The Upcoming Movies (and Movie Trailers) MegaThread!

StrandedonEarth

1 hour ago, DDE said:

I'm afraid this stinks.

I like the idea... the story. I think it's hilarious.
But having said that, yeah, I have to agree. I will not run right out and watch it for pretty much every reason you listed   

Edited by Just Jim

17 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I like the idea... the story. I think it's hilarious.
But having said that, yeah, I have to agree. I will not run right out and watch it for pretty much every reason you listed   

Yeah, I expect/hope it will fall in the "so bad it's funny" category. It almost sounds like something Mel Brooks (or his disciples) could have a hand in, without the over-the-top parody. 

19 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I will not run right out and watch it for pretty much every reason you listed   

Then again if you have a Netflix subscription... you already paid for it and it wont be going anywhere hahaha.

As an MCU follower, I'd say the hype train for this one is up there with Endgame and Infinity War. 

On 11/21/2021 at 8:01 AM, kerbiloid said:

Bruce Willis has changed much this summer...

01:00
Why did she not tell about the "size of Texas"?
(And  also "tastes like chicken")

idk what he is doing anymore. he has been in 3 low budget scifi movies in recent years. after watching the first one i decided not to watch the others. they are that bad. 

i think they need to stop doing remakes and reboots. its just an easy out and they almost always do it in a revisionist way and never to the same standards.  so you end up with a mediocre knockoff. 

2 hours ago, Nuke said:

i think they need to stop doing remakes and reboots. its just an easy out and they almost always do it in a revisionist way and never to the same standards.  so you end up with a mediocre knockoff. 

I might sound like a broken record, but the sequels and reboots are a sign of the broader malaise of seeming greater risk-aversion... while at the same time increasingly making dubious crew and cast choices (in extreme cases, this can mean radical reshoots due to change of leadership), and often rushing development to squirt out an incomplete product (often it's the CGI where you notice that). I just don't understand Hollywood these days.

8 hours ago, DDE said:

The new Matrix is ringing all of the bad sequel/remake alarm bells. It's been too long, and you've long since brought the franchise to an end. Let go, Luke.

Pretty sure the new Matrix Resurrected thing is just a two-plus-hour in-person marketing event to convince us to buy another copy of the original Matrix trilogy. 

3 hours ago, DDE said:

I might sound like a broken record, but the sequels and reboots are a sign of the broader malaise of seeming greater risk-aversion.

I might sound like one too, but if endless reboots and sequels means we get more movies as good as Dune and Ghostbusters 3, I'll happily suffer (not going to so what's the big deal anyway) movies like Matrix 4.

1 hour ago, Superfluous J said:

I might sound like one too, but if endless reboots ... Dune....

I'm not sure I consider Dune a reboot. Remake? Maybe. It's not really a reboot int eh sense that SpiderMan has had 8 reboots in the last 20 years. Nothing new under the sun though... look no further than the "original" remake of Ben Hur and other such films of the time for lots of remakes.

1 hour ago, Superfluous J said:

I might sound like one too, but if endless reboots and sequels means we get more movies as good as Dune and Ghostbusters 3, I'll happily suffer (not going to so what's the big deal anyway) movies like Matrix 4.

Yeah, sometimes there's a bit of gold at the bottom of remake pan, but it seems that more often it's just dirt.

Now, expanding on an existing storyverse is a different story. I missed the news that Star Wars: Roque Squadron is being worked on, with an orginal story (not cribbed from the books or games). That sounds like the kind of action barnstormer I can strap into, but I'll have to wait and see what actually hits the screen.

remaking a critically acclaimed classic its always going to suck. they got it right the first time, and there was no need to reboot it. dune does not have this problem, lynch dune was a cult classic at best. miniseries was close to the book but very low budget. its sort of like if you got one of today's best directors to make a reboot of plan 9 from outer space.  cant wait for the christopher nolan reboot of ice pirates (thats not a thing, but id go see it if it were). 

Edited by Nuke