Man Node Burn Time

I downloaded 1.7.1 a while ago, but have only just started using it.  I have discovered that when setting up a manoeuvre node now, it no longer gives me an estimated burn time.  Time to node is still displayed, and there is now an additional 'Start Burn in',  which displays the same time as the 'Node in T'.  Underneath this is a value which appears to default to 50% but can be changed anywhere between 0 and 100%.  This doesn't appear to change anything if I alter the value, and the burn time legend is in red with no value displayed.

Anyone any  ideas how I can get my estimated burn time back?

KSPnode.jpg

Basically everything works as it should in the previous version.  I've changed nothing between 1.6.1 and 1.7.1, but 1.7.1 doesn't show me burn time.

The screenshot above was from a craft that consisted of a capsule, decoupler, fuel tank and engine.  Kerbal engineer was showing how much dV the craft had, so no idea why the manoeuvre node isn't working.  Kind of makes judging long burns rather tricky.

Installed mods are rather simple :- Kerbal Engineer, Joint Reinforcement, Alarm Clock, Hyperedit, Docking Indicator, RCS BuildAid and that's it.

1 minute ago, Scarecrow said:

Basically everything works as it should in the previous version.  I've changed nothing between 1.6.1 and 1.7.1, but 1.7.1 doesn't show me burn time.

The screenshot above was from a craft that consisted of a capsule, decoupler, fuel tank and engine.  Kerbal engineer was showing how much dV the craft had, so no idea why the manoeuvre node isn't working.  Kind of makes judging long burns rather tricky.

Installed mods are rather simple :- Kerbal Engineer, Joint Reinforcement, Alarm Clock, Hyperedit, Docking Indicator, RCS BuildAid and that's it.

Anything weird with your staging order? Like a decoupler before an engine? This would make the game think you're going to pop the engine off before igniting it; also have you actually activated and throttled up the engine at all? Sometimes it won't show you a burn time unless that engine has been used.

Nope, order of craft from top is :- Parachute, capsule, decoupler, fuel, engine.

Engine is staged at launch to raise Apo above 70km.  Once the Apo is at desired height, engine is shutdown to coast up to Apo.  Manoeuvre node is set at Apo to circularise, which will be done using the same engine, but no burn time is given.

I've also tried in an unmodded install, and have the same problem.

Have you ever fired the engine in the current stage? In older versions, the game needed to know the amount of thrust the engine could produce, before it could calculate your burn time. So maybe try hitting Z to go to full throttle for an instant, and then hitting X. Does it show you a burn time after that? Have you modified the throttling on the current engine during your ascent?

Edited by bewing

Yes it has done it with multiple craft, and yes the engine has been fired previously - it was used to raise my Apo above 70k from launch.  Ultimately it's not a massive problem, I'll just revert to 1.6.1 until they bring out a version that works for me.

Just an update.  I've done a completely fresh vanilla install, and all worked fine.  I then installed the 'Making History' and 'Breaking Ground' DLC packs and all is working as it should.  This leads me to believe that either my original installation had been corrupted somehow, or one of my mods is responsible.

I will reintroduce the mods one at a time and see if any of them has an effect.

Further update.  I have now reintroduced all my mods, and the game is still behaving itself.  This can only lead me to believe that I must have had a corrupted file within the game somewhere, which leaves me with one last question : did the corruption occur during install, or was it something that happened during gameplay, and if so, what would have done that.

I will definitely be keeping a closer eye on my manoeuvre nodes in the future, and if this problem does occur again, then hopefully I will have a better idea as to its cause.

Edited by Scarecrow

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.