What kind of Movie or GIF editing software do you use?

xendelaar

I see all these great KSP video's or gif's going around on the internet and I'm wondering which (free?) ones you guys use to make them? Which ones do you recommend? 

Last night I tried to make a KSP movie with some "free" software and noticed  a HUGE watermark was embedded into the movie, making it unbearable to watch haha. It took me hours to make the video... I felt so stupid haha. Maybe I'll buy a pro version in the future... but for now, I just want to test if the movie making hobby is something I enjoy doing. 

Edited by xendelaar

I use VideoPad. It's powerful enough for my needs and rather inexpensive, and the demo is almost full featured. No watermarks or time limits, just some things when you try to use them, it says you need the full version (Annoying but you can in all cases just not use that thing). The only thing that I ever wanted to use but couldn't was transitions between scenes. They allwowed simple ones like fades but not more complex ones like swipes or page turns etc. Pretty much every video I made in the past couple years up to April of this year, I made with VideoPad's demo.

Then I bought the home version on sale for $50 (Normally $70 I think).

Shotcut for movies. Forgot which (awesome) forum user recommended it to me sometime ago, but I pretty satisfied of it. Somewhat not as completed as Adobe Premier, but it's free and open-source.

Edit: The edition of the sound is pretty bad though. While you can part video and audio from a file, in order to edit the last, the program is still unable to put them together again. As a result you must keep on editing files separately for all the video...

Edited by XB-70A

10 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I use VideoPad. It's powerful enough for my needs and rather inexpensive, and the demo is almost full featured. No watermarks or time limits, just some things when you try to use them, it says you need the full version (Annoying but you can in all cases just not use that thing). The only thing that I ever wanted to use but couldn't was transitions between scenes. They allwowed simple ones like fades but not more complex ones like swipes or page turns etc. Pretty much every video I made in the past couple years up to April of this year, I made with VideoPad's demo.

Then I bought the home version on sale for $50 (Normally $70 I think).

just made my first video with Videopad.. adding text to a scene went tediously slow, but other than that it's a perfect program! Thank you!!

(shameless link to video)

5 hours ago, xendelaar said:

(shameless link to video)

If I may critique it slightly - It is quite... choppy the framerate. As if its was stitching together screenshots at a lower fps or not properly time accelerating things

Or maybe its some other problem I'm not recognizing.

6 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Yeah I found for adding a lot of text subtitles is the way to go. I only use the text overlays for titles, and when I want the text to animate in some way.

aaahhh! that makes sense! didn't test that option! thanks. 

2 hours ago, qzgy said:

If I may critique it slightly - It is quite... choppy the framerate. As if its was stitching together screenshots at a lower fps or not properly time accelerating things

Or maybe its some other problem I'm not recognizing.

you're absolutely right! It's 10 hours of screenshot footage.

at that time, I didn't have any proper recording software. I used bandycam and that only allowed me to record 10 minutes of footage. I was already busy with the mission when I noticed the 10 minute cap, so I then decided to write an autohotkey script on the fly (pun intended) that would take a screenshot every 30 to 60 seconds.  The result is what you see above..

If I ever decide to do this kind of (10hr) mission again again I will still consider the autohotkey script method, because 10 hours of 2k movie footage takes up a lot of storage haha. 

but for smaller missions, I will definitely record a proper video and time accelerate it within the movie editor. the choppyness in my latest video is hardly bearable to watch. :)

thanks for watching btw!  

Back when I did it, I got in the habit of noticing when something interesting was going to happen and then recording just that thing. You end up with dozens (or hundreds) of little film clips which can be annoying (and take a long time to edit) but if you're cool with importing all your screen shots, you should try it :)

And you'll quickly find that by being judicious during playing makes editing far easier, as you'll have less to cut out.

3 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Back when I did it, I got in the habit of noticing when something interesting was going to happen and then recording just that thing. You end up with dozens (or hundreds) of little film clips which can be annoying (and take a long time to edit) but if you're cool with importing all your screen shots, you should try it :)

And you'll quickly find that by being judicious during playing makes editing far easier, as you'll have less to cut out.

thanks for the tip! I notice I forget to take screenshots during important of interesting events, because... well.. my mind is caught up by the interesting or important event haha. so that's why the authotkey-print-screen-script was ideal for me. The result isn't what I hoped for, so I will definitely try to record only the interesting bits from now on.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.