The Upcoming Movies (and Movie Trailers) MegaThread!

StrandedonEarth

I'm unapologetically watching 1899 with the English dubs on everybody. If I want to read everything everybody's saying I'll pick up a book.

Yes they're poor in a lot of places but they've a lot more emotion than letters on the screen, and now I get to see what's happening AND know what people are saying. At the same time!

Edited by Superfluous J

2 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

I'm unapologetically watching 1899 with the English dubs on everybody. If I want to read everything everybody's saying I'll pick up a book.

Yes they're poor in a lot of places but they've a lot more emotion than letters on the screen, and now I get to see what's happening AND know what people are saying. At the same time!

FIe!

I will add: as you progress through the city you discover that the Babel of languages is an integral part of the storytelling

idk i watch a lot of foreign films and i think i enjoyed them with subtitles more than dubs, especially since there are many without dubs. 

i do take a few exceptions to languages that are spoken very quickly or films that are dialog heavy, as im a slow reader. spanish and italian for example is very hard to follow. i might enable dubs if i have to rewind a lot. dark and 1899 are both paced well for subtitles and you can read without missing too much.

what i do not like is excessive subtitles in domestic films to artificially make a film more diverse. i like the way they did it in the hunt for red october, they start in russian and once they established that the characters are russian, switch to english.  1899 was doing something different, and i thought it was just as clever. 

20 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

FIe!

I will add: as you progress through the city you discover that the Babel of languages is an integral part of the storytelling

I trust that even though I cannot speak 30 languages, I'm intelligent enough to recognize when the characters are unable to understand each other when the time comes.

53 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

I trust that even though I cannot speak 30 languages, I'm intelligent enough to recognize when the characters are unable to understand each other when the time comes.

Fie AGAIN! 

Fie! 

You are missing out on the 'killer app' of the show (to use the parlance you kids these days might understand). 

The Babel is practically the raison d'etre of the show! 

Frankly - the show is ...okay.  It has some really interesting elements and I'm pretty sure the show runners were counting on at least two seasons to tell the story they wanted to tell. 

It's like 'The OA' - a show that was compelling, unique and very well acted - but that kind of got lost in itself or could not get past a certain thin-ness in the writing/underlying story.  They wanted to get cute with a thing but couldn't find a way past to something deeper. 

'Dark' on the other hand was really well done and managed (in most ways) to navigate those problems. 

On the 1899 multilingual communication.

(Spoiler warning)

Spoiler

(No, seriously, a spoiler).

Spoiler

As all of them are virtual characters, why would they speak in different languages?

Do the NPC not understand each other?

Spoiler

Also.

"American components. Russian components. All made in Taiwan!" (c)

They should think in Chinese.

1 minute ago, kerbiloid said:

On the 1899 multilingual communication.

(Spoiler warning)

Hide contents

(No, seriously, a spoiler).

Hide contents

As all of them are virtual characters, why would they speak in different languages?

Do the NPC not understand each other?

Hide contents

Also.

"American components. Russian components. All made in Taiwan!" (c)

They should think in Chinese.

Spoiler

i think that the simulation is part training drills and part behavioral experiment. i have a feeling there is something wrong with the "real" prometheus and that the people on board are not equipped to handle the situation.  multiple iterations seem to have been conducted. the use of multiple languages could be part of the experiment or it could just be that the ship has a diverse population just like the simulation. i have a hunch that all the characters who killed themselves were npcs and dont have a real world counterpart, or perhaps their real world counterparts are no longer alive. perhaps the simulation was meant as a form of stasis but had the unintended side effect of erasing everyone's memory,  the fake persona takes over the real one and therefore can no longer operate the prometheus. 

1 hour ago, Vl3d said:

Yeah, this one caught my eye yesterday... It look's just different enough it might be really good
And from the writers of "A Quiet Place"??? 
It will be very interesting to see Adam Driver in something that maybe isn't horribly written.   

49 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

something that maybe isn't horribly written

Which sci-fi / space movies do you think have the best scriptwriting / story? Any (recent) favorites?

I think Prometheus is great, but only if you see all the events as being narrated by David.

On 12/17/2022 at 5:18 PM, Vl3d said:

Which sci-fi / space movies do you think have the best scriptwriting / story? Any (recent) favorites?

I think Prometheus is great, but only if you see all the events as being narrated by David.

I really liked Prometheus. And I agree about David, and Alien: Covenant. You really need to see the extended versions for it all to make sense.

I could go on for hours about what I think is well written or not (and why) but if I have to pick a favorite recent sci-fi movie for writing, I think I'm going with Shin: Godzilla. I know it's hard to find, sorry, but it's well worth it, IMO. It really captures the feel of the original Gojira, and also the real-time fears of Fukushima. This is not your average campy Godzilla movie (IMO). Great writing (for a Godzilla  movie).

And to bring this back on-topic, I've heard rumors there might be an upcoming sequel in the works.  

Spoiler: From Shin: Godzilla, one of the scariest scenes ever... and I've seen them all.

Spoiler

Edited by Just Jim

currently looking forward to "cocaine bear". the preview could not be posted here for content, but hey at least its an original idea. a grizzly bear does the johnny cash thing, turns monstrous, shenanigans ensue. whats not to love?

Edited by Nuke

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

I've never really gotten into the films, seeing that guy in the old trailer shoot at Jupiter has very much changed my mind.

Well what if I tell you the humankind in this movie was light up the Jupiter and then giving the earth a push with the shockwave of the explosion from Jupiter?

Another trailer about Wandering Earth 2. This time is about the Space Elevator. Can't found that on Youtube but here you are: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1Y8411N7Gy/?vd_source=6fef304b8d0c4737896e6b702ddfbfb3

Not the first elevator on movie, and not the last one been exploded hahaha

The film is based on a novel of the same name, written by the same author as the novel Three Body. The Wandering Earth novel wasn't too long but the scenes it depicted, really shocking.

• 3 weeks later...

The Fall (2022)

(Possibly, spoilers).

Spoiler

Fall-443075622-large.jpg3600.jpg?width=465&quality=85&dpr=1&s=noPhoto-6-FALL-Lionsgate.jpg?fit=3840,2160

Letting alone the movie itself (not bad for me), another thing came to my mind while watching.

The tower (the pillar. the ladder, and the platform) and the problem was looking imperceptibly familiar to me.
As well as the heroines' problem itself.

Then I got it.
It is almost exactly the...
(Possibly, book spoilers)

Spoiler

... watch tower in the Mountains of Magnatz from the eponymous novel of the Cugel's Saga /   The Eyes of the Overworld cycle by Jack Vance.

It was described as a 500 ft high (the movie tower is 2 000 ft high) narrow and sleek pillar  with a small cabin on top (actually, a platform), with a hatch in the platform, and a rope ladder to climb (the movie tower has a fragile steel one).

The movie heroines were driven up by courage & stupidity, then the ladder got suddenly broken.
The book hero, Cugel, was fooled by the sneaky villagers and made to get up to the cabin. Then the villagers pulled away the rope ladder.

So, all of them have stayed on the platform in the same situation.
(Just Cugel had a roof, food, and spent several days or weeks there).

Then Cugel thought out the way out.

He had a thin rope, 500 ft long, and enough strong to hold a basket with food, but not a man.
Also he had his clothes and the bed linen.

He folded the thin rope in halves four times, so he get a multicord rope, enough strong to hold him, with a loop at one end.
Then he attached it to the hatch edge.

He tore in strips the clothes and the linen, and made another short rope, several meters long.
And attached a boot to its end.

Then he climbed down along the multicord rope, sat into the loop, and started throwing the second rope with attached boot to let it fly around the pillar.

After several attempts he caught the boot, took both rope ends, pulled himself to the pillar, and slid from the loop, hugging the pillar with the improvised rope.

After that he had slid down the pillar in seconds and was free.

That's why you should read fantasy books.
If the girls did, it would be a happier end.