The Upcoming Movies (and Movie Trailers) MegaThread!

StrandedonEarth

i gave in and watched dune on streaming, i have no idea if or when we will get it on the big screen.  i think it was trimmed down a little bit more in editing than it should have been. especially disappointed that we didnt get the scene where jessica smacks duncan around after he comes back drunk on spice beer.  after  3 adaptations i think we should have got this by now. 

3 hours ago, Just Jim said:

OMG!!!  :awe:

HO-LEE-SMOKE!!!! That looks scorching epic!!!!

How many video games is that gonna spawn? Never mind the mod packs….

I know some people complain about the lack of originality in doing pre/sequels and such, but there’s nothing wrong with telling a different story in the same universe. 

Wow

45 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I know some people complain about the lack of originality in doing pre/sequels and such, but there’s nothing wrong with telling a different story in the same universe. 

Wow

Yeah, agreed. I saw some complaints that "He's just a toy".
OK, agreed. But a toy based on WHO??? 
I think if you're going to do one, then this is a really clever way to come at a prequel. 

2 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I think if you're going to do one, then this is a really clever way to come at a prequel. 

On that note, I wonder if we'll get to see any of our favorite characters from the Buzz Lightyear of Star Command series, including (but not limited to)

• Warp Darkmatter
    • Buzz's old partner before he became Agent Z in the movie.
  • Mira Nova
    • At the time, she probably would still be a princess of Tangea.
  • Zurg
  • Commander Nebula
    • Although he may not be a commander at the time of this movie
  • The LGMs
  • XL
    • XR's predecessor and "older brother"

BLTitle.jpg

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, these characters are from an animated show from 2000-2001. It's centered around Buzz Lightyear (voiced by Patrick Warburton)  and his three partners protecting the Galactic Alliance from the likes of Zurg, his minions, and other rogues. Will we get a callback to the series in this new Pixar movie, or will Disney disregard it completely?

• I wonder if anyone on this forum besides me remembers this 20-year-old series
    • If not, then it's probably due to being too young and/or having no childhood
Edited by Mars-Bound Hokie

Spoiler

I know it's already being discussed on the movies megathread, but I wanted to devote a thread specifically for the Buzz Lightyear movie. It may not be popular for long, but at least we'll get our thoughts out while it still is.

This thread is to discuss our thoughts/questions/concerns about the upcoming Buzz Lightyear movie. And when it's officially released, we can tell each other how we felt about it without having to dig through any movie megathreads. Let me start us off.

-----

I thought Disney was done with Buzz Lightyear, but apparently I was wrong. Not only that, this movie will be centered around Buzz Lightyear the character rather than just the toy. I bet it will be interesting to know how Buzz Lightyear became the famous space ranger we all know and love. What I'm really hoping for, however, are connections to the Buzz Lightyear of Star Command series. His story just won't make sense to an "old guy" like me - as in a kid or older in the early 2000s - if I'm left with a lot of questions like "Why wasn't Buzz partnered up with Warp?" or "Hey, Tangea wasn't destroyed." 

• I might, however, be interested if I see some things in this movie that would explain events that occur in the animated series - like maybe the reason the grubs work for Zurg is because a group within the Galactic Alliance burned their homes down.
  • If you're old enough to remember this series, you'll probably have a lot of questions too.

Characters I hope to see include, but are not limited to:

• Evil Emperor Zurg (duh)
  • Warp Darkmatter
    • But don't let Buzz know that he's been taking bribes from Zurg since the academy at this movie. He doesn't find out until some time after Warp fakes his death in the 2000 animated movie.
  • Commander Nebula
    • Although I won't be surprised if he's not a commander at the time of this movie.
  • LGMs
    • Little Green Men - three-eyed little creatures that keep Star Command running
    • Look like the aliens that say "Strangers from the outside." and "The claaaawwww!"

Other than all that, can't wait to see it.

1 hour ago, Mars-Bound Hokie said:

I wonder if anyone on this forum besides me remembers this 20-year-old series

I don't really remember that one, but because I'm too old, not too young... lol...  ;)

2 hours ago, Just Jim said:
3 hours ago, Mars-Bound Hokie said:

I wonder if anyone on this forum besides me remembers this 20-year-old series

I don't really remember that one, but because I'm too old, not too young... lol...  

Yeah in 2000-2001 I was busy fixing up my first house.

My childhood was full of Star Blazers and the Great Space Coaster.

On 10/28/2021 at 2:23 AM, Just Jim said:

I saw some complaints that "He's just a toy".

This one isn't, it seems. A fascinating phenomenon, really: I assume it's an in-universe series. I rightly don't remember anything like that making it to the big screen.

Spoiler

Coming up next:

A7q2G1U_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

14 hours ago, DDE said:

A fascinating phenomenon, really:

It would be interesting to see Lightyear in his pre-academy days, as well as what he did for Star Command before Darkmatter faked his death.

14 hours ago, DDE said:

I assume it's an in-universe series. I rightly don't remember anything like that making it to the big screen.

Too bad the 2000 movie was direct-to-video. It totally deserved to be in theaters when it came out.

Planet Dune (2021)

Asylum can into Dune, too.

Graboid sandworms, Space Forces orbital base, several housewives and a pair of geologists is all what you need on Dune.

And something to cover the head&shoulders, too, but they were not aware.

No spice mining. Probably they have their own. Asylum, you see.

Requesting a dune from Troma, too.

everyone trying to capitalize on the hype that is not their own.  idk how that became a business model. maybe put that money into something original instead? i guess there have always been b movies, but seriously, classic b movies are better than this drivel. 

i also watched star trek prodigy, it was not terrible. though i wish they would have saved the caitian kitten.  the only thing that i didnt like about it was that they brought back the kazon, worst star trek villain ever.  star trek picard kind of hinted that the borg went and ravaged the delta quadrant after voyager went through it, so it definitely needs more borg. though the general grevious that has been taken over by hal 9000 was pretty good. 

Edited by Nuke

On 10/31/2021 at 12:32 AM, Nuke said:

idk how that became a business model.

Very, very long ago. For example, swords with the inlaid inscription VLFBERHT were apparently a hot thing in late Viking-age Europe, and there are occasional cases of patently inferior swords with the same marking. Also on that note,

Overlapping Lightyear threads have been merged.  

Saw Dune today.    Easily the best movie I’ve seen all year.     I tried reading the source material maybe 30 years ago, don’t remember a thing about it.  

With that in mind, this is an amazing movie.   Actors are all top notch.  The set design should win awards.   And while I can’t speak for how close it came to the book, the length of the movies (there will be more) seems to imply they are trying their best to follow the story line. 

And yes, I’m now reading the book. 

2 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Actors are all top notch.

What is a bigger waste: the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, or JJ Abrams originally wanting to kill Oscar Isaac's character off in the first half of Star Wars Episode 7?

11 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

I saw Dune on Friday in an IMAX theater and I don't think I've ever seen a movie better suited to that experience.

From my faded memories of the book, this is a pretty faithful adaptation so far.

Ohhhhhhhhhh...... that would have been epic..... wait..... is GLSC showing it?

Just saw Dune tonight and yeah - I’m with @Gargamel. I love Villeneuve’s sci-fi stuff (must see some of his other films at some point), so I’d been looking forward to this for ages.

It did not disappoint.

Do I get it right that at 00:40 he falls vertically from the orbiting ship?

5 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

Roland Emerich just...REALLY likes blowing things up doesn't He?

Roland Emerich really likes money. The blowing things are liked by the ticket buyers.

Edited by kerbiloid