[1.8.x] DE_IVAExtension - For All the Stock Pod IVAs!

DemonEin

1 hour ago, stupidxFat said:

What in the H could i be doing wrong?

Why not just use CKAN?

When a mod's zip file includes a GameData folder, you need to merge that with your own GameData folder.  Don't go digging around inside and pull pieces of it out.  You did this with both ToolbarController and RasterPropMonitor.

39 minutes ago, JonnyOThan said:

Why not just use CKAN?

When a mod's zip file includes a GameData folder, you need to merge that with your own GameData folder.  Don't go digging around inside and pull pieces of it out.  You did this with both ToolbarController and RasterPropMonitor.

Yes, that is what KSP thinks I have done. All mods i have installed are in self-contained files under KSP>GameData>(Addon). here's a screenshot.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Jr8qo7PG7brIn3d1tQcAlMQ4RQfsuj-w

47 minutes ago, stupidxFat said:

Yes, that is what KSP thinks I have done. All mods i have installed are in self-contained files under KSP>GameData>(Addon). here's a screenshot.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Jr8qo7PG7brIn3d1tQcAlMQ4RQfsuj-w

something seems installed incorrectly (at least one,,,) mod was installed straight into the gamedata dir, and not its own subdir. And for some reason Module Manger is in a folder itself? the mod is usually just a DLL at the gamedata root along with its self-delployed files (techtree, physics, etc.).  The fact that there is an "extras" folder as well as a _LOCAL also seems odd --  did you create those, or were they part of another mod's archive?

25 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

And for some reason Module Manger is in a folder itself? the mod is usually just a DLL at the gamedata root along with its self-delployed files (techtree, physics, etc.). 

I dont think that one matters, even tho it is *unusual* ... vOv

25 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

The fact that there is an "extras" folder as well as a _LOCAL also seems odd --  did you create those, or were they part of another mod's archive?

ya.. the Extras probably shouldnt be there... that __LOCAL is from TweakScale :roll_eyes:

But yea, there are *several* mods installed incorrectly...
Namely, the relevant one is RasterPropsMonitor...
that is supposed to be in /GameData/JSI/

ClickThroughBlocker is also installed incorrectly...

And @stupidxFat , you have a MiniAVC.xml there... if you are running 1.8.+ or 1.9.+, I would search your gameData for ALL instances of MiniAVC.dll, and delete them.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/191568-important-announcement-about-miniavc-and-zerominiavc/

Edited by Stone Blue

Oh, ya. totally missed the RPM dir being incorrect. Some other mods "gather' themselves in top-level folders, too --- DMagic doesn't though, right?

The basic advice on this is--whatever is contained in GameData in the mod's zip/archive, or whatever root folder is there is the way it should be installed -- many mods have calls that are hard-coded to those built-in paths and shuffling things around will break that. Also, post a game log if you haven't and it can reveal where other things are happening (or not happening, as the case may be).

You guys ARE spot-on. TweakScale did that, and i let it be, and the so on. I downloaded ckan, and its super helpful. Only question now is: To make sure CKAN will install a mod for me that's not included in the addon library within CKAN. If I just extract a mod .zip into my game data folder, will CKAN do the rest?

Am i just over-thinking this now?

@Stone Blue

My end goal is to be able to use the DE_IVA Extension mod. SO, once i am certain I have all the dependencies installed correctly I would simply be able to play, hit the C-key and see awesomeness right??

Thank you all so much in advance

SCREAMS "import downloaded mod" JUST FOUND IT

Edited by stupidxFat
new find

There seem to be conflicts.

I have multiple mods to give nice IVAs that touch the same pods, but instead of resolving nicely by having both versions available, only one ends up existing. My guess is that the mods have conflicts and as such only one can "win" (likely caused by execution-order?) and be available in-game. I think there are more than one pod/mod that conflicts, but the one I noticed was MK1 lander-can conflicting with Moardv's MAS mk1landercan.

Aside from this mod making the effort to fix its conflicts, I am more curious if anyone could point me at a mod that solves all such conflicts (preferably letting me specify the name the copies receive, instead of making parts named the same or named with IDs), or if no such mod exists, in the right direction for how to set-up a folder in GameData that points at pods I noticed "lost" the conflict-war, and create a new part based on that with name I specify.

edit:

I figured out way to do it, though its not pretty. For each mod conflicting a part, I have to

• manually make a copy of the squad-part with renamed name= in the cfg. - can't figure out a way for modulemanager to say "I reference the same model-etc. as this part, but with this name edited"
  • manually make a full copy of the IVA-Patch .cfg where I edit the targeted part: @PART[landerCabinSmall] -> @PART[landerCabinSmall_DE]  - can't figure out how to use modulemanager to not just target and edit a @Part, but rather instead target another modulemanager patch and edit what is inside the square brackets
  • manually add a line to edit the title (doesn't have to, but its nice to be able to differ between the pods in partslist)

And then I have to manually make a mm-patch .cfg to remove the original (cause I couldn't bother to check which mod won the conflict-war, so I did the above for every mod, not just the losers. Meaning the winner would have had a duplicate).

Preferably I would have wanted an automatic script that detected a conflict and fixed it all by itself. Possibly letting me map a (part,mod) -> title, for when the generated title is annoying.

Preferably preferably, I wouldn't have needed to copy the entire part either, feels like this way will quickly add up to memory-usage when it could have reused the parts model etc.

Edited by unregistered_user

On 2/29/2020 at 2:30 AM, unregistered_user said:

There seem to be conflicts.

Yup-- at least for the moment, that's all we can do --you're basically on the right track. Using mod manager syntax, you can clone the pod/cockpit in question, and drop in the IVA from the mod you like into this new pod. This might be tricky depending on how the IVA-maker set up their files, but it's totally doable. This *does* wind up having multiple versions of the "same" cockpit in the editor, though. 

I'm moving apartments at the moment, and have zero access to my files, but I have a combo patch that integrates a couple different changes, and clearly labels them in their title so I know which is which for a number of cockpits. Basically overriding DE_IVA if I like the other one better, or splitting them off if they both have something different to offer depending on the mission. I can share some of that to get you started.

Also, there's been some interest in the community to figure out how to make IVAs into part variants, which would solve ALL the problems :)

Edited by Beetlecat

1 hour ago, Beetlecat said:

Using mod manager syntax, you can clone the pod/cockpit in question, and drop in the IVA from the mod you like into this new pod. This might be tricky depending on how the IVA-maker set up their files, but it's totally doable. This *does* wind up having multiple versions of the "same" cockpit in the editor, though. 

How do I clone a Part using Mod manager? The thing that annoyed me wasn't that partslist gets more pods (thats ok to me as I rename them), but that I have to manually copy the model targeted (model.mu, the .dds files, etc.) and edit it to become a new part. Instead of just something like `COPY[Part[partname], newpartname]` in a mm-patch solving it as a one-liner (or two, if new name has to be specified in its own line).

Making the IVA's into variants would be really cool. A quick google suggests the variant-themes can't support that though ("can only change texture and hide/show models visually" implies the collision remains, or more importantly in this case, the button-click interaction), so I am guessing the idea is that it would be more like its own theme-system, similar to how procedural parts and/or fuel-changing mods does it?

Edited by unregistered_user

14 minutes ago, MuriloMoreira said:

But this one doesn't work in the new version.

It should, because it’s purely config files.

Note, the mk1-2 pod is the old 2.5m pod.  It isn’t available In the parts bin unless you filter by cross section or tweak your part configs to make it visible again. Are you maybe talking about the mk2 pod (1.8m 2-man pod from making history) or the mk1-3 pod (new 3-man 2.5m pod)?

On 3/5/2020 at 12:26 PM, PeteKonrad said:

Is it possible to retrofit the MK1-2 IVA replacement to the new Mk1-3 pod? 

I don't understand your question. There is no replacement for the (old) Mk1-2 pod, but there is one for the Mk1-3.

On 3/5/2020 at 9:26 AM, PeteKonrad said:

Is it possible to retrofit the MK1-2 IVA replacement to the new Mk1-3 pod? 

Actually, yes.  You can write a modulemanager patch to point the mk1-3 pod at the mk1-2 IVA.  The windows don’t line up but it’s not a huge deal.

Raster Props Freezes

I have successfully installed this mod, but whenever I switch the raster prop monitor screens, it freezes and all the button animation freeze as well. Any fixes?

Edited by JasonGW
Previous issue resolved on my own.

8 hours ago, JasonGW said:

Raster Props Freezes

I have successfully installed this mod, but whenever I switch the raster prop monitor screens, it freezes and all the button animation freeze as well. Any fixes?

Post your log files (and preferably on the RPM thread, not this one)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

Just a real quickie here, I am running a 1.8.1 version career save and I seem to have an issue with the AVAS on the MK1 command pod. When I turn the AVAS on I can't hear the altitude callouts on ascent/descent, don't know if that's a bug or not an implemented feature but I thought I would check here first. I only ask as I am fairly certain I remembered the IVA on the ASET pack, having altitude callouts with AVAS (in like 1.6) but I don't know if a similar feature was implemented with the AVAS here.

Cheers for the time.

• 5 weeks later...

hey great mod! although was curious if you had any plans to make an advanced IVA for the stock inline mk2 cockpit? and possibly a few from the airplane plus mod (like the mk1 inline non-commercial cockpit and others)? nothing super fancy or refined just some functionality with a few screens would be great.
also if you have any suggestions or direction on what i need to get started on this kind of modding for ksp myself would be amazing

Edited by TH3P41NTR41N

First things first, thank you so much for this mod. I've wanted some updated IVAs for some time, and this mod is just what I needed.

I use CKAN for my mods, and I noticed the current "max version" set for this mod is 1.8.x. You have previously mentioned that with KSP 2 around the corner that you're more maintaining the mod at this point, but do you have any plans to bring the mod into 1.9.x?

9 hours ago, WoofWoof42 said:

First things first, thank you so much for this mod. I've wanted some updated IVAs for some time, and this mod is just what I needed.

I use CKAN for my mods, and I noticed the current "max version" set for this mod is 1.8.x. You have previously mentioned that with KSP 2 around the corner that you're more maintaining the mod at this point, but do you have any plans to bring the mod into 1.9.x?

It works in 1.9 for me except for the problem I'm having regarding the hud fonts. In fact, the only mod that's given me a specific compatibility notice has been realchute.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.