What Do You Think KSP 1.8 Will Add?

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Ergo.
KSP has gotten perfect.

1.3.1 is indeed the closest the game has come to it so far, but that's not to say there aren't things I'd like to see improved.

What I want: More performance, less jank, regressions fixed.
What I got: DLC, more DLC, simplified versions of mods I was using already.

28 minutes ago, steve_v said:

1.3.1 is indeed the closest the game has come to it so far, but that's not to say there aren't things I'd like to see improved.

What I want: More performance, less jank, regressions fixed.

Be prepared for a lot more of the things you've got already (DLC, more DLC and simplified versions of mods you were using already). KSP proves that new isn't always better (ever since 1.3.1)

1 hour ago, steve_v said:

They are selling the green humanoids for money.
So, they have to keep balance between complexity/perfectness and casual playability.
The obvious way is to implement in stock simplified versions of subsystems implemented in perfect mods, to let casual buyers have simplified tools.

While experienced players:
1) anyway use more perfect and more complex mods;
2) have already bought the game and unlikely would be glad to pay monthly;
, so unlikely really need some complex addition in stock.
While anyway can buy DLC just as a collection item, or as a tool which won't be suddenly eliminated like several well-known mods (we'll not here point with a finger, but all of us are aware, which ones).

Also, we can compare Orions of USI (more toyish) and Nyrath & TiktaalikDreaming (more nerdish) and see the mainstream direction.

Edited by kerbiloid

45 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

The obvious way is to implement in stock simplified versions of subsystems implemented in perfect mods, to let casual buyers have simplified tools.

Sure, fine, whatever. If that's what floats your boat, more power to you. I mean, doing this has killed several great mods, but hey, we get easy-mode versions instead... I guess that's progress? Or, something.

Implementing cut-down versions of mods wasn't really my point anyway, my point was implementing cut-down versions of mods instead of fixing long-standing problems in the existing game.
When are joysticks going to work again on GNU/Linux? When are wheels going to work properly, period? Why are we putting random new "features" on planetary surfaces when planetary surfaces still look as terrible as they did pre-1.0?

Spoiler

Don't shoot the pianist.

Also, it should just be casual-oriented but modder-friendly.
Most of casuals anyway won't install mods, while fans will anyway replace these features with mods.
If mods can extend internal features rather than replace them totally, it's the best.

Edited by kerbiloid

13 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

The obvious way is to implement in stock simplified versions of subsystems implemented in perfect mods

14 hours ago, steve_v said:

simplified versions of mods I was using already.

The really sad part is I still use the mods that should have been replaced because the mods still do it better (Better Burn Time for example).   I think the only mod I've actually been able to delete was Take Command

On 8/3/2019 at 5:27 AM, Fraktal said:

I hope they continue the old part remodeling. Been thinking yesterday that the Swivel, Reliant and Thumper are in need of a Terrier-style facelift.

I REEAAALLYY want the reaction wheels remodeled especially the 1.25m one with those ugly stripes.

I think it will include 

• Docking
  • Flight Planning
  • Improved Map UI
  • New Vessel Types and Vessel Renaming
  • Automatic Fairings
  • Much Improved Models and Textures
  • A slew of new part types
  • Unmanned Probes
  • New Input Modes
  • Two new celestial bodies
  • New Resources System
  • Electricity
  • Lights
  • Functional Air Intakes
  • Music
  • Much improved planets
  • Performance Tweaks

4 hours ago, Scorpiodude said:

I REEAAALLYY want the reaction wheels remodeled especially the 1.25m one with those ugly stripes.

Just as long as they are

1. Still recognisable,  but not worse
  2. Still all different so you can identify them at a glance.

What's wrong with the stripes though? Without little touches like that, most parts would be non-descript cylinders.

4 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Based solely on a one-word update to a bug report I filed months ago, I'm now guessing 1.8 is going to totally revamp science. ;) No, but I think something is changing, as my bug is now listed as "Moot." not fixed. Moot.

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/20887

If only. I always thought click to collect science and follow the instruction contracts were such  shallow ways to implement career mode. They've slowly been changing career, which I never found to be worth playing. I never wanted a game which tells me what to do, like in contracts. I wanted a game which gives me reasons to do things. 

Edited by Tw1

Phases of a release acceptance.

Mon. Devs unsleep after the weekend, morally get prepared to the tomorrow release. Players anticipate it, too.
Tue. Release of version 1.X.0. Devs fall down, morally exhausted. Players' total euphory.
Tue.(evening) Players' total frustration. "Buggzz! Buggzz! We can't to play it!!11". Most of bugs have been successfully brainstormed and claimed.
Tue.(post-evening).Wed.(pre-morning). Players sleep. Devs not.
Wed. Release of version 1.X.1. The Lesser Bugz Edition.
Thu. Players got re-happied. Devs keep listing community-brainstormed bugz.
Fri. Release of version 1.X.2. All major bugs got fixed hidden negotiated a truce.
Sat, Sun. Serenity. Tranquility.

Edited by kerbiloid

18 hours ago, Tw1 said:

I think it will include 

• Docking
  • Flight Planning
  • Improved Map UI
  • New Vessel Types and Vessel Renaming
  • Automatic Fairings
  • Much Improved Models and Textures
  • A slew of new part types
  • Unmanned Probes
  • New Input Modes
  • Two new celestial bodies
  • New Resources System
  • Electricity
  • Lights
  • Functional Air Intakes
  • Music
  • Much improved planets
  • Performance Tweaks

And, still, no clouds.

20 hours ago, Tw1 said:

as long as they are

1. Still recognisable,  but not worse
  2. Still all different so you can identify them at a glance.

What's wrong with the stripes though? Without little touches like that, most parts would be non-descript cylinders.

It is not that I don't like the stripes it is just that they don't fit in with anything anymore. This means they look rather out of place.

On 8/5/2019 at 7:58 AM, steve_v said:

I mean, doing this has killed several great mods, but hey, we get easy-mode versions instead... I guess that's progress? Or, something.

I don't see, really, a real necessity of getting that mods "killed". As you said, 1.3 was the closest they ever get into a stable, good featured and low bug count as they ever got. There're players on 1.3 yet. And players using pre DLC KSP versions. And players that don't wanna the bells and whistles of the DLCs. They are still there, they didn't ceased to exist due the DLCs.

I don't see this as a mutually exclusive situation.

On 8/5/2019 at 7:58 AM, steve_v said:

Implementing cut-down versions of mods wasn't really my point anyway, my point was implementing cut-down versions of mods instead of fixing long-standing problems in the existing game.

With that, I agree 100%. I don't mind cut down DLCs. I even buy them to get i touch with what's happening (the new robotics aesthetics looks awesome with some designs of mine, besides IR/N still being my workhorse on robotics - and there's KAL).

But some technical debits are starting to get way more than annoying. There're 90 MILLION active players/month on Steam alone - says the last survey (2019), being that 96.28% of Windows players. Guess what? There're 3.72% of Macs and Linux players there. Or about 3.402.000 potential customers, looking for a stable game on their platforms. There're only a few games for them, while that 96.28% of Windows players have their attention and interest disputed by 30.000 titles.

As I said before, I think these guys are suffering from Survivorship Bias. There's life out of the Windows gaming, and for someone that it's fighting to get 1 or 2K more players by month (approximately what Steam Charts are saying me since Breaking Ground gone live), trying to get the attention of 3 millions dedicated but disdained users appears to be a good bet to me. Mainly because you can get them without risking losing any of the Windows ones.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.