REMEMBER: A KSP Collaborative Game based on Forgotten Space Program (modpack finalized (mostly))

Mod decisions  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Should we do a modification on the stock solar system?

• Use the stock system, possibly with planet addons
    • Use a modified stock system like JNSQ or 6.4x (this will likely be a bit more difficult)
    • Use a modded planetary system like Galileo, New Horizons, etc.
  2. 2. Which of the following rocket parts mods do you want the most?

• Bluedog Design Bureau (historical American rockets)
    • Tantares (Russian rockets)
    • Tundra Exploration (SpaceX)
    • reDIRECT (Space Launch System and Orion)

5 minutes ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

Sorry for wasting your time

I wouldn't call it a waste. About to test another round of mods, to include KSP-AVC and its compatibility override. And I can switch to 1.8.1 if testing brings another fail.

For other Steam users, previous versions are available under Properties in the Betas tab.

3 hours ago, Vagrant203 said:

Input lag and (Not Responding) message at "Expansion Loading Complete", window minimized in hope of reducing processing strain (effective at times predating tests)

This is normal. It will usually suffer a massive lag at "Expansion Loading Complete" and the "not responding" message shows if it takes more than 5 seconds and you click it.

Generally, I just leave it be. Don't worry. It'll get there.

Loading will also be faster after the first time as MM will cache the patches so it doesn't need to reload them

Yeah, this is expected behavior. However, ten minutes is somewhat unusual even for this computer, and the main menu is suffering as well.

The loading screen for settings is having a (Not Responding) moment, without clicking anything. 

Either Near Future is a big stressor or my computer is hitting its limit.

Edited by Vagrant203

5a is complete. Now running CCleaner through a custom clean, to include "wipe free space," then restart. Hoping that Windows will then utilize the full ten gigs I set aside, and maybe more in the system managed paging file.

If that doesn't work, I have truly hit the hard limit of this computer.

Ah, wait, I never deleted the IVAs for Station Parts! *adds to the end of 5b steps*

Edited by Vagrant203

Does anyone have any idea how to do the same thing (allocate more RAM) for Linux? I googled it and it came up with results for Windows...

If not then I cannot do it. Or I could do it first & y'all could add the mods afterwards.

17 minutes ago, fulgur said:

Does anyone have any idea how to do the same thing (allocate more RAM) for Linux? I googled it and it came up with results for Windows...

If not then I cannot do it. Or I could do it first & y'all could add the mods afterwards.

I think you just run the 64-bit file; it'll take as much ram as it needs. Linux actually had 64-bit support first. It might already be running 64-bit.

12 hours ago, Vagrant203 said:

I am SO DONE. Go on without me and this potato-brain piece of sheep manure.

Reveal hidden contents

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGH! loveING PIECE OF excrements!

I guess you could take a first turn with just the Stage 1 mods? Or hope you get a better computer, whatever.

1 hour ago, LittleBitMore said:

Ok, we should really really slim down the modpack. This will be a huge issue for many people.

It's already relatively slim - as I said, runs in about 5 minutes on my computer and 8 Gb of memory is plenty. It's way smaller than packs I usually play with, at least. @fulgur, did you get it working?

Also, @Vagrant203, how much RAM does your computer have? And what do you see when you use Task Manager on KSP? Is it using up all the memory?

Edit: it uses less than 2.7 Gb of memory for me. Does go not-responding a long time, though. Make extra sure you're running the 64-bit version. How are you launching the game, through Steam?

Edited by greenTurtle1134

4 hours ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

. .. what do you see when you use Task Manager on KSP? Is it using up all the memory?

Edit: it uses less than 2.7 Gb of memory for me. Does go not-responding a long time, though. Make extra sure you're running the 64-bit version. How are you launching the game, through Steam?

I launch the game through the stand-alone launcher mostly, since Steam does have a bit of background processing. It does take up all the memory, which is like... Less than 2 gigs. It's a piece of excrements. Fortunately the new computer is looking more and more likely. Someone less skeptical would call it a sure thing, perhaps.

The various options that have been considered all meet or exceed 8 gigs, so it'll be a lot easier. I'm not gonna try and wrestle my current junk into any more mod configurations, I spent hours just getting to playable status the other night after test series 6. Right now it's like a house of cards so I'm careful about even breathing around it.

Edited by Vagrant203

33 minutes ago, Atlessa said:

Is it still possible to join in on this project? I have a few ideas for what I would do in my cycle. :)

Of course it is! One cool feature of this project is that people can drop in at any time. You might want to check that your computer can run the modpack first. Right now I'm still working on the program to handle Forgetting...

Note: I've added HullcamVDS and IndicatorLights as "Stage 3". I think I'll leave out BDB for now. It's easier to add mods later than to remove them after all...

Okay, at this point I'm seriously considering leaving Bluedog Design Bureau out of the modpack. Just from scrolling through the list, it contains a ton of parts that are ONLY going to be of interest to people building replicas - all the part niches are going to be pretty well covered between ReStock and NFT. All those parts also mean a ton of RAM usage, as well.

A lot of people seemed to want it further up in the thread, thought, so... thoughts?

Bluedog was one of the packs I tried to hold on to through testing due to its versatility, but it caused more strain than the NF probe pack.

I would like to again bring up the hope of perhaps getting some downsized textures for the parts packs. I might try experimenting with a single pack's textures, but I'm pretty worn out on extensive testing.

I would also prefer that mod authors provide downsized textures rather than a third party modification and worry about licensing.

Edited by Vagrant203

1) Out of KSP, KSP.x86,  KSP.x86_64, KSPLauncher.x86_64 and Launcher.x86_64, which file should I run? I click them all interchangeably, but presumably one will be better...

2) I am slightly busy for the next few weeks, apologies.

3) No BDB, I would not use it and it is massive.

4) Is this going to be on 1.9.1 now the stable release is out? Or still 1.8.1?

Edited by fulgur

7 hours ago, fulgur said:

1) Out of KSP, KSP.x86,  KSP.x86_64, KSPLauncher.x86_64 and Launcher.x86_64, which file should I run? I click them all interchangeably, but presumably one will be better...

I feel like x86_64 might be referring to the 64 bit version, but x86 is a synonym for 32-bit. Who knows, try it.

2) I am slightly busy for the next few weeks, apologies.

That's OK! You can take a turn whenever you have time. (Turns will be rather long as each is basically its own space program)

3) No BDB, I would not use it and it is massive.

Yeah, I think I'm going to cut it

4) Is this going to be on 1.9.1 now the stable release is out? Or still 1.8.1?

Not all mods are released for 1.9.1. We'll start it on 1.8.1 and I think we can upgrade without breaking the save, right?

Perhaps with BDB, require people to delete certain parts. its very easy and simple with how BDB's file structure is organised. I would recommend only keeping the Thor/Delta and Solids parts, as they fill a very niche gap in the parts list. 1.5m parts are great for early-mid game, and fully solid ICBM based LVs are always fun!

17 hours ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

Note: I've added HullcamVDS and IndicatorLights as "Stage 3".

17 hours ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

HullcamVDS

My prayers have been answered!

In my opinion it's the best mod ever, since it adds a factor not many other part mods have even considered: seeing is believing. How fun would the Apollo missions be without the camera footage? Or the Curiosity mission, for that matter?

16 hours ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

Okay, at this point I'm seriously considering leaving Bluedog Design Bureau out of the modpack.

I don't build replicas, and most people won't build replicas in this kind of challenge thing.

16 hours ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

A lot of people seemed to want it further up in the thread, thought, so... thoughts?

What would be great is putting it somewhere in the OP. The mod pack, i mean (I hope you were talking about the mod pack, otherwise misunderstandings). I also hope it can be kept up to date as we remove or add things on.

1 hour ago, Barzon said:

Perhaps with BDB, require people to delete certain parts. its very easy and simple with how BDB's file structure is organised. I would recommend only keeping the Thor/Delta and Solids parts, as they fill a very niche gap in the parts list. 1.5m parts are great for early-mid game, and fully solid ICBM based LVs are always fun!

Unless there's some kind of mod or program that can automatically do that kind of thing for us, not all of us will be willing to do all that or will be able to do all that correctly. Too high of failure chance.

Edited by LittleBitMore
typo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.