How to make a tiltrotor

I’ve tried to make a tiltrotor plane, but inevitably the rotors end up tilting mid-flight, which sends the craft into an inescapable spin. Locking the servos helps somewhat, but is very difficult to do while the craft is flying. The only solution I’ve found is to use same-vessel docking, but that means it can’t switch back into VTOL to land. Is there any good way to solve this problem?

37 minutes ago, RocketSquid said:

Locking the servos helps somewhat, but is very difficult to do while the craft is flying.

Why is this difficult? Are you using an action group key to toggle locking? Have you tried grandparent autostruts for the nacelles?

Just now, mystifeid said:

Why is this difficult? Are you using an action group key to toggle locking? Have you tried grandparent autostruts for the nacelles?

When I try to use an action group, I get told the part cannot be locked because it's moving. If I try to do it manually, I have to click it multiple times to get it to work, and even then it isn't fully secure and will start flailing at higher speeds. I have not tried autostrutting, but unless that can be done through an action group it may be difficult to properly toggle during flight.

3 minutes ago, RocketSquid said:

When I try to use an action group, I get told the part cannot be locked because it's moving. If I try to do it manually, I have to click it multiple times to get it to work, and even then it isn't fully secure and will start flailing at higher speeds. I have not tried autostrutting, but unless that can be done through an action group it may be difficult to properly toggle during flight. 

I see. Unfortunately autostruts will only pass through robotic parts (and be effective) when they are locked. Is there nothimg you can do to stop the movement before locking? Perhaps toggling prop deployment off, then locking, then toggling prop deployment back on?

23 minutes ago, mystifeid said:

I see. Unfortunately autostruts will only pass through robotic parts (and be effective) when they are locked. Is there nothimg you can do to stop the movement before locking? Perhaps toggling prop deployment off, then locking, then toggling prop deployment back on?

I’ll give it a shot.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.