[WIP][1.7.3] UPR (Unique Planetary Resources)

Lach_01298

UPR is a "mod". Really it's a bunch of config files and module manager patches but it's goal is to make a complete integrated mod experience for ksp.

This means it integrates some selected mods together to create a system which is universal (i.e same UI, Resources and converters for all systems)

The design concept is for it to be a Semi-realistic easyish stock looking and balanced game

Source Code: https://github.com/Lach01298/UPR

Current dependencies:

• WildBlue Industry's Tools
  • Snacks
  • CryoTanks
  • Community Resource Pack
  • Community Tech Tree
  • DynamicBatteryStorage
  • Rational Resources

recommend/Integrated Mods

• Making History DLC
  • Breaking Ground DLC
  • WBI Pathfinder
  • WBI DSEV
  • NF Electrical
  • NF Propulsion
  • KIS
  • KAS
  •  

Features:

• Semi-realistic planetary resources i.e your not going to find every resource on every planet like what CRP is currently
  • Semi-realistic life support (Food, Oxygen, Water)
  • Planetary Base building/ Colonization
  • Semi-realistic ISRU
  • Metholox and Hydrolox fuel chains and engines
  • part and equipment production chains
  • integrated tech tree

Other Stuff

help and suggestions are appreciated and so feel free to do so

Developmental notes

This seems like a lot and it is. But this started as trying to get some of my favorite ksp mods to fit seamlessly together and separately trying to make them a little bit more realistic. Then it got all lump together into what currently is UPR. Thus it really should have another name but it was separate "mods" so i just kept one name that had a short acronym: UPR

Edited by Lach_01298

Howdy, stranger. I just noticed you and would like to let you know that I've recently already paved the way for a few of the things you're aiming for with your mod.

• CRP's random resource distribution thing has been dealt with, replaced by a template system according to the expected composition class of a planet, already supporting or being adopted by a few major planet packs. It's super easy now to apply a close-fitting combination to each planet and moon, however, this causes great bloat to the ModuleManager cache, and gets very big, very fast, with more installed, supported planets.
  • Some proper Ore-avoiding fuel and life support ISRU options have been done (Eyes are on the prize re: Kerbalism and TAC Life Support). A quick glance through your GitHub found that you're using Argon resource and I'd like to mention that the popular ion drive mods use ArgonGas. CO2 from atmospheres and Hydrates or Water are the most basic of requirements to produce Methalox and Hydrolox.
    • Ore abundanced is nerfed heavily, but not completely destroyed.
  • The bar has been set for Hydrolox and Methalox rocketry. Methalox is finally directly supported by Nertea's CryoTanks mod and I'll soon be providing an optional config to grant these tank options to all stock tanks via B9 Part Switch (WBT tank modules don't agree with Tweakscale). What's left is for you or others only to create methalox engines.

On 7/31/2019 at 1:55 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

Howdy, stranger. I just noticed you and would like to let you know that I've recently already paved the way for a few of the things you're aiming for with your mod.

• CRP's random resource distribution thing has been dealt with, replaced by a template system according to the expected composition class of a planet, already supporting or being adopted by a few major planet packs. It's super easy now to apply a close-fitting combination to each planet and moon, however, this causes great bloat to the ModuleManager cache, and gets very big, very fast, with more installed, supported planets.
  • Some proper Ore-avoiding fuel and life support ISRU options have been done (Eyes are on the prize re: Kerbalism and TAC Life Support). A quick glance through your GitHub found that you're using Argon resource and I'd like to mention that the popular ion drive mods use ArgonGas. CO2 from atmospheres and Hydrates or Water are the most basic of requirements to produce Methalox and Hydrolox.
    • Ore abundanced is nerfed heavily, but not completely destroyed.
  • The bar has been set for Hydrolox and Methalox rocketry. Methalox is finally directly supported by Nertea's CryoTanks mod and I'll soon be providing an optional config to grant these tank options to all stock tanks via B9 Part Switch (WBT tank modules don't agree with Tweakscale). What's left is for you or others only to create methalox engines.

Hi. I already know about Rational Resources. It sort of inspired and helped me make what i have done so far. Does Rational Resources allow for different templates depending on options/ gamemode specifically does it integrate with WBI play mode?

I sort of decided to do my own ISRU from things i could find. I've definitely looked at other mods ISRU. As for Argon i must have made a mistake it should be ArgonGas.

I didn't know about CryoTanks adding Methalox, but from what i can tell hydrolox isn't in CryoTanks. LqdHydrogen and Oxidizer is but i'm not considering Oxidizer as LOX in my ISRU chains I consider oxidizer as Hydrogen peroxide.

The engines are in a sort of interesting state. UPR doesn't add any parts mainly because i'm terrible a modeling and texturing. But i have managed to use WBI storage templates to create different configurations to stock engines eg a liquidfuel, lqdHydrogen and lqdMethane poodle. The interesting thing about it is allows the flexibility to change the engine fuel type with a engineer and equipment insitu. It works perfectly except having a few small visual bugs that can easily solved by reloading the vessel.

As for UPR itself it is mainly a WBI playmode since of the ease, flexibility, and power Angel-125 has put into WBI mods. Also a goal is to make things universal and understandable so since B9 partSwitch as far as i can tell isn't as powerful and descriptive as the WBI changer so i used that instead. I didn't consider Tweakscale since i don't really play with it much.

6 hours ago, Lach_01298 said:

I didn't know about CryoTanks adding Methalox, but from what i can tell hydrolox isn't in CryoTanks. LqdHydrogen and Oxidizer is but i'm not considering Oxidizer as LOX in my ISRU chains I consider oxidizer as Hydrogen peroxide.

The engines are in a sort of interesting state. UPR doesn't add any parts mainly because i'm terrible a modeling and texturing. But i have managed to use WBI storage templates to create different configurations to stock engines eg a liquidfuel, lqdHydrogen and lqdMethane poodle. The interesting thing about it is allows the flexibility to change the engine fuel type with a engineer and equipment insitu. It works perfectly except having a few small visual bugs that can easily solved by reloading the vessel.

As for UPR itself it is mainly a WBI playmode since of the ease, flexibility, and power Angel-125 has put into WBI mods. Also a goal is to make things universal and understandable so since B9 partSwitch as far as i can tell isn't as powerful and descriptive as the WBI changer so i used that instead. I didn't consider Tweakscale since i don't really play with it much.

Oxidizer is what you make it, I guess, since it's abstract. Kerbalism also considers Oxidizer to be Hydrogen Peroxide (HTP) but most folks treat it as LqdOxygen. As far as most folks are concerned, Hydrogen and its Oxidizer are Hydrolox, but I understand, since you don't see Oxidizer as LqdOxygen.

You can use WBT templates to change engine modules? I've wanted to but never tried it so I don't know. It feels like it would be a pain to do so. I know you can't do this with probe cores. I've tried that.

I've provided something akin to Methalox in WBI's Classic Stock but I'm sure you've noticed already: the Raptium resource and its Raptalox combination. That may need to be adjusted since its ratio 57:43 was hard to get to and doesn't scale nicely.

8 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

You can use WBT templates to change engine modules? I've wanted to but never tried it so I don't know. It feels like it would be a pain to do so. I know you can't do this with probe cores. I've tried that.

Yeah using the convertible storage. It's all on the UPR Github. I was surprised it worked at all. It clearly wasn't intended. I spent a while looking at part switcher mods that could but I found WBI to be the only one that worked (easily).

9 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

Not  a huge deal, but since it is still early in development you misspelled Distribution under the folder gamedata\upr\ResourceDistrabution

I'm not surprised there are spelling mistakes. There's probably a ton.

I Decided to use Rational Resources to deploy resources. Note this is a different PlayMode called UPR so it has different resources distributions to Rational Resources' CRP mode. Also patched RR parts to fit in properly to UPR.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.