- Nuclear_Hamsters Phoenix Series - Avaliable now -

Good evening.

I have recently launched a thread about my general input into the Kerbal Space Program, and from the feedback i received, I have decided it would be unfair to let you chaps wait any longer to try these out. The blog can be found Here If you are somewhat interested in how my development started.

Ok, I shall now present: The Phoenix Series.

Phoenix Mk I

This is where it all Began. This Core chassis is extremely stable, and I found it such an easy craft to fly.

Instructions: It's take-off speed is about 80m/s. Run it to the full length of the runway at 110m/s for a clean take-off. Moderate difficulty take-off.

9FEF2EF19182F4F9F397C797B218949B9C61DACC

363720B4B6C5875B31B3700061EB6A06B3AB63FD

Phoenix Mk II

This was a successful cast-off from the former craft. I was experimenting with wing designs, especially tail fins to see how well it change its performance. The one I show you now is specifically tuned for stable low flight manoeuvres. If left with a nose up pitch using SAS, it will cruise at around 4-5,000m

Instructions: The Tail gives extra lift and also a lower clearance at the rear. Be extra careful during take-off. Nose up towards the end of the runway and hold the pitch. Keep the nose up pressure along the runway for easier Yaw movement.

8777518721C41C77EA72820171FC0CF94872AFA9

61CE628628082B67ED2526F02ADE585B915520E6

Phoenix VTOL

This design, I like very much. It's my first VTOL and its quite effective. I have already balanced it out, so there is no need for fine tuning. It has a capability to Fly perfectly well Horizontally too, at a fast pace.

Instructions: Spool up the engines to about 66% and it Should have lift at around 70% on full tanks. Activating the next stage triggers the main engines. Deactivate and reactivate the hovering engines at a good horizontal pace to avoid crashing. Oh, and Sloooow movements whilst hovering. Never put the aircraft further than the gimbal range (about 5 degrees).

A65D3DEEC149ECDF70AB64564612DDD59BB14D1B

C4BB41EE11A8E11A0AB96D9C10BB581832B65545

Phoenix Fighter

This fighter is Fast, and manoeuvrable. It also has drop tanks for extended range. Its by far the most fun to fly around because of its Nimble nature. The engines were designed close together so it had a better Turning circle.

Instructions: Its an easy one to take off. Drop tanks can be released on second stage, either on the runway or in the air. They fall with parachutes. Fighter will automatically draw from the drop tanks first. Fully loaded, fly at 10,000m. Drop tanks lost, it's the usual 15/16. When turning keep the Roll angle level with the turn to avoid loosing control - Exactly like a normal fighter. Avoid sharp turns with the drop tanks - they aren't there for that. If you handle it good, it will fly even better.

12DA0D5FC95587E813F6AB6091267DA4A8C5A2B1

6F079D55667223A1D9321C523C2E50F54083B7C1

Phoenix One

This. This is the flagship. With this, I went from the Surface of kerbin, to a 4k orbit of the mun, to a 5k slingshot around mimnus and then back to land on the runway - all in one trip with 8 Tanks of Jet fuel to spare. Its designed so that the rockets do not eat the Jet fuel too!

Instructions: take-off, lift nose at 70m/s. Rear wheels act as trolleys behind main undercarriage. Try not to put all the weight of the aircraft on them, they are only there to prevent damage. Be careful pitching up too much after take-off. It was designed for easy re-entry, which has made climbing almost impossible without the SAS. Activate rockets at about 9000m. Keep the pitch at around 60 degrees. Never boost in space whilst rotating. Ensure you have no rotation and lined up for re-entry and -use the stage to drop the rocket boosters-. Should be fine with that because they are the usual rules of space flight >.<

E35089E6E82CE9A048EFCE97CEC503DD346DF5CF

60C33A32197841344C27789282F0803E0115352D

I hope you Enjoy these. They took a great deal of work to produce, and I would appreciate Feedback!

~ Nukey

I will gladly try them out. Unfortunately i haven't the time right now but in the weekend i will surely give it a go.

I don't know if you do requests: Remove the upper rocket tanks and move the cockpit somewhere else. That way it will add a possibility for (large) payloads.

Removing the upper rocket tanks will severely impact its overall range in space. I would try putting them in a different position, but it did take a very long time to balance it out for stable space worthy flight. I'm wondering if future planets will have atmospheres which the engines could breathe. If they do, this Spacecraft would be perfect for them.

Ok. As it stands currently, Phoenix One will travel to a geostationary orbit on a little over half tanks. Does it need space for a detachable module? Do you want the module integrated?

I will have a tinker and see what I can manage.

My Design inspiration for this Series was the Russian Tupolev Series, mostly the TU-22 and the TU-160's. Making it go to space was just a one up :D. But i will try. One problem I know I face already is the amount of lift -required- will substantially decrease on the way back down.... but like I said I shall tinker.

combine Damned robotics with damned aerospace, then enjoy tilting your engines while the fuel drains evenly across all tanks retaining most of the starting balance of the craft. be careful to read up on weather or not the engine uses gimbal and beware engines with negative gimbal values. DA and DR have given us more than enough tools to make amazing craft.

and wonderful craft you have there! your computer must use the latest anti lava gel coating

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for these comments. Each craft only took about an hour to produce, once I had finalised and finished the Phoenix MK I overall chassis. The Mk I took on and off a week to design, tinker, master, change and fiddle with before is was happy.

The whole point of this VTOL was to prove that such things as a stable stock aircraft do exist. So long as you use small corrections, it works a charm. I've even managed to land it on the Spaceplane Hangar, on top of the invisible block that surrounds it. It will easily transfer to normal powered flight too, and back again if you right click the engines to activate/deactivate them.

And yes, I do have a bit of a beastly machine. I do forget that others might not find it as easy to control with lower FPS's. If I publish any more craft, I will try to make them easier for others to get into the air.

Patch Update

Unfortunately, the recent 1.7 patching has rendered the Phoenix One unable to get into Orbit. It will manage the height, but that's it. A Shame, since I spent so long tinkering with it. Judgng by how much it lags already, I doubt that the Phoenix's will manage to safely Orbit in the traditional mannerisms. It is not in their style to be broken for the purpose of space. Perhaps the next series will be more willing to shed their parts!

Also, the Phoenix Fighter. Yes it is a Fighter. I know its large, but in comparison to the size of the other aircraft, its a marvel. I also find it a joy to fly.

Goodbye for now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.