Wings explode during reentry

I just made an simple ssto and rescued a kerbal from mun orbit.

I cant aerobreak to kerbin orbit. Normaly i would set my peri to about 45km for aerobreaking with wings but even at 57 my wings just heat up super fast and explode if i deviade from prograde for aerobreaking.

This seems new to me, normaly i could easely aerobreak even if come from other planets with winged craft.

Anyone else has this kind of problem, im on ps4?

Edited by PrvDancer85

I haven't played since the new patch but i think you're overdoing it a little bit. If you want to aerobrake with such speed, stay on prograde and let the process take multiple orbits. I tend to aim for 55-65km. Stay on prograde. 

The idea of pitching the shuttle up has various reasons, mainly to do with the construction of the shuttle( very heat resistant belly in a nutshell). Further down the atmosphere, the shuttle would weave perpendicular to its trajectory (big S's) as to maintain heading for landing while not maintaining as much lift in the denser atmosphere.

Due to game mechanics, the plane will actually suffer from more heat when pitched up, there's no belly to take the beating and shield your other parts. You can however pitch up and down within a margin that your plane can handle to adjust your trajectory for a landing back at ksc.

You can aerobrake even when you're falling from as far as the mun, but at 23-2600m/s+ you really don't want to dive so deep right away!

@Cruss sorry but how many passes would you do to bleed of enough speed if you stay prograde at that altitude? Besides falling from mun into an 57km peri of kerbin isnt that much or it hasnt been in the past. Also the heatresistance of wingparts if higher as for the pod or cabin i used.

I would suspect there is something with drag induced heat going on

Thats pretty much the same craft and it goes to an 50km peri coming from duna

Edited by PrvDancer85

You're going a good 1000m/s slower(at around 60km) on that video you linked! Nice vid tho! 

I've re entered unpowered shuttle replica's and landed them on ksc runway in the past, also with max heating enabled. From my experience, anywhere above 2300m/s, lower than about 40-45km is borrowed time. Even with stock heating, even more so, if you wish to land at a very specific place lol. But in a nutshell, a pitch of 20degrees up or down seemed to be the sweetspot for a mk3 shuttle on ps4. 90 degrees as in your video would wreck most larger craft probably or flip them over. 

It might take 2 or 3 orbits. Depending on the specifics. Maybe even more. So yeah if you can increase the drag by any means necesarry then do so! I do feel that they made atmospheric drag a bit more realistic but that was months ago to be honest! 

If you stay prograde you can go deeper through the atmosphere too and if you just go deep enough you will brake hard regardless of craft size! My ssto's usually needed the shielded docking port cause the nose would blow up otherwhise, both on ascent and descent...

3000m/s is just really hard. That's enough to send something to (min)mus basically. 

Edited by Cruss

Nope it goes to 50500m @ 3400ms and survies just fine.

Thx

The way the craft is build its extreme stable, there is no flipping, if aeroforces getting too strong it only goes more prograde. So there is just a heat buildup wich wasnt there before. Its stock heat 100%

Edited by PrvDancer85

Yes, because you go fast enough, so the duration is not too long to be of any concern, and as you get up, heat due to friction, will decrease. 

The only reason you can pull this off is due to your high twr. And as I said on larger spacecraft, unless specifically designed to withstand it, you can not really point 90 degrees up without consequence. 

Try making an ssto that makes it to minmus with large mining equipment(large isru convert and 1 large drill + 1 radial ore tank) and without any refueling and you'll find out what I mean. 

Actually i can show it lol:

I do not remember if this was made with stock heat or not. But you can see i'm on the verge of exploding at much lower speeds.

Edited by Cruss

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.