Multi-Monitor Support (Different Windows/Views Per Monitor)

I'd very much like to be able to put multiple missions across different monitors, then again a map-view and the current mission I'm on. I haven't tried that plug-in (it requires multiple installs, not something I feel like doing).

I'm finding air-breaking very annoying, since I can't leave the vessel 'alone' (at least not for any length of time) as it's in atmo, or going through atmo (the whole air part of air-breaking) and since I messed up and ran out of fuel, I've been waiting (so far) about 20-in-game days (and probably have 10 or 20 more to go). I can't reverse the launch as I've closed the game and re-opened it, so I'm stuck baby-sitting this single mission (more or less) while I wait for it to descend. While I don't PLAN on missions taking this long in the future, it's entirely possible I'll mess up again and they will. So... I thought it'd be nice to be running another mission while keeping an eye on this one, but I don't want to risk losing this ship or have it not lose altitude or whatever happens when I leave it alone.... I could (and have) played other games while waiting, watched TV shows, etc. But, I really want to play KSP and not risk losing this ship or having it stay in orbit forever, neither is desirable. So, multi-screen for multi-missions?

On 7/22/2019 at 9:56 PM, Stone Blue said:

actually, if youve got beefy hardware, you can run that on *one* box... 

While true, this is still a pale alternative to actual and proper multi-monitor support.

Being a multi-monitor user this is something I've dreamed about in nearly every semi-complex game I've played.  Why am I limited to a single viewpoint, on a single screen?  (or the appalling and disgusting 'span a single view across multiple screens with bezels in the way' option)

Nothing technical is preventing the use of multiple render targets, each for specific views of the game.  Should not need to run multiple copies of the game to do this, or even use multiple processes/applications.  Should be doable entirely from within a single application, natively.

I have three monitors normally.  Would love to put map view on one, all of MechJebs / KER info displays / control panels on another (virtual cockpit?), and leave the central one for the flight-scene viewport.

Now, I realize that my setup is not the norm, and likely pretty far down in the minority list, and as such, likely not worth spending developer time on the feature.  Multi-monitor is more common then it was in the CRT days, but is still not quite the 'standard'.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2019 at 8:52 AM, Shadowmage said:

Now, I realize that my setup is not the norm, and likely pretty far down in the minority list, and as such, likely not worth spending developer time on the feature.  Multi-monitor is more common then it was in the CRT days, but is still not quite the 'standard'.

But it’s becoming much more common as practically every PC these days has an HDMI port. I don’t just want the map view on a second screen, I want it on the BIG screen in the wall, NASA Mission Control style!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.