all time. She refuses to read the books because she believes it will ruin the movie for her.

I read the books long before the '84 movie, so while I liked much of the movie visually, certain parts I hate.

Hated the thopters in that. Hated everything with the stupid sound weapon things they added. I almost walked out.

2 hours ago, Nuke said:

Since I read it first, I understood everything the only time I saw it. I can imagine it was difficult without having already read the libretto ;)

6 hours ago, TheSaint said:

My high school buddy who lives out in Houston now, his wife loves the 1984 Dune, it's her favorite movie of all time. She refuses to read the books because she believes it will ruin the movie for her.

tell her it wont. while i think dune '84 is a visual masterpiece, the book is a literary masterpiece. i think they compliment each other well. even frank herbert himself was impressed with the film even if your lowest common denominator movie goers weren't.

4 hours ago, tater said:

I read the books long before the '84 movie, so while I liked much of the movie visually, certain parts I hate.

Hated the thopters in that. Hated everything with the stupid sound weapon things they added. I almost walked out.

Since I read it first, I understood everything the only time I saw it. I can imagine it was difficult without having already read the libretto ;)

i have to say that some of the effects are inconsistent. i really liked the worms and the spice harvesters. the 'thopters were terrible. on the outside it looked like a cardboard kiddie fort, yet they still managed to make the interior into a steampunk masterpeice. also it seems like they forgot to add effects to several shots. you hear the sound and the guy falls over, but there is no flash or anything. the space scenes left a lot to be desired. like the shots of the heighliner looked like concept art with some compositing effects added on, like they ran out of money and had to come up with something at the last minute. 

Edited by Nuke

I'm bullish on this new Dune movie, but I've always liked the universe. The casting of Jason Momoa as Duncan gives me hope that the series _might just_ continue on to the parts where his character is interesting. Or at least maybe it's planned to do so. 

8 hours ago, Nuke said:

i liked dune '84. i liked the visual style, especially the sandworms (the worms in the miniseries kind of looked a bit small i thought). also thought patrick stewart made a good gurney hallack.

And Max von Sydow will remain the best [male] Kynes on film (for now). (FWIW I have no issue with the change made to Kynes... at least not until I see the film.)  Casting for the David Lynch Dune was generally great, and despite its issues it's still one of my favourites. I might be one of the few, but I've always thought the whole "weirding modules" thing was a nice addition and/or change. 

23 minutes ago, Cydonian Monk said:

I'm bullish on this new Dune movie, but I've always liked the universe. The casting of Jason Momoa as Duncan gives me hope that the series _might just_ continue on to the parts where his character is interesting. Or at least maybe it's planned to do so. 

And Max von Sydow will remain the best [male] Kynes on film (for now). (FWIW I have no issue with the change made to Kynes... at least not until I see the film.)  Casting for the David Lynch Dune was generally great, and despite its issues it's still one of my favourites. I might be one of the few, but I've always thought the whole "weirding modules" thing was a nice addition and/or change. 

i dont think the gender swap on kynes is a big deal. though i think its completely unnecessary on something like dune. between the fremen women and the bene geserit, dune never lacked for strong female characters. i think what they really wanted to show a woman of color in a stem field and kynes was pretty much the only option for that (could have also been one of the mentats i suppose, but piter is a psychopath and thufir is a master of assasins, and i dont think they wanted to portray their token character in a negative light). things like this are acceptable when they aren't forced and do not interfere with the story (dont pull a doctor who). 

Edited by Nuke

On 9/1/2020 at 11:10 AM, Cydonian Monk said:

if they ditch the last half of the third book and come up with something... else... but keep the first 5/6ths of the story, I won't consider that too much of a loss

Yes because if the GoT TV people showed anything, it was their ability to come up with their own ending to a series.

:/