The Upcoming Movies (and Movie Trailers) MegaThread!

StrandedonEarth

Yup, I watched TG:M last night, solid movie and definitely worth seeing in theaters. 

There is a slight element of "wait that doesn't make much sense" but not enough to distract from the core of the film, and appreciate the production. All those actors are actually feeling real Gs and going through actual maneuvers! Makes for a very thrilling movie. 

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, tater said:

Took my son finally. Just got home. Loved it. (TG:M).

Gotta love the footage.

Totally loved the footage. Then we went to the  wayback machine and watched the original, where the 80's tech and F/X were underwhelming in comparison, with the cut/kaboom editing.

But that Tomcat is such a massive beast...

On 5/27/2022 at 7:33 PM, TheSaint said:

TG:M was the most entertaining piece of jingoistic drek I've been privileged to watch in years. I hope it makes a billion dollars. Totally unironically.

saw it on friday. i thought it was pretty good. dont think ive had that kind of experience at the theater for a very long time.  lately ive been leaving the theater wishing id just spent my money on beer instead. this was not one of those movies. 

im actually shocked our little non profit 1-screen 1-movie a week theater at the highschool got it so fast. it normally takes us 3 months to get movies. 

Edited by Nuke

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not a big fan of Tolkien (too poetic for me), but since I've read his books several times in student years thirty years ago, when the whole fantasy genre was unknown in the USSR, I know the setting pretty good, and just can't watch what this Sauron Films Production made to it.

And no, Galadriel was not a warrior, she was born in Valinor, a princess (who could be so suicidal to bully her?), and her reasons to move to the Middle Earth were purely egoistic, to get a personal kingom.
As well as other elves were following their egoistic reasons, too.

Edited by kerbiloid

I've read the "extra stuff" (being on duty in airport), so a boredom defeated a boredom, and I did it.

But the thing they show looks like the neuronet generated random around-Tolkien images rather than ecranization at all.

A funny thing.
They describe the elvish invasion to Middle Earth as a rise and something exalted, while in the Tolkien narrative it's exactly the opposite, a story of the elvish fall from paradise into material world, 

8 hours ago, tater said:

and I should be the target audience, given I first read his work >40 years ago

Given that they're too busy reinventing it, in truth you're previsely the opposite of the target audience.

50 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

They describe the elvish invasion to Middle Earth as a rise and something exalted, while in the Tolkien narrative it's exactly the opposite, a story of the elvish fall from paradise into material world,

Precisely, but from the viewpoint of someone unfamiliar with the briader canon and its metaphysical inclinations, Middle-Earth is the exalted place (especially compared to IRL).

My preferred mental framework for dissecting bad cinema plots is to try and intuit the tell-tale signs of different writers with different understandings - for example, you can see in Armageddon that they did at some point have a mostly scientifically accurate high-level plot, and then all the usual space inaccuracies were added on top of it. Here, it seems that someone was aware of the Tolkien mythos, but then someone else put in the generic mythos of exploring and colonizing a brighter and more exciting New World.

02388v.jpg

7 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Weird I didn't get that feeling at all, and at the end of the episode some elves went back and it was the highest honor they could receive. Tantamount to going to Heaven.

9 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

Weird I didn't get that feeling at all, and at the end of the episode some elves went back and it was the highest honor they could receive. Tantamount to going to Heaven.

IIRC that's the 'Going West' thing the Elves were doing.

@kerbiloid - were you talking about this?  The Silmarillion - Wikipedia... oh wait, no... no, it's not.  (Can't link to the translation b/c of forum language rools.)

But... this excerpt?  Is it accurate?

Melkor had the most powerful amp and speakers of all Ainur, so those floating in space next to him inadvertedly picked up the screams of "What's up, I got Patrone in my cup!". Upon hearing the screwup, Eluvatar rose and with a fatherly smile started a new song, and it had new strength and new beauty. But the beautiful words about broken hallelujah were once again mixed with screams of "One Boy, One Girl" - and although there were no boys or girls among the Ainur, Melkor was getting the upper hand again.