StarMods: ResearchBodies

SQUAD

2de7282a9ff1b14de9adedc6df7f4d761b266763

ResearchBodies is a really cool Mod that makes Career mode even more realistic by making Celestial Bodies invisible at the start of a new game. Scan the skies and discover planets with a telescope, research them meticulously, and accept new contracts to gather science to advance your space program and unlock the Observatory Facility. Cool, right? 

Click here to learn more and get ResearchBodies

0f11d733453d24f64e039f2dc041dc8107b3958e

1 hour ago, SQUAD said:

ResearchBodies is a really cool Mod

Totally agreed

1 hour ago, SQUAD said:

that makes Career mode even more realistic by making Celestial Bodies invisible at the start of a new game.

We have different definitions of "realistic" :)

14 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

We have different definitions of "realistic" :)

I have to agree. If this were realistic, you'd have a really bad ground-based telescope that Kerbals would sit at, night after night, until those tiny little moving dots are identified as planets orbiting some central point, followed by a bloody argument over whether Kerbin is the center or not. Eventually the game would announce a theory of gravity, which would sit unused for rocket flight until yet another bloody argument using rockets to blow up the other side of the argument, finally followed by someone asking, "What if we used a rocket to, you know, send something up and not immediately blow up when it comes down? And can we send something up and *keep it up*?

Someone, get to work on a mod for this. No KSP game will be realistic without hundreds of years of progress before you can use the map view or unlock the very first tech node.

(I might be a bit cheeky.)

I think it's the coolest mod for new players and for those starting in new planetary systems. Prevents spoiling the fun of discovery. I installed it for every friend of mine who got hooked up on KSP.

59 minutes ago, Enceos said:

I think it's the coolest mod for new players and for those starting in new planetary systems. Prevents spoiling the fun of discovery. I installed it for every friend of mine who got hooked up on KSP.

The only thing I don’t like about it is that it is nearly impossible to keep a telescope locked to a star (unless they fixed that issue since I last used it). 

Even the smallest reaction wheel at 0.5 power moves too much to keep stable. 

EDIT: The telescope I am thinking of actually comes from the Tarsier Telescopes mod by the same author though so that isn’t actually an issue with this mod. 

Edited by MechBFP

• 1 month later...

I've tried this mod and its OK.  However, I chose not to use it for several reasons:

1) I know there are planets out there already - I've played the game - so its a bit anti-climatic for me.

2) The various telescopes and their relation to career mode doesn't make any sense to me.  Remember how much we learned about the universe with ground based telescopes only - every planet, and a good number of moons - not to mention supernovas, etc.  It was the advent of rocketry and space probes and the advancement of accompanying areas of 'astro-scientific' studies that really advanced our deeper understanding of the bodies in our solar system. (Hubble came along well after some of the most astounding solar system exploration programs like Mariner, Luna, Venera, Explorer, Voyager, Viking, etc.)

3) Our use of space telescopes in the real world is typically deep field studies, and the understanding of deep space structures and phenomenon. Sure, we do have some on-going planetary monitoring (Jupiter for example), but Hubble is primarily looking outside of our solar system.  In KSP,  there is NOTHING outside of the Kerbol system (Perhaps this mod might be VERY cool when KSP 2 arrives - I'll keep an eye out for that)

So, for me this is not a top rated mod - I see it as more of a game mod than a realism mod.

All that said, I'm sure there are a large number of KSPers who will enjoy this - so go for it!

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/30/2019 at 1:16 PM, LitaAlto said:

I have to agree. If this were realistic, you'd have a really bad ground-based telescope that Kerbals would sit at, night after night, until those tiny little moving dots are identified as planets orbiting some central point, followed by a bloody argument over whether Kerbin is the center or not. Eventually the game would announce a theory of gravity, which would sit unused for rocket flight until yet another bloody argument using rockets to blow up the other side of the argument, finally followed by someone asking, "What if we used a rocket to, you know, send something up and not immediately blow up when it comes down? And can we send something up and *keep it up*?

Someone, get to work on a mod for this. No KSP game will be realistic without hundreds of years of progress before you can use the map view or unlock the very first tech node.

(I might be a bit cheeky.)

You will start out with Kerbal in loincloth throwing rocks at the sky. 

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.