Why does RCS make my craft rotate?

Hi all,

I'm playing KSP EE on PS4, and I'm enjoying it most of the time. However, there is one issue with RCS that really bothers me. When I activate it and use L1+R1 (or L1+R2), instead of pushing the craft only "forward" (or "backward"), it also generates a radial thrust that makes the craft rotate. The craft stabilizes itself right away when I release the buttons, but I'm wasting a lot of monopropellant because of this.

Does anyone experience this issue, too? Is it a bug or does it have to do with the craft configuration?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by pioneer6014
Added tags

Have you checked that your thrusters are aligned through the central mass and not offset somehow?

Also that the thrust is balanced. If you have a greater distance from the COM between one thruster and the other one will have more leverage.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Dale Christopher said:

Have you checked that your thrusters are aligned through the central mass and not offset somehow?

Also that the thrust is balanced. If you have a greater distance from the COM between one thruster and the other one will have more leverage.

I usually put four RCS units around the fuel tank, arranged every 90°. Very simple and symmetrical configuration...

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

Typically, when the question is asked "Why is my ship rotating or spinning?", you have set the trim.   Try nulling out your trim.  I'm not sure how to do this on console though.

Interesting, thanks. I don't think I've "set the trim", at least not deliberately. I will look into this, though.

After searching a bit, it looks like the trim could indeed be the cause of my issue. I'll try in game to make sure.

In the meantime, for those looking for trim controls on consoles, I've found these two threads:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.