The WORST thing about KSP...

MR L A

For me, it’s not any of the game’s bugs in whatever form they’re currently residing. It’s not the now-rare kraken strike. Nor is it the decreasing performance at high part counts (over 30 for me and my computato). 

No, the very worst part for me and my 2000 hour love affair with KSP is the need I have to check the forums every few hours for a dev update. 

Don’t get me wrongs, I am in absolutely no way criticising squad here for lack of communication... it’s just I’m a little obsessed and, honestly, I think the obsession could only be fended off if I actually worked on developing the game.

So, what’s the “worst part” for you guys? 

And I mean that in a way that is also kind of positive... like it being a huge time sink :)

The fact that whenever I am doing anything routine, I feel a really strong need to swap to my Sandbox save and make Yet Another SSTO. It's even worse now I 'get' the props and am wrestling with the fiendish challenge known as the thin atmosphere of Duna.

48 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

The amount of money I've spent on PC hardware just to make this game happy.

Indeed!  I just lost my beloved 7yr old mobo to a lightning surges on the power grid.  My wife got a spiffy new fridge out of the deal...  I'm probably gonna need to drop about $800 now on a new mobo, RAM, CPU, and OEM Win10 Pro (curse you MS! for attaching your OS to a dead mobo).  It had a good run though...  RIP

4 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

OEM Win10 Pro (curse you MS! for attaching your OS to a dead mobo).

I'm pretty sure you can fix that with a phone call, they just won't let you do it a lot.

There are... other options, as well.  Ones that aren't essentially rentals.  Use the money you didn't give to MS just because they wanted it on a good UPS with equipment coverage.

11 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

Indeed!  I just lost my beloved 7yr old mobo to a lightning surges on the power grid.  

A UPS/Surge Protector costs less than $100 and safeguards against that, and the frustration of brownouts. In the US, with many neighborhoods having above-ground powerlines running through trees, almost a necessity.

About two decades ago I read in German computer magazine C’T a test on UPS’es and it dryly pointed out the curious fact that nearly all brands were from two specific countries. Living in one of them I can attest that their suspicion was at least 50% correct.

23 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I'm pretty sure you can fix that with a phone call, they just won't let you do it a lot.

There are... other options, as well.  Ones that aren't essentially rentals.  Use the money you didn't give to MS just because they wanted it on a good UPS with equipment coverage.

@Kerbert@Geonovast

I have a rather nice UPS actually.  ...will run the PC, monitor, and modem/router for like 30 mins in a power outage.

The  surge somehow managed to just takeout the ethernet and sound on my mobo.  Somehow it had to have been associated with the ethernet cable coming from my wall jacks.  The router/modem is on the same UPS, but I have to attach it to my wall jack for the cable service.  That was something I did not anticipate, maybe the fridge and mobo just decided it was time to bow out together (had to fix my dishwasher too though?).  Might need to install a whole-house surge protector.   The new mobo I'm looking at will have built-in wireless, so no more ethernet cable.

My issue with Win10 is that I bought it so long ago, it was really Win7... and of course, I took advantage of the free upgrade to 10 option.  I have heard that others in similar situations have gotten nowhere with MS when going the cust service phonecall route.  They basically say, sorry that was a freebie upgrade and you have to buy it now.   I dunno, if I yell at them enough maybe...  I have since learned that in a recent Win10 upgrade they added some sort of "creator" setting.  Where if you register it with MS online at activation (setup a login and so forth) you can somehow reassign the mobo on your account.  Which is cool, but I don't recall setting anything up like that so I may just be SOL this time. 

If any of you haven't already, maybe a good time to look into that MS creator registration thing.  Since it took out my mobo ethernet, I can't get the mobo to talk to MS.  I dunno, do I want to yell at an MS tech in India for 2 hours... or just pay $100...  hmmmm...

Edited by XLjedi

2 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

The fact that there are so many awesome mods out there that I want to download, but my RAM is already full to the brim with stuff that I rarely use but just can’t bear to get rid of :P

RAM is actually really cheap right now, at least DDR4 is.  If your computer can handle more, it's probably a good time to get some.

10 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

RAM is actually really cheap right now, at least DDR4 is.  If your computer can handle more, it's probably a good time to get some.

Problem is, I’m playing on a laptop, which means that I can’t really add any more RAM, or replace it for that matter. It’s my worst enemy when it comes to my mod obsession :rolleyes:

Edited by RealKerbal3x

3 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Problem is, I’m playing on a laptop, which means that I can’t really add any more RAM, or replace it for that matter. It’s my worst enemy when it comes to my mod obsession :rolleyes:

That solely depends on the laptop.  I recently upgraded the RAM in mine.

PM me the model number and I'll look into it for ya.

Edited by Geonovast

2 hours ago, XLjedi said:

@Kerbert@Geonovast

I have a rather nice UPS actually.  ...will run the PC, monitor, and modem/router for like 30 mins in a power outage.

The  surge somehow managed to just takeout the ethernet and sound on my mobo.  Somehow it had to have been associated with the ethernet cable coming from my wall jacks.  The router/modem is on the same UPS, but I have to attach it to my wall jack for the cable service.  That was something I did not anticipate, maybe the fridge and mobo just decided it was time to bow out together (had to fix my dishwasher too though?).  Might need to install a whole-house surge protector.   The new mobo I'm looking at will have built-in wireless, so no more ethernet cable.

My issue with Win10 is that I bought it so long ago, it was really Win7... and of course, I took advantage of the free upgrade to 10 option.  I have heard that others in similar situations have gotten nowhere with MS when going the cust service phonecall route.  They basically say, sorry that was a freebie upgrade and you have to buy it now.   I dunno, if I yell at them enough maybe...  I have since learned that in a recent Win10 upgrade they added some sort of "creator" setting.  Where if you register it with MS online at activation (setup a login and so forth) you can somehow reassign the mobo on your account.  Which is cool, but I don't recall setting anything up like that so I may just be SOL this time. 

If any of you haven't already, maybe a good time to look into that MS creator registration thing.  Since it took out my mobo ethernet, I can't get the mobo to talk to MS.  I dunno, do I want to yell at an MS tech in India for 2 hours... or just pay $100...  hmmmm...

It used to be, at least as of build 1803, that you could simply download Win 10 off of the MS site and then enter the Win 7 key into the registration and it would take it. I've done that multiple times after upgrading systems, changing hard drives out, etc. I haven't tried it on 1809 or 1903 yet, so YMMV. (And, for complete truth in advertising, the key I'm using is a retail Win 7 upgrade key I bought back in 2011, not an OEM key. So that may come into play as well.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for what I hate about KSP: The science system. It's the least logical, least realistic, most grindy, most annoying part of the entire game.

What I hate the most?

When I'm trying to get a plane's trim (that is, rotating pitch control surfaces enough degrees to make the plane fly level with minimum SAS assistance) just right and the game crashes with an access violation after about 20 reverts.

Or, more recently since I got MH, when the game suddenly decides to completely stop for several minutes to the point where every single click pops up a Windows notification that KSP is not responding and asking if I want to kill the process. At one point, I clicked no and Windows killed it anyway.

It genuinely bothers me that I keep planning cumbersome missions, coming up with a ton of ideas and concocting evil plans for conquering the universe, but I never ever finish anyth

Edited by Aelipse

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.