[1.7.X] JNSQ Probes Before Crew Rebalance / Contract Pack (V.0.2.1)

CoriW

JNSQ Probes Before Crew Rebalance / Contract Pack

By CoriW

DISCLAIMER: Some config files packaged within this mod are modifications of config files used in the Probes Before Crew mod and as such I've chosen to license the entire mod under the original MIT license of those config files.

This mod is intended to serve two purposes, the first is to provide compatibility between the JNSQ and Probes Before Crew (PBC) mods, as well as provide a rebalance to the planetary science modifiers and contract rewards / penalties of the PBC contract pack to better work with the increased scale of JNSQ. The reason that I have decided to create a dedicated thread for these configs is because I would like to have as many potential testers as possible to ensure that these configs are correctly balanced against the native 2.7x scale of the JNSQ mod, and the last thing I would want to do is clutter up the JNSQ and PBC threads with pages of off topic discussion relating to a rebalance.

What This Rebalance Does

VERSION 0.2.1

CONTRACT PACK

(Rescale Fixes)
- The initial Kerbin contract parameters have been altered to account for Kerbin's increased atmosphere height for the upper atmosphere and reaching space contracts.
- The Dive into Jool's Atmosphere contract parameters have been altered to account for Jool's increased atmosphere height. 
- The Skim the Corona of Kerbol contract parameters have been altered to account for Kerbol's increased atmosphere height.

(Science, Reputation, and Fund Rewards)
- Some of the closer celestial bodies to Kerbin may seem as if they've had a slight reduction in rewards compared to stock PBC, which is more noticable when it comes to Eve and Duna, this was done due to the increased number of celestial bodies in JNSQ. This is also balanced out by the father out planets having increased rewards compared to stock PBC. For example, JNSQ Eeloo has moderately higher rewards than stock PBC Eeloo rewards and Nara has considerably higher rewards than stock PBC Eeloo rewards.

(Failure Fund Penalties)
- Most of the fund penalties for failing a contract from stock PBC have been reduced, this was done primarily in order to prevent the fund penalty for outer planets past Eeloo from becoming too excessively high. The resulting high end of the range is increased from 450000 to 504000 funds.

(Kerbol)
- Fund rewards for skimming the Sun's corona have been increased, due to the increased size of the system and with it the significant increase in DeltaV this now requires, it seemed warranted.

(Inner Planets)
- Due to the lesser number of inner planets and the increased hostility of the inner planets such as Eve's extreme atmosphere and Moho's extreme heat, a slight bias has been applied to the rewards for the inner planets increasing their reward values compared to outer planets. For example the rewards for going to Eve will be slightly higher than rewards for going to Duna and the rewards for going to Moho will be slightly higher than rewards for going to Edna.

(JNSQ Bodies)
- All JNSQ Bodies have had contract configs added and balanced against the stock bodies.

SCIENCE PARAM MODIFIERS

- Due to the increased number of bodies in JNSQ, most of the science paramaters have been reduced from stock PBC. The only increase is Kerbin which has had it's parameters increased from 0.8 to 1.0 due to the increased size of Kerbin. The parameters of Kerbin's moons however remain untouched.

- Gilly's parameters have been reduced from stock PBC to match those of it's parent, Eve.

- Jool has had it's flying low parameter increased due to the inherent difficulty of flying deep into a gas giant's atmosphere.

- Due to the addition of a second gas giant with it's own assortment of moons, all parameters of Jool's moons have been reduced by 0.5 from stock PBC.

- Laythe, which in stock PBC had all parameters 0.5 higher than the rest of Jools moons has had it's flying high, space low and space high parameters reduced to match the other moons of Jool, while the landed, splashed, and flying low parameters have been set 0.5 above the other moons of Jool.

- Due to Eeloo acquiring two new moons with JNSQ, it's parameters have been decreased by 0.5 from stock PBC.

- All JNSQ Bodies have been added and have had their parameters balanced against the stock bodies.

You may find a spreadsheet containing both the original and rebalanced PBC Contract Pack rewards and penalties HERE, you may switch between the original and rebalance tabs at the bottom of the spreadsheet.

How To Download and Install

1. Download and Install the JNSQ mod HERE.

2. Download and Install the Celestial Body Science Editor from DMagic's Modlets HERE. (This used to be bundled within the Probes Before Crew download, but has been removed as of the version 2.7.)

3. Download and Install the Probes Before Crew mod and all of it's dependencies HERE.

4. Download the JNSQ Probes Before Crew Rebalance HERE.

5. Extract and Merge the GameData folder from the ZIP file into your Kerbal Space Program directory.

IF YOU ARE UPDATING FROM 0.1.0 TO A LATER VERSION YOU MUST COMPLETELY DELETE AND REINSTALL PROBES BEFORE CREW, THE NEW VERSION NOW REQUIRES THAT ALL ORIGINAL PROBES BEFORE CREW FILES BE PRESENT. IT IS NO LONGER REQUIRED TO DELETE OR OVERWRITE ANY PROBES BEFORE CREW FILES.

If you have any feedback regarding the balance of the contract rewards or have any suggestions for possible additions or modifications, please feel free to post in this thread. All feedback is greatly appreciated!

To-Do

- Look into making probe return contract parameters optional.

Changelog

VERSION 0.2.1
- Added KSP AVC version checking
- Fixed Skim the Corona of Kerbol altitude being too low, increased it from 180,000,000m to 540,000,000m to account for the increased scale of JNSQ.
- Fixed mod reference in ScienceParamMod patch which caused Module Manager to encounter a fatal error if you did not have Celestial Body Science Editor installed. (This error was introduced in version 0.2.0)

VERSION 0.2.0
- Migrated from the use of replacement .cfg files for PBC stock bodies to Module Manager patches
- Fixed Typo in Parameter of Stock PBC, Under Crewed Kerbol Contract, Parameter "landPK" changed to "landCK"
- Fixed Typo in Parameter of Stock PBC, Under Probe Tylo Contract, Parameter "landPV" changed to "landPT"

VERSION 0.1.0
- Initial Release
Edited by CoriW

Hey @CoriW. Galileo and I are honored that you went forward and made this. :)Allow me to advise you on a few little things concerning MM and file operations:

1. It is better that you write config files that will re-declare and restore the settings that are changed by the configs that you're asking users to delete or overwrite. This keeps users from having to get their hands dirty to install a mod and keeps your mod friendly to automation tools like CKAN (and the devs of these tools).
  2. Be sure to avoid the use of :FINAL in any configs that you plan to release for others to use. There will always be someone who disagrees with your use of :FINAL. I've seen many examples. If a mod that you're trying to change already uses :FINAL, you see my point first-hand and you should contact its dev about it.

Ping me on the discord server linked in the JNSQ thread for more help.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

@CoriW Excellent idea; I'm just beginning a big career playthrough of JNSQ+PBC and this mod comes at the right now.

I agree with the @JadeOfMaar's comment about preference of using MM patches to asking the user to delete files of another mod. This way you'll save yourself a lot of headache and time for dealing with various issues.

Also, I couldn't download the mod from Spacedok; I get 401 Unauthorized error.

Hey so the reason I hadn't used Module Manager was that I wasn't sure if it could be used to modify Contract Configurator configs. But if that is the case that I can use it for that purpose I wouldn't hesitate to do it that way as I also prefer the use of Module Manager to modify things. Consider that part of why this was released in addon development.

Also @JadeOfMaar I am aware of the intended use of :FINAL and would not use it here, thanks for the heads up though.

I should have some time tonight to go through and modify the patches into MM configs.

@garwel Download link should work now, first time using SpaceDock and forgot to hit the publish button.

Edited by CoriW

Okay so just a heads up, this evening I had just enough time to get everything ported over to Module Manager patches, however I did not have enough time to do any testing to make sure that everything worked okay.

So while I was tempted to release the new configs without testing I opted to wait until I have more time, which likely will not be until Wednesday evening.

That all being said @JadeOfMaar I was wondering if you would be willing to look over the new configs and let me know if the MM syntax and everything looks alright? It would be greatly appreciated.

If interested let me know and I'll PM you the links to the new configs on my DropBox.

Hey everyone just a heads up I was planning an official release tonight after some testing but an emergency happened IRL and I wasnt able to get any testing done.

I'm going away on a trip this weekend and won't be able to do any testing so I'm going to push an unofficial release for now and hopefully it all works. The MM patches are untested so I hope they all work.

Sorry for the delays.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nkt0jay3cb0o8gp/JNSQ_PBC_Rebalance_0-2-0.zip?dl=1

EDIT: Note that for version 0.2.0 you DO NOT NEED TO DELETE OR REPLACE any PBC files, on the contrary you now REQUIRE ALL OF THE ORIGINAL PBC FILES BE INSTALLED for the patches to be applied properly.

Hopefully next week I have some more time to push an official release.

Edit2: Also I will note, minus one or two minor little bug fixes, 0.2.0 is effectively functionally identical to 0.1.0. The primary change was switching from full replacement config files to MM patches for all stock PBC bodies.

Edited by CoriW

Thanks for your work on this!  I've started a career with exactly this setup and had been thinking about making some similar tweaks.  Based on my playthrough, here are a couple other tweaks I've made that you might consider:

1)  On the Kerbol probe mission, the 180,000,000 is way too low with the new Sun  - boom!  Low Kerbol Orbit is 3x10^9m in JNSQ (that's what I altered it to), which is 3x stock Low Sun Orbit.  I also considered 540,000,000 as 3x the original parameter, but that's still awfully hard to keep a probe alive.

2) I've made the "return home" piece of the probe missions optional, for an extra challenge bonus.

On 7/27/2019 at 3:08 PM, DR_RDR said:

Thanks for your work on this!  I've started a career with exactly this setup and had been thinking about making some similar tweaks.  Based on my playthrough, here are a couple other tweaks I've made that you might consider:

1)  On the Kerbol probe mission, the 180,000,000 is way too low with the new Sun  - boom!  Low Kerbol Orbit is 3x10^9m in JNSQ (that's what I altered it to), which is 3x stock Low Sun Orbit.  I also considered 540,000,000 as 3x the original parameter, but that's still awfully hard to keep a probe alive.

2) I've made the "return home" piece of the probe missions optional, for an extra challenge bonus.

Hey thanks for the input, every little bit helps out a lot.

Regarding the Kerbol probe mission, I was actually looking at that while working on 0.2.0 but ran out of time and it didn't get changed. But I can say this will be done in the next update. (Since I've released 0.2.0 unofficially I may skip an official 0.2.0 to avoid confusion and just push the official release as 0.2.1)

As for making probe returns optional, that is actually a wonderful idea (in my opinion) and would also make so much sense. (Why return a probe if you dont have to?) I'll look into that next time I'm working on the mod.

EDIT: One question, if you make the return portion of a contract optional, what keeps the contract from auto-completing when you have everything except for the final optional parameter completed? Or on the contrary if it doesnt just auto-complete then how do you complete it without doing the final optional parameter? (I'm still learning how contracts and contract configurator work, so bare with me)

I'll note I'm not actually at my computer right now, on the road coming back from a trip. Probably won't have a chance to work on the mod until tomorrow evening, so the above questions may answer themselves when I actually sit down to work on it.

Edited by CoriW

On both my previous points:

I like the 540,000,000m requirement upon further review... Just low sun orbit was too easy.

The optional return made me sound smarter than I am- I'm a CC newbie too:/.  My contracts do currently just complete on landing like you describe, but I'm still experimenting w/ conditions in the vpg param.  I'll share if I have any breakthroughs.

4 hours ago, DR_RDR said:

On both my previous points:

I like the 540,000,000m requirement upon further review... Just low sun orbit was too easy.

The optional return made me sound smarter than I am- I'm a CC newbie too:/.  My contracts do currently just complete on landing like you describe, but I'm still experimenting w/ conditions in the vpg param.  I'll share if I have any breakthroughs.

Okay sounds good, let me know if you figure anything out. Also one other question.. I noticed that in JNSQ the flying low altitude is 500,000,000m .. What would be your opinion on that altitude for the contract? Or would that just simply be too difficult to complete?

I haven't been able to verify in game, but sun.cfg from jnsq bodies folder shows the altitude thresholds as low orbit <3e9m (did verify) and flying low as 500000, which I read as 500km but haven't verified in game with KER.

My test had even ridiculous radiator heat shield designs melting inside about 400Mm.

Still no joy on optional probe returns....

OFFICIAL RELEASE 0.2.1

Hey everybody, so after finally getting some testing done and verifying that all of the new Module Manager patches work properly I've decided that I'm happy enough with it to go ahead with an official release. Functionally not a lot has changed from the 0.1.0 release, the largest change was the migration from full replacement config files to Module Manager patches which is much cleaner and much more compatible with other mods. Aside from that I've fixed a couple of typo's from stock PBC, fixed a nasty reference error from the unofficial 0.2.0 release, and added version checking.

The only notable change to any contracts is that I've increased the altitude requirement for the "Skim the Corona of Kerbol" contract, as it was still at stock values which made it impossible to complete. I've set it to a number that should still provide a good enough challenge, but still be achievable. Though I will mention the actual number I chose was suggested by @DR_RDR.

ALSO IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT IF YOU ARE UPDATING FROM AN EARLIER VERSION THAT YOU MUST COMPLETELY DELETE AND REINSTALL PROBES BEFORE CREW, THE NEW VERSION NOW REQUIRES THAT ALL ORIGINAL PROBES BEFORE CREW FILES BE PRESENT. IT IS NO LONGER REQUIRED TO DELETE OR OVERWRITE ANY PROBES BEFORE CREW FILES.

VERSION 0.2.1
- Added KSP AVC version checking
- Fixed Skim the Corona of Kerbol altitude being too low, increased it from 180,000,000m to 540,000,000m to account for the increased scale of JNSQ.
- Fixed mod reference in ScienceParamMod patch which caused Module Manager to encounter a fatal error if you did not have Celestial Body Science Editor installed. (This error was introduced in version 0.2.0)

VERSION 0.2.0
- Migrated from the use of replacement .cfg files for PBC stock bodies to Module Manager patches
- Fixed Typo in Parameter of Stock PBC, Under Crewed Kerbol Contract, Parameter "landPK" changed to "landCK"
- Fixed Typo in Parameter of Stock PBC, Under Probe Tylo Contract, Parameter "landPV" changed to "landPT"

@JadeOfMaar Thanks for the tips you gave me regarding the MM Patches, without you I'm not sure if the migration to Module Manager patches would have happened at all. I'm happy it did, as it's much cleaner for me, the players and other modders.

Edited by CoriW

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Heyy i wonder, is this mod still compatible with the latest pbc and jnsq mod versions in 1.12.2?

edit: I tested it and it seems to work but the text says go to space 70km and at the requirements it says 85km, but it's completed as well at 85km so partly working 

Edited by Kerdel

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.