!!!BALLOONS!!!

Not the birthday party kind- but the dirigible kind!  We could design a floating- neutrally buoyant- base for drifting around Eve, Duna, or Laythe!  Perhaps even an electric pump part that would need to be powered by electricity- and reserve tanks that could pump the gas from themselves to the balloon part to control buoyancy.  Kind of an inflate to rise, deflate to lower deal.  Any takers?  :) 

*Edit:  How about we also tie in ISRU- with a special tiny converter that only creates gasses: one for each of the atmospheric types.  Just in case you need to top off the tanks.

Edited by Lazarus MonkeyMan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Mr_DooBee said:

Having just base jumped my scientist Bob Kerman from the top of the VAB, I'm ready to leap from a high altitude balloon platform shouting "Excelsior" while saluting Colonel Joseph W. Kittinger.

just looked the guy up - must have been pretty sizable ballons to offset the ball(s) size...

(you can see he has his own special red box for them:)

Kittinger-jump.jpg

12 hours ago, JMBuilder said:

Bit late to the party. I've been asking for stock airship pieces for seven years.

Frankly, I'm astonished we don't have them yet.

have you tried capital letters and exclamation marks ?.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/12/2020 at 1:56 PM, Michel Bartolone said:

Related...is there an existing mod for high altitude weather/science balloons? I envision attaching a balloon to a plate/bulkhead and attaching some of the surface experiments from BG to it, then sending it aloft and collecting data.

Yes. It's called KerBalloons.

For HAVOC-style airships, which are a krakensend on Eve (especially pre-BG electric propellers), see the Heisenberg Airship mod by WildBlueIndustries (Angelo125). For the real High Altitude Venus Operational Concept, see this PDF by NASA.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.