Do You Prefer Rockets or Planes More In KSP?

Do You Prefer Rockets or Planes More In KSP?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer building rockets or planes more?

• Rockets!
    • Planes!
    • Something Else, Like SSTOs

I know I am odd, but as a pilot in real life I enjoy designing and flying planes and SSTO spaceplanes. I also fly, whenever possible, entirely IVA, from the cockpit. To me, the joy of KSP is about the vessel creation itself, and getting to know the unique flying characteristics of each new aircraft. In other words, I like the act of piloting and flying for its own sake.

Rockets certainly have their place in my stable, as well. However, I always find myself defaulting to conventional airplanes whenever I don’t have a specific space mission in mind.

And, yes, I know that the physics of Kerbal don’t match true flight sims such FSX or X-Plane, but whenever I just want to slap a few parts together, firewall the throttle, and see what might happen, it’s hard to beat the fine balance between realism and fun that is KSP.

Edited by Rezolution

On 8/2/2019 at 11:48 AM, CaveJohnson376 said:

Isn't better launch a plane then quickly reconfigure it into rocket mid-flight? I think, its a really cool idea.

Well not really.

Any worthwhile aerostructure is gonna be heavy. And planes are actually quite expensive compared to rocket stages. Especially at reasonable sizes where modern versions of KSP literally will not let the larger wings take the weight without a lot of them to reduce the lift coefficient and wing loading to something that won't shatter the entire wing into tiny pieces at takeoff loading. So unfortunately the possibility of lightweight, short, tiny heavily loaded wings has serious problems.

So you end up needing large wing areas and that means you're no longer talking about a cheap lightweight addition but most of the empty mass and cost of the vehicle.

My perference has to be none of the above, im more into space warships, starfighters, tanks, and generally anything combat related, but if i had to choose from those 2, id say rockets since im not huge on flying in atmosphere on kerbin using jets (i have other games if im in the mood to fly planes, KSP for me is like 100% about space).

This year, I had been mostly in planes and also used the airports mod for flying out to other continents I never has visited. It is cool to build and fly one's iterations of stuff.

However, lately, I bought xplane11 and put my planesy interests for that game (or simulator, as game seems to a bad word for their community lol). Just sucks not to have the kerbies flying. Can't have 'em all.

Kerbal is for rocketeering around  after all. 

1 hour ago, Reinhart Mk.1 said:

Also I've been meaning to get Xplane 11, how is it??

Resource intensive but enjoyable. Buy it a day or two before you want to play it also, because you'll be waiting a while for the 100+GB of ground textures for the entire planet to finish downloading.

On 8/10/2019 at 4:56 PM, Reinhart Mk.1 said:

Planes are just fancier rockets :)

Also I've been meaning to get Xplane 11, how is it??

Been enjoying it a lot.

I can't give much feedback other than the experience with xp11 alone. Microsoft Flight Simulator X seems to have a fun rollplaying/goofball multiplayer thing going on, if you check out youtube channel Airforceproud95(not sure about the number suffix).Highly recommend his vids as they are pure comedy gold.

No idea on Prepar3d.

As for xp, it is damn fun. There is a learning curve. Not kerbal steep but you learn alot about how today's airliners and such navigate. And addons/mods make the game look neat-o. 

Has a "FAR" by default, though certainly a bit more forgiving than kerbal since you have planes already constructed appropriately. There are different planes  including fanmade ones to install, like the famous f14 Tomcat.

Payware (see it as dlc/paid mods made by third parties) are not needed to play the game. But I hear time and again that one should buy certain mustHaves at some point. Such as ATC ones  as thr default air traffic controller can be quite drunk at times.

Imo, game is worth it. Never gets boring. Always a place to fly to and scenery to dl. You don't have to dl all scenarios at once btw. Only oncr you wanna fly long distances.

Just like KSP, you learn to respect the stuff.

There are player-driven economy roleplay for XP, but I think MS FSX has a dlc that give you missions/contracts.

I carry my rockets to space with a plane, what do you call that?

tFPO8nK.png

The 2nd stage is sort of a plane still, its got enough wing to land when empty, but its more like a rocket, and I use it to put mostly rockets into space.

The recoverable 2 stage system gets slightly higher payload fractions than the old SSTO system, but doesn't use nukes at all (the SSTO system had abysmal payload fraction without use of nukes)

z7wgpqw.png

Edited by KerikBalm

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.