The Upcoming Movies (and Movie Trailers) MegaThread!

StrandedonEarth

https://screenrant.com/rings-power-season-2-lotr-canon-tolkien-details/

Rings Of Power Season 2 Will Be More Canonical, Says LOTR Showrunners

Can't understand. As there no hobbits at all before the Hobbit/LOTR, what does it mean, "canonical"?

Will the elves have Canons or cannons?

P.S.
In Jackson's LOTR mostly Frodo was a terrible miscast.
(For me - also Eowyn was, but many think different. But Frodo is just a worst opposite to the book character.)

The RoP is a total miscast itself, in almost every canonical character.

Edited by kerbiloid

On 11/7/2022 at 1:01 AM, kerbiloid said:

In Jackson's LOTR mostly Frodo was a terrible miscast.
(For me - also Eowyn was, but many think different. But Frodo is just a worst opposite to the book character.)

The RoP is a total miscast itself, in almost every canonical character

Explain, pazhalsta.  Aside from being a bit too weepy looking - I wasn't bothered by the casting. 

Vis RoP - the casting seems to be a preference for actors who possess some vague visual resemblance to Jackson's cast.  Although Galadriel should have been filmed to look more than 6' tall, as Cate Blanchett was.  The Elrond actor had a very vague resemblance Hugo Weaving - he lacks so much of the 'air' that Weaving gave the character. 

58 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Aside from being a bit too weepy looking - I wasn't bothered by the casting. 

The only one in LoTR I had a problem with was Elrond. I kept waiting for him to say "Welcome to Rivendell... Mr. Anderson."   :happy: :valhappy:

4 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Explain, pazhalsta.  Aside from being a bit too weepy looking - I wasn't bothered by the casting. 

Just compare them to the mostly perfect Jackson elves.
A school theatre with random next-door staff, "please, do not shoot the pianist". 
While in the Jackson's series only sharp ears looked terrifying, in this movie they should better put on the plastic noses with glasses and mustaches.

3 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Just compare them to the mostly perfect Jackson elves.
A school theatre with random next-door staff, "please, do not shoot the pianist". 
While in the Jackson's series only sharp ears looked terrifying, in this movie they should better put on the plastic noses with glasses and mustaches.

Whoops - merged my two thoughts; you said you did not like Frodo... why?

33 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

you said you did not like Frodo... why?

Because Frodo is a mid-age (iirc, 50 corresponding to human 35) ruddy and rich farmer, like a more matured version of Sam (who is Frodo's gardener), very household, loving to cook and eat, smoking a pipe at the door, just with some adventure itching ancested from Bilbo.
I.e. a stereotypical caricature farmer like the "Yankee Doodle" hero, thrown into unusual circumstances.

The thing portraying him in the ecranization is in no detail matching real book Frodo, it's a some indistinct nervous youngster. Say "boo!", and he will sit on his back.
Husbandry? Cooking? Hiring somebody? Don't make me laugh, he looks like a fugitive sultan's prisoner, ready to fall down from exhaust and tuberculosis.

P.S.
Btw, the book Frodo and Sam are not teen friends.
They are a farmer and his servant. And this is visible through the whole book.

Edited by kerbiloid

4 hours ago, Just Jim said:

The only one in LoTR I had a problem with was Elrond. I kept waiting for him to say "Welcome to Rivendell... Mr. Anderson."   :happy: :valhappy:

So, we watched The Matrix trilogy for our Halloween trilogy this year. A couple of days later I'm looking at articles on Not The Bee with Thing #2, and in one of the articles they have a meme of Agent Smith levitating off the floor. And he's all, "Oh. Hey. I GET THIS MEME NOW!" 2022 parenting goals achieved. :)

55 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Because Frodo is a mid-age (iirc, 50 corresponding to human 35) ruddy and rich farmer, like a more matured version of Sam (who is Frodo's gardener), very household, loving to cook and eat, smoking a pipe at the door, just with some adventure itching ancested from Bilbo.
I.e. a stereotypical caricature farmer like the "Yankee Doodle" hero, thrown into unusual circumstances.

The thing portraying him in the ecranization is in no detail matching real book Frodo, it's a some indistinct nervous youngster. Say "boo!", and he will sit on his back.
Husbandry? Cooking? Hiring somebody? Don't make me laugh, he looks like a fugitive sultan's prisoner, ready to fall down from exhaust and tuberculosis.

P.S.
Btw, the book Frodo and Sam are not teen friends.
They are a farmer and his servant. And this is visible through the whole book.

I'd forgotten that; he's basically a reprise of Bilbo from Hobbit then.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2022 at 7:40 AM, Nuke said:

just binged 1899. was rather impressed. 

I Googled this after your post to see what it was.  Got halfway through the trailer and it says "From the Creators of Dark

That is all I need to know.  Dark was fantastic. 

Added to the list! 

yea, you have to read a lot of subtitles. theres many different languages. mostly french and german. the protagonist is english speaking though. i guess they wanted to do the tower of babel thing where people have to solve problems without being able to communicate with eachother. 

Edited by Nuke

22 hours ago, Nuke said:

yea, you have to read a lot of subtitles. theres many different languages. mostly french and german. the protagonist is english speaking though. i guess they wanted to do the tower of babel thing where people have to solve problems without being able to communicate with eachother. 

That's one of the better things that they've done with the story.  It really does add a layer of complexity to the telling. 

I'm a couple of episodes from finishing.  Sadly getting a feel for what the reveal is going to be (don't tell me!) - and if I'm right, it's going to be a poor-man's rendition of what Dark did so well. 

(relationships are not what you think they are, characters are not who you thought) 

That show was very well crafted.  This is well done and beautiful - but I fear that the ending will feel thin. 

(New post)

I can strongly recommend 'The English' 

Gut punch of a show. 

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/nov/09/serious-concerns-raised-in-nz-about-environmental-impact-of-major-productions-including-amazons-rings-of-power

Serious concerns raised in NZ about environmental impact of major productions including Amazon’s Rings of Power

Come on, seriously?

Spoiler

After turning a blooming green island into ashy wasteland, they indeed expected to be not blamed in ecocide?

On 11/29/2022 at 8:23 PM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Hey - was it originally in English?  I can't find a non-dubbed German version.  (Dark was a joy to watch in German)

i  got around to binging the first season.  i started watching in english, but quickly switched to german when i felt the voice acting in the dub was a lot worse than the german speaking actors in the show.  anyway it was a slow start but i think im hooked now.

i also have love for any show that uses '80s german thrash metal.

4 minutes ago, Nuke said:

i  got around to binging the first season.  i started watching in english, but quickly switched to german when i felt the voice acting in the dub was a lot worse than the german speaking actors in the show.  anyway it was a slow start but i think im hooked now.

i also have love for any show that uses '80s german thrash metal.

Oh yeah - the German acting is spot on... the English dub reminds me of old Japanese movies.

The music is great.  The seasons are also pretty good; writing remains consistent.  (I won't share my critiques, yet, but I did watch the whole thing twice, which is very rare for me).