StrandedonEarth

The Upcoming Movies (and Movie Trailers) MegaThread!

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Perhaps, instead of a thread for each exciting new movie coming soon, they could all be posted here. Post a trailer, and discuss!

What caught my attention this morning:

Jeri Ryan. 'Nuff said.

I will try to keep the thread title updated with the most recent movie posted.  Or not 

Edited by StrandedonEarth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sincerely hope that Data returns in the new series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@The_Cat_In_Space

It's a new series made by the same guys that did Star Trek: Discovery. Continuity-wise the Picard series wont take place in the Next Generation universe strictly speaking, but in a timeline where the Romulan homeworld was destroyed by a supernova like in the JJ Abrams movies. Star Trek story universes have become exceedingly hard to wrap ones head around ever since the rights to Star Trek were divided as a result of the split of the parent company. Ever since that split the Star Trek movies and series being made have had to adhere to certain stipulations to remain within the licence they are being made under, hence the movies and series made post Enterprise have been substantially tonally different from the old exploratory style of "searching out new life and new civilizations and boldly going where no one has gone before".

This isnt inherently bad but I think it's helpful to understand a bit of the behind the scenes stuff so you know what you're getting. The TL:DR is that Picard will almost certainly be quite different than Star Trek: The Next Generation, fingers crossed that it's different in a good way! ^_^ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dale Christopher said:

Continuity-wise the Picard series wont take place in the Next Generation universe strictly speaking, but in a timeline where the Romulan homeworld was destroyed by a supernova like in the JJ Abrams movies.

Well...almost. The way I believe it actually goes is that Romulus is destroyed in the ‘prime’ timeline, and a chain of events lead to a ‘temporal incursion’ that creates the JJ-verse, and all of the lens-flares and explosions that happen in it :P

So Star Trek: Picard still happens in the same universe as TNG, but I reckon it’s still going to be very different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
Spoiler
1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Well...almost. The way I believe it actually goes is that Romulus is destroyed in the ‘prime’ timeline, and a chain of events lead to a ‘temporal incursion’ that creates the JJ-verse, and all of the lens-flares and explosions that happen in it :P

So Star Trek: Picard still happens in the same universe as TNG, but I reckon it’s still going to be very different.

This is what I mean by Star Trek story universes being hard to pin down these days. And you touch on half of the problem being timelines and canon the other half however is licenceing and branding and what the term “Prime Timeline” is being used by to describe... (it’s not just a generic term, but a legal distinction.)The events of Discovery supposedly takes place in the Prime Timeline prior to to events of TOS, however the ways which Discovery can’t be cannon are quite extensive.

It depresses me too much to get into an in-depth discussion about it, (not that there is a canonical debate to be had, but that identity politics and divisiveness generated by modern entertainment media is a superior business model due to anger generating more of engagement...)

I’ll just say that the thing I loved about Star Trek was that it inspired people by showing them a future in which humanity had put its pettiness aside and grown up to create a civilisation which encouraged people to be the best they could be, for themselves and for each other. May Picard continue that tradition ^_^ 

 

Edited by Dale Christopher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so it got bucked to 2020. meh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

0:13-0:30
I can't say I've ever had that "uncanny valley" sensation triggered by a real person before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

only movie im looking forward to right now is dune (2020). no trailer yet, unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, razark said:

I can't say I've ever had that "uncanny valley" sensation triggered by a real person before.

I agree. He's dressed like Fred, he kinda moves like Fred, but he doesn't sound a thing like a yinzer, so he's obviously not Fred. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not sure if it counts as a trailer, but this is concept footage for the Three-Body Problem animated series being developed by YooZoo Entertainment. It looks very true to the spirit of the books, so I'm incredibly excited!

 

Be warned, it pretty heavily spoils the first two books of the series.

Edited by Mitchz95

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mitchz95 said:

Be warned, it pretty heavily spoils the first two books of the series.

Looks interesting, especially the bits from Dark Forest (which has a wonderfully alien future). I wonder if they'll keep the ending from the third book or make it... at least somewhat palatable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, cubinator said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n1T3HxHd7Y

Darth Creepio confirmed for Star Wars IX

Must say, although not reaaallly following starwars especially having not seen the past several films (read anything released after the prequels) the visuals at least look stunning. 

Wonder also if it's actually the end or if Disney will continue to milk the franchise. 

Edited by qzgy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Wonder also if it's actually the end

Lol. 

Coming soon to a DisneyTron16k Theater Near You: "That Robot Which Appeared Only in a Single Frame in Episode III: A Star Wars Story."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, here's my take on it. I am a child of the 1980s. The F-14 Tomcat will always be one of my favorite "modern" fighters. If you've never seen it in actual combat, there are several YouTube videos where F-14s tangle with various Libyan fighters. The F-14 is like a finely tuned Mustang GT. It is built for high performance.

The FA-18 "Super Hornet" even looks like a lightweight to the F-14. Sure, its manufacturer claims it can hold the exact same armament to the F-14, and because it has superior and more modern computer avionics, they claim the F-14 is simply outclassed. But still, compared to the F-14, the FA-18 looks like the Prius next to the F-14.

U.S. considers Iranian-owned F-14s a threat to the F-22:

https://news.yahoo.com/f-22-raptor-gets-shot-020000454.html

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/fighter-showdown-air-force-f-22-raptor-vs-f-14-tomcat-iran-still-flies-25851

So, will I be watching "Top Gun 2" you ask? No. Not hardly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, qzgy said:

Wonder also if it's actually the end or if Disney will continue to milk the franchise. 

As I understand it, it's the end of the Skywalker story. But don't worry, they will continue to milk that cow until the twin suns of Tatooine go nova. Unless that is what worries you, in which case, you have a lot of worrying to do.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, qzgy said:

Must say, although not reaaallly following starwars especially having not seen the past several films (read anything released after the prequels) the visuals at least look stunning. 

Wonder also if it's actually the end or if Disney will continue to milk the franchise. 

'The Star Wars Finale Will Answer All Of Your Questions,' Says Guy Who Created 'Lost'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Oh, so they're not dead but they're dead. And he planted a clue he expects you to remember in the background during the first 5 seconds of the 7th film. (Explains why they blew so much money on Max von Sydow and then gave him five lines. Maybe he's on the island with Palpatine and Rey too!) Got it. 

Really though, I'll go see this Star Wars trainwreck because bloody everybody will be talking about it. And they do tend to be visually interesting films. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Cydonian Monk said:

Oh, so they're not dead but they're dead. And he planted a clue he expects you to remember in the background during the first 5 seconds of the 7th film. (Explains why they blew so much money on Max von Sydow and then gave him five lines. Maybe he's on the island with Palpatine and Rey too!) Got it. 

Really though, I'll go see this Star Wars trainwreck because bloody everybody will be talking about it. And they do tend to be visually interesting films. 

More like, "Here, this finale will answer all your questions," from the guy who brought you one of the biggest shaggy dog stories in television history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

And at the end of that, there's this nugget...

Quote

At publishing time, sources had confirmed that the D23 Expo allowed one lucky fan to kick a football held by JJ Abrams for a chance to win $1,000,000, but Abrams pulled the football away at the last minute.

So JJ is a reincarnation of Lucy!

Spoiler

latest?cb=20190706205100

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.