Coolest Thing You've Done in KSP?

8 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

And then you learn how bad the mainstream media is about talking about space..

You could have gone with "how bad the mainstream media is about talking about ______"  and still been correct.  :D

As far as what I'm doing cool, trying to make a version with fewer mods than I normally use that will hopefully run better.  BUT trying to keep a handful of parts that I really like & don't want to give up from mods I'm trying to cut.  So far, it's mostly beating my head against my desk.  And it's rapidly ballooning into nearly as big as my normal install.  Which makes no sense because other than 4 or 5 parts, I've deleted 4 very large mods & 2 or 3 small ones.  So maybe not so cool.

Edited by Cavscout74

I am not 100% sure that this counts as it is has nothing to do with cool looking space stations or anything like that(even tho that is cool too). But the thing that i am currently trying to do is to make a mini mod as an extension for the Principia mod(that mod that adds n-body gravity and such). Principia has a thing with RSS where it gives the Earth and the Moon what i call the "lumpy gravity condition", and for the Earth that means that it is slightly flattend due to its rotation as it is in real life. That means that if you have a sattelite in a high inclination orbit, the ascending and decending nodes will slowly rotate around the equator. And for the Moon it leads to low orbiting bodies being destabelized over many years, and will eventually crash into the surface. Principia will model all of these effects in RSS, but what i am aiming to do is to replicate this behaviour in the stock system as well. As for example, Minmus is very lumpy, so if i can give it equally lumpy gravity, the orbits around it should get very interesting. The main problem with all of this is that Principia wants a very special encoding for this lumpyness, and i think that i have finally managed to solve it. For this image, i have an image of minmus on the left, but on the right is my own small program to decode the special encoding that my mod spits out. And if You look closely, That ball on the right sortof looks like minmus, where the redder areas corresponds to the flats, and the greener areas corresponds to the highlands. What is so cool about all of this is that the special encoding enabled me to generate that right sphere using only about 40 numbers, instead of the 10000 i would need to get each height individially.

pOCYot4.png

And if you ask me, i think that giving lumpy gravity to minmus is quite cool.

I actually succeded in getting my mini mod to work. I am so happy that i actually managed to do it.

My sattelite is in a perfectly circular 15km orbit over minmus, and the flightplan says that i will crash in a few orbits, as the hills and flats of minmus messes with my orbit.

nr7wbl3.jpg

Qsf5vDp.jpg

Now it is time to stress test this feature to see how many bodies i can give this to without lagging too much.

That is neither going to work, nor is it required, as the only thing my mod does is to generate a single config file for a much larger mod, so i cant test it on its own. And I also only wanted to see if it lagged noticible more with every body in the system having this feature. I have also already done it so that it does it to all of them, and i didnt notice any lag issues at all.

@Eriksonn ahh. Just remember to know if theres an issue KSP is pretty good when its first started.

Changing scenes, building larger crafts etc will show more issues after a few hours.

I have a mod that has KSP just stick every so many seconds when transfering fuel. This doesnt happen when KSP has freshly started

On 8/7/2019 at 12:06 PM, Eriksonn said:

I actually succeded in getting my mini mod to work. I am so happy that i actually managed to do it.

My sattelite is in a perfectly circular 15km orbit over minmus, and the flightplan says that i will crash in a few orbits, as the hills and flats of minmus messes with my orbit.

nr7wbl3.jpg

Qsf5vDp.jpg

Now it is time to stress test this feature to see how many bodies i can give this to without lagging too much.

That is really cool! It often feels a little too lazy just forgetting probes on a low orbit, knowing they won’t ever crash. Couple of questions, though:

a) Does it only work when the craft is loaded, or will it wreak havoc on orbits, while you’re doing stuff on other ships as well?

b) Are higher orbits less susceptible for those irregularities and thus safer? What I’m thinking is higher orbit should be exponentially safer, right?

Figuring out how to make planes with excellent handling qualities, that are a joy to hand-fly without SAS or reaction-wheel torque - and, as a consequence, the video below.

Take it as an opinion piece about why anyone interested in winged vehicles, who isn't already using a joystick, should REALLY try using one. Or a joypad, whatever you have that has proper analog inputs for primary flight controls.

On 8/9/2019 at 8:16 AM, villetuomas said:

That is really cool! It often feels a little too lazy just forgetting probes on a low orbit, knowing they won’t ever crash. Couple of questions, though:

a) Does it only work when the craft is loaded, or will it wreak havoc on orbits, while you’re doing stuff on other ships as well?

b) Are higher orbits less susceptible for those irregularities and thus safer? What I’m thinking is higher orbit should be exponentially safer, right?

Firstly, the main mod for this is the principia mod that I didnt make. My mod only adds some config files That principia uses. I am not fully done with my little mod either. I can still awnser your questions tho.

a) It will (as any other orbit), keep orbiting when you are not looking. And can destabelize when you are not looking, so keep an eye out on sattelites in lower orbits-

b) Yes, and it also depends on the "lumpyness" of the body you are orbiting. Minmus is quite lumpy and Gilly is even worse. The Mun and Ike are less lumpy, so they wont be as suceptible to this. I did some tests and it appears that a 30km orbit around mun is just barely stable enough to not collide, but a 50 km orbit is fine. Both of those options gets quite a high inclination after a while(maybe 5 degrees or thereabout). A 25 km orbit of Minmus seems fine aswell. Compared to the radius of each moon, the stable minmus orbit was further out due to the higher lumpyness of minmus.

On 8/11/2019 at 5:00 PM, Eriksonn said:

Firstly, the main mod for this is the principia mod that I didnt make. My mod only adds some config files That principia uses. I am not fully done with my little mod either. I can still awnser your questions tho.

a) It will (as any other orbit), keep orbiting when you are not looking. And can destabelize when you are not looking, so keep an eye out on sattelites in lower orbits-

b) Yes, and it also depends on the "lumpyness" of the body you are orbiting. Minmus is quite lumpy and Gilly is even worse. The Mun and Ike are less lumpy, so they wont be as suceptible to this. I did some tests and it appears that a 30km orbit around mun is just barely stable enough to not collide, but a 50 km orbit is fine. Both of those options gets quite a high inclination after a while(maybe 5 degrees or thereabout). A 25 km orbit of Minmus seems fine aswell. Compared to the radius of each moon, the stable minmus orbit was further out due to the higher lumpyness of minmus.

Super awesome work! I'd love to see Principia for the stock system... does it really not already exist?

3 hours ago, MR L A said:

Super awesome work! I'd love to see Principia for the stock system... does it really not already exist?

Principia uses the stock bodies by default, but it has to alter the orbits for stability, especially the Jool system. Otherwise some of the moons would get ejected from Kerbol in short order.

On 8/9/2019 at 12:50 PM, n.b.z. said:

Figuring out how to make planes with excellent handling qualities, that are a joy to hand-fly without SAS or reaction-wheel torque - and, as a consequence, the video below.

Take it as an opinion piece about why anyone interested in winged vehicles, who isn't already using a joystick, should REALLY try using one. Or a joypad, whatever you have that has proper analog inputs for primary flight controls.

Nice work. Cool plane and nice flying too. Agree on the joystick! Not only amazing for flying planes, but for docking and landers too. Nothing beats manual landings Apollo/LEM style, or taking planes for spins just like you did in that video. Great stuff mate!

• 3 weeks later...

Hard to pick just one...

-Landed at least a probe on every solid-ish body in the solar system.
-Built a working single-engine-to-orbit mostly-reusable shuttle.
-Built a working horizontal-takeoff SSTO based on the Skylon design. It even has a meager payload!!!
-Built a Minmus science grinding station, with re-useable lander. Currently remaking the mission in a new career mode.
-Made multiple successful Tylo gravity assist captures. It's the only way I approach the Jool system now.
-Managed to get a 160+ ton fuel depot to orbit, and in doing so finally found an answer for the question "What do you use the Rhino for, anyway?"

KSP is just a never-ending series of "coolest things you've ever done" for me. :)

Similarly,  picking just one is hard. I've built and even launched all manner of things, from Space Opera houses to Cathedrals,  stealth rovers,   radio towers,  and aquatic mobile bases,  represented this forum  years  back in the Kerbin cup,  and built all sorts of things for kerbal fanfics.
Plus, more stuff I want people to go and see is in my forum signature.

But there's one thing isn't going to be beaten, and that's the world's lightest Eve ascent vehicle. Actually, it's barely even  a vehicle. 

AgPmpsy.png

This ladderforce glitch powered Eve ascender will get you of that planet in under 220 kg. It works in pure stock, no cheats required, and it is 100% a valid way to leave Eve.

Edited by Tw1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.