Flying in first person

Reinhart Mk.1

(as always i usually post the wrong topic in the wrong forum so an admin is more than welcome to move this)

I just reached orbit in one of my SSTOs in first person only (which also mean no maneuver nodes, it was actually really fun). It was basically instrument flying and i realized how usefully the physical instruments in the cockpit are. After you leave the atmosphere they don't seem to do that much since I guess they assume it's only for kerbin flight but yeah, I'm always impressed with this game.

12 minutes ago, Loskene said:

If you want useful IVA instruments in space you need to install RasterPropMonitor. I would like more reasons for IVA flight in the stock game though, it's a very different experience.

i try not to use toooo many mods except kerbal engineer, but the official update actually included some of those readouts so it's much easier, still i just like having it :D

I would tend to think that a truly immersive IVA experience might also include some VR options. 

It’s beyond my ancient technical capabilities to even discuss architectural details of it, but from a user perspective it could (if well executed) be a very cool experience. 

7 hours ago, Wallygator said:

I would tend to think that a truly immersive IVA experience might also include some VR options. 

It’s beyond my ancient technical capabilities to even discuss architectural details of it, but from a user perspective it could (if well executed) be a very cool experience. 

I agree, but probably a bit too intensive to slap on the already-cpu-intensive-KSP :(

On 7/28/2019 at 4:53 PM, Aegolius13 said:

My limited experience with IVA piloting has been, to quote Mr. Indiana Jones:  Fly, yes.  Land, no.

What nightflying (instrument flying) has taught me was try to keep the  prograde marker right at or just above the middle line until you touch down :)

I've had some fun with IVA flying at the helm of the rare non-replica craft that I build in a while.

7OLbMtR.png

The loadout for toss bombing against the KSC. SOP is to drop the bombs in pairs in a 200m/s climb 5km away from KSC to increase probability of hitting.

E2I1LSU.png

The result of a spectacular direct hit against the KSC - the flight profile on this one was to fly in high, dive down, then pitch up quickly in a loop, dropping the bombs at about alpha = 30 and 3km range. I was greeted by this view after I completed the loop.

This flight was flow entirely within IVA, including a successful landing (off the runway. You can't have everything)

On 7/31/2019 at 1:27 AM, Reinhart Mk.1 said:

What nightflying (instrument flying) has taught me was try to keep the  prograde marker right at or just above the middle line until you touch down :)

You might be better served in the long run to use the "rate of ascent/descent indicator" to the right of the altimeter. Just keep the hand between 0 and -5 for a smooth landing.
Almost every plane has a different "angle of attack" to fly level or make a landing. The throttle is even more of a factor in this, as you may already know, a lower setting needs a higher angle of attack. But using the rate indicator is always reliable.
The fun and challenge of flying in IVA is certainly undeniable!

Edited by T-Bouw
extra info!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.