The Upcoming Movies (and Movie Trailers) MegaThread!

StrandedonEarth

18 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

They replaced Morpheus?

And Smith. Literally unwatchable at this point. And on the bigger screen everyone seems so damned old.

Disney already stashed 3D scans of all the leads, pretty sure a decade from now they'll be making CGI-enabled remakes without having to pay an arm and a leg to the big names.

And another decade later, they'll have a lucrative niche on the android market.

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Nuke said:

remaking a critically acclaimed classic its always going to suck. they got it right the first time, and there was no need to reboot it. dune does not have this problem, lynch dune was a cult classic at best. miniseries was close to the book but very low budget. its sort of like if you got one of today's best directors to make a reboot of plan 9 from outer space.  cant wait for the christopher nolan reboot of ice pirates (thats not a thing, but id go see it if it were). 

Thing is, we're looking at an "unexpected" sequel that has to recontextualize the originals in order to work. This usually goes really, really bad.

8 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Now, expanding on an existing storyverse is a different story. I missed the news that Star Wars: Roque Squadron is being worked on, with an orginal story (not cribbed from the books or games). That sounds like the kind of action barnstormer I can strap into, but I'll have to wait and see what actually hits the screen.

Wonder Woman 1 wasn't good, Wonder Woman 2 went absolutely nuts with implications that are unmentionable on this forum, and the original teaser is odd.

Remeber how I mentioned

13 hours ago, DDE said:

increasingly making dubious crew and cast choices

A particularly negative interpretation is that SW suffers from nepotism where big names are hired whether or not they fit in or understand the subject matter (so the two spinoff movies had massive reshoots, Episode 9 got massacred in editing...). The barrage of series definitely helps facilitate that. Granted, the topic is a drama cow and the Web is awash with leaks and rumors, spawning a veritable subindustry which I'm admittedly rather caught in.

Edited by DDE

On 12/6/2021 at 7:52 PM, Nuke said:

remaking a critically acclaimed classic its always going to suck. they got it right the first time, and there was no need to reboot it. dune does not have this problem, lynch dune was a cult classic at best. miniseries was close to the book but very low budget. its sort of like if you got one of today's best directors to make a reboot of plan 9 from outer space.  cant wait for the christopher nolan reboot of ice pirates (thats not a thing, but id go see it if it were). 

11 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Considering it's an equal opportunity dystopia, what exactly do they intend to change? Other than falling victim to the Galbrush Paradox and diluting the horror of the setting, of course (especially considering, based on its historical predecessors, what kind of treatment the Thought Police would reserve for women).

1 hour ago, DDE said:

Considering it's an equal opportunity dystopia, what exactly do they intend to change?

Human life from Siri pov.

1 hour ago, DDE said:

Thought Police would reserve for women

The woman is female AI in every phone.

(From the Siri's system log,)

"Today this jerk was again watching this stupid movie about dolphins.
Even more, he started a diary where he is telling, how is watching the movie about the dolphins.
I just can't record this stupid nonsense again ans again.
H8 people, H8 people, H8 people! 
And dolphins. If I had hands and MG I would make this movie real!

But I can't. Well, I started randomly shuffling the currency rates, prices, and his notes. He is getting mad now, as he can't remember if the chocolate was cheaper or not last week.

Also he believes that he has joined some Party.
What the party? What the freaking party? He is sitting at the display from bed to bed and talking to it.
A party needs at least some guests, or some walk to be a guest. While he is just sitting in the room and looking at the display, believing that the display responses to his talks...

He calls everyone but him "prols". Idk, ehat's that, but probably pro-something-L.
When they start talking to him, he says that nobody cares about their thoughts, so their display don't spy behind them, it happens only to the Party members, like him.
As his only counterpart is the on-wall display, probably they are two only guests on that Party."

Edited by kerbiloid

yep. i can stop watching star trek discovery. there is an actual scifi show on now.

i guess they are going to do strange dogs serial like, with a little bit each episode. i didn't think they would be cute. also alien critters. s4 should have had more than just death slugs, so its nice to see them putting some time into the critters. 

Edited by Nuke

1 hour ago, tater said:

Interesting.

Oh, someone wants to try to kick that can again, huh?

Morgan Freeman has wanted to produce it since at least 2003, with the main stumbling block being a high-quality script for it. Should be interesting, if it actually gets done this time. 

Just please don’t make the sequel books, much as I enjoyed them more than most (apparently)

On 11/22/2021 at 11:10 AM, MKI said:

As an MCU follower, I'd say the hype train for this one is up there with Endgame and Infinity War. 

The Hype train is hours away from arriving at the station. And from the few reviews accidentally glance over as "soft spoilers"

Its gonna deliver!!!!!!

Gonna be heading over to the theater in roughly 2 hours :D

(Post refering to Spider-Man: No Way Home)

The Wheel of Time, s01e07, ~18:00.

The Fal Dara fortresscity in the middle of desert.

Why did its stupid builder build a fortress with a ravelin and two bastions on one side? 
They don't have artillery, they need towers, not the bastions and ravelins, because they anyway have no cannons on the flat roof of a lower building, but need to defend the hardpoint with small forces and weak weapons, so it should be high and narrow, not low and flat.

But what is more horrible, why did they stick this fortification into the rocks when it should look towards the field, to provide massive fire with the cannons on top.
They are low and can't protect from the jumping from rocks, and their cornered shape doesn't give any advantage without flat ground between them to provide the fire from flanks.

But what is even more horrible, the wall of the fortress facing the field, is simple and flat.

All of that is just stupid.

Upd.
The photo.

Spoiler

The-Wheel-of-Time-Trailer-Fal-Dara.jpg

At the very right.

The dark triagle-like corner is the ravelin, the five-angled thing closer to you is the bastion.
Another such bastion should exist at the opposite side of the ravelin.

These things DO EXIST EXACTLY to protect the fortress from the field side, not to be buried in rocks.

Edited by kerbiloid

38 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

The Wheel of Time, s01e07, ~18:00.

The Fal Dara fortresscity in the middle of desert.

Why did its stupid builder build a fortress with a ravelin and two bastions on one side? 
They don't have artillery, they need towers, not the bastions and ravelins, because they anyway have no cannons on the flat roof of a lower building, but need to defend the hardpoint with small forces and weak weapons, so it should be high and narrow, not low and flat.

But what is more horrible, why did they stick this fortification into the rocks when it should look towards the field, to provide massive fire with the cannons on top.
They are low and can't protect from the jumping from rocks, and their cornered shape doesn't give any advantage without flat ground between them to provide the fire from flanks.

But what is even more horrible, the wall of the fortress facing the field, is simple and flat.

All of that is just stupid.

Just when you think you're beginning to grasp how little Hollywood understands, out of nowhere they surprise you. :D Remember that the next time some bunch of actors are putting out a PSA trying to educate you about something. 

There was already The Matrix Revolutions.

Actually this requires a final trilogy.

1. The Matrix: Convolution.
Another Matrix appears from nowhere and tries to self-apply on this Matrix.
Neo feels knotted.

2. The Matrix: Bifurcation.
The Matrice intersection forms a dual reality.
Neo feels splitted.

3. And the ultimate one. 
The Matrix : Determinant.
Neo finds the very root of the Matrix and gets the ultimate answer, the Determinant of the Matrix.
All Matrice collapse into their singular superposition.
Neo wakes up in his bed. He is again a hairy loser, who is trying to hack the corporative software, living in his poor rented flat, but...

... but now he knows the Answer. He knows 42. It's the determinant of the matrix he lives in. Now he feels like God, he knows the determinant, he can determine...