Experiment on a possible Tweakables Redesign (Result)

Wow this is an incredible analysis and fix. I love how you presented it in an easy to follow way! I'm personally more fond of your collapsible category image. I love that you added headers that explain what each category is. That said I understand why you wanted to make it simpler. Congrats on thread of the month! I'll pass this along too :)

On 7/24/2019 at 12:21 AM, beik said:

Disclaimer: Hey devs, don't take this as criticism. I know how regular people usually are clueless about how complex things are beyond the surface of a development process... This is just for fun, peace ✌️

Not a problem, we appreciate constructive criticism!   

Edited by Maxsimal

There is very much to love about this.

I think collapsible could be revisited if more things were grouped. Like say antenna status and fuel supply. I mean aren't they all resources and having them at the top together make sense. While having controls I want to get to near the bottom.

Oh wow...  had it not been for the TOTM award (congrats BTW) I would not have seen this.  Excellent idea, I hope it gets implemented!  While they're at it, might as well make the "Advanced Tweakables" a standard thing.  I see no reason for this extra non-default option treatment of auto-struts.

On 8/3/2019 at 3:57 AM, Poodmund said:

@beik, it seems like SQUAD are now looking to hire a Senior UI/UX Designer... 

https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/jobs#UIUX/

:D

Hey @Poodmund, thanks for the tip! It warms my heart to hear that Squad actually care about design.

Btw, I already applied a couple of days ago after a friend gave me the same tip. But I got excluded from the selection process bec
ause I don't have formal experience videogames design. It would be an amazing story to tell how 600 hours of playtime landed me a new job :D

On 8/7/2019 at 3:13 PM, beik said:

Hey @Poodmund, thanks for the tip! It warms my heart to hear that Squad actually care about design.

Btw, I already applied a couple of days ago after a friend gave me the same tip. But I got excluded from the selection process bec
ause I don't have formal experience videogames design. It would be an amazing story to tell how 600 hours of playtime landed me a new job :D

Given the poor state of video game ui ux generally that sure seems like a dumb requirement to knock skilled people out on. 

1 hour ago, mattinoz said:

Given the poor state of video game ui ux generally that sure seems like a dumb requirement to knock skilled people out on. 

I find it strange for how every job everyone always wants five years of experience. How can anyone get a job if they all need five years of experience? This really only affects entry level jobs but still it is odd.

6 hours ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

I find it strange for how every job everyone always wants five years of experience. How can anyone get a job if they all need five years of experience? This really only affects entry level jobs but still it is odd.

It's a somewhat lazy filter. Some people who doubt their skills don't bother applying (of course the most incompetent people never doubt their skills). Like having the busiest/least interested/least empathetic/least experienced faculty teach freshman classes. Is it fair/perfect? Nope. But will it knock some folks out early who weren't going to make it anyway on the cheap? Yep.

The other part of it is that smaller employers don't tend to have the time to wait for training and experience to kick in for high skill positions. The market's vicious, consumers move on quickly, it takes time to get up to speed on the complex project, etc. If a small developer hired a green designer for a game that had already been released, it would take way too long for them to have an impact. Keep in mind, most games only stay popular for a year or 2 and, anecdotally, when I hire a software developer, I usually budget about 6 months before they're contributing respectably to the project. So for a game, that could be a quarter of it's popular lifetime just to onboard new talent, let alone if they don't show up experienced/job ready.

Edited by whitespacekilla

3cAVLxt.png

One small think I'd like to see changed is how the PAW sliders work. The fact you moved the hash (#) toggle button from the top corner to next to the slider is great! But I feel it would be even better if the hash button was replaced with the input box instead, moving the numbers out of the slider. This would allow users to adjust the values by either sliding the slider or punching a number in, without needing to toggle between them and reducing the number of clicks needed. It's something I wish the devs did originally anyway.

Other than that, everything else looks amazing!

On 8/11/2019 at 9:57 AM, Noir said:

3cAVLxt.png

One small think I'd like to see changed is how the PAW sliders work. The fact you moved the hash (#) toggle button from the top corner to next to the slider is great! But I feel it would be even better if the hash button was replaced with the input box instead, moving the numbers out of the slider. This would allow users to adjust the values by either sliding the slider or punching a number in, without needing to toggle between them and reducing the number of clicks needed. It's something I wish the devs did originally anyway.

Other than that, everything else looks amazing!

Great suggestion! You have no idea how many hours interaction designers expend on the debate of UI slider.
The trick is always to balance "precision" with "approximation by experimentation", but it's hard to have a silver bullet solution.

Check this article to see how deep it can go: https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2017/07/designing-perfect-slider/

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.