Reinhart Mk.1

Flying in first person

Recommended Posts

(as always i usually post the wrong topic in the wrong forum so an admin is more than welcome to move this)

I just reached orbit in one of my SSTOs in first person only (which also mean no maneuver nodes, it was actually really fun). It was basically instrument flying and i realized how usefully the physical instruments in the cockpit are. After you leave the atmosphere they don't seem to do that much since I guess they assume it's only for kerbin flight but yeah, I'm always impressed with this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want useful IVA instruments in space you need to install RasterPropMonitor. I would like more reasons for IVA flight in the stock game though, it's a very different experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Loskene said:

If you want useful IVA instruments in space you need to install RasterPropMonitor. I would like more reasons for IVA flight in the stock game though, it's a very different experience.

i try not to use toooo many mods except kerbal engineer, but the official update actually included some of those readouts so it's much easier, still i just like having it :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mahnarch said:

Neat!

 

Now, rendezvous and dock in IVA!

I did a lot of docking in 1st person with mk1-2-3 Pos and i can tell you that the are extremely satisfying  to pull off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would tend to think that a truly immersive IVA experience might also include some VR options. 

It’s beyond my ancient technical capabilities to even discuss architectural details of it, but from a user perspective it could (if well executed) be a very cool experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Wallygator said:

I would tend to think that a truly immersive IVA experience might also include some VR options. 

It’s beyond my ancient technical capabilities to even discuss architectural details of it, but from a user perspective it could (if well executed) be a very cool experience. 

I agree, but probably a bit too intensive to slap on the already-cpu-intensive-KSP :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2019 at 12:40 AM, MR L A said:

I agree, but probably a bit too intensive to slap on the already-cpu-intensive-KSP :(

Oh well, guess it's back to "one eye only" for the performance boost!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do have a question about the instruments.  What's the one that has the three hands that always slowly rotate, and looks kinda like a clock numbered from 0 to 9 or so?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, GKSP said:

I do have a question about the instruments.  What's the one that has the three hands that always slowly rotate, and looks kinda like a clock numbered from 0 to 9 or so?

I believe that’s an altimeter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My limited experience with IVA piloting has been, to quote Mr. Indiana Jones:  Fly, yes.  Land, no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2019 at 4:53 PM, Aegolius13 said:

My limited experience with IVA piloting has been, to quote Mr. Indiana Jones:  Fly, yes.  Land, no.

What nightflying (instrument flying) has taught me was try to keep the  prograde marker right at or just above the middle line until you touch down :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2019 at 5:53 PM, Aegolius13 said:

My limited experience with IVA piloting has been, to quote Mr. Indiana Jones:  Fly, yes.  Land, no.

To add onto @Reinhart Mk.1 's if you haven't done so already stick a flag or something at the end of the runway that can be targeted and use it as an ILS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Chryssalid 8492 said:

To add onto @Reinhart Mk.1 's if you haven't done so already stick a flag or something at the end of the runway that can be targeted and use it as an ILS.

this guy gets it :cool:

 

Edited by Reinhart Mk.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had some fun with IVA flying at the helm of the rare non-replica craft that I build in a while.

7OLbMtR.png

The loadout for toss bombing against the KSC. SOP is to drop the bombs in pairs in a 200m/s climb 5km away from KSC to increase probability of hitting.

E2I1LSU.png

The result of a spectacular direct hit against the KSC - the flight profile on this one was to fly in high, dive down, then pitch up quickly in a loop, dropping the bombs at about alpha = 30 and 3km range. I was greeted by this view after I completed the loop.

This flight was flow entirely within IVA, including a successful landing (off the runway. You can't have everything)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/31/2019 at 1:27 AM, Reinhart Mk.1 said:

What nightflying (instrument flying) has taught me was try to keep the  prograde marker right at or just above the middle line until you touch down :)

You might be better served in the long run to use the "rate of ascent/descent indicator" to the right of the altimeter. Just keep the hand between 0 and -5 for a smooth landing.
Almost every plane has a different "angle of attack" to fly level or make a landing. The throttle is even more of a factor in this, as you may already know, a lower setting needs a higher angle of attack. But using the rate indicator is always reliable.
The fun and challenge of flying in IVA is certainly undeniable!

Edited by T-Bouw
extra info!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.