[1.9.x] Orbital Utility Vehicle aka Orbital Tug

linuxgurugamer

Forum user @nli2work make this wonderful mod, but he hasn't been around since 2017.  Original thread is here:  https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/133162-112-orbital-utility-vehicle-v124/

@zer0Kerbal and I have teamed up to bring you the latest and greatest version of the Orbital Tug.

a9n9bC5.jpg

Dependencies

Recommends

Do not use any grappler parts as vessel Root. 

• Command Pod, roughly same size as Mk1; will work on IVA when I get my hands on the new PartTools. Now has data transmitter built-in. Two variants depending on other active mods.
    • KAS (pre 1.2): adds front mounted winch unit w 30 meter cable. Size slightly reduced, Increased ejection force. No more harpoon bouncing off of asteroids.
    • SCANSat: adds small SCANSat network uplink unit w/ BTDT scanner and MapTraq modules.
    • B9nodeSwitch adds additional attachment node choices
    • B9textureSwitch for some visual customization options
  • Advanced Drone Unit, derived from the Command Pod.
    • Crew space converted to service bay.
    • More EC and Mono capacity.
    • Integrated RCS thrusters.
    • One variant available
    • RemoteTech: Service bay removed. Adds 500km passive Omni antenna and 9Mm directional antenna, should allow comfortable operation within Kerbin SOI. Increased EC and Mono capacity. Integral RTG will prevent complete loss of control from lack of EC; but will require periodic recharge with additional power sources.
  • Grappler unit, very handy for moving things around when you don't have a docking port. 
    • Moderate EC capacity
    • LF/OX or Mono fuel options.
    • Modular Fuel Tank configs via MM
  • Radial LFO engine
    • Burns LFO or Mono.
    • Reversible thrust.
    • Full extension to around 2m, a tad shorter than the FT400 fuel tank. can give you that extra clearance you need when hauling large objects.
    • Keep Kerbals away from moving parts.
    • Available reverse thrust and thrust Gimbal.
  • Radial NV engine
    • Burns LF or Mono.
    • Reversible thrust.
    • Full extension to around 2m, a tad shorter than the FT400 fuel tank. can give you that extra clearance you need when hauling large objects.
    • Keep Kerbals away from moving parts.
    • Fixed reverse thrust. added thrust Gimbal.
    • KSPI-E Config included
  • Push Adaptor/Service Bay; Grabber/DockingPort/Service Bay. Service Bay replaced by KIS container if you run KIS.
  • Carrier Adaptor
    • Grabber Unit with carrying capacity for up to 4 Helper Drones.
  • Push Adaptor
    • Retained for the time being.
    • Service bay instead of docking bays for for Helper Drones.
  • Helper Drone
    • Remote controlled RCS block with integrated Light and RTG.
    • Max RCS Power of 8, default set to 10%.
    • Use grabber for docking after initial separation (decoupler).
    • 3km Omni antenna when used with Remote Tech.
  • TAC Self Destruct Helper Drone
    • (requires TAC Self Destruct)
  • KIS Bomb Helper Drone
    • (requires KIS)
  • Grappler Jr.
    • Service Bay w/ Grappler Arm and w/ External Command seat.
    • Service Bay replaced with KIS container if KIS is installed. I don't know what it's good for... Jeb made me do it.
  • Orbital Tug Drone Antenna
  • Orbital Tug Winch 
    • (available pre-1.2 KAS)
  • Orbital Tug SCANsat
    • (requires SCANsat)

Availability

Enceo's IVA! Retrofitted from the copula, fits real nice! Pics below
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tav1a9v65w3lfkc/OrbitalTugIVA.rar?dl=0

Blank IVA, more or less, for those what want to roll their own. 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vup6efztxhebf9k/OrbitalTugIVA.zip?dl=0

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Yas!! This is a wonderful mod. So glad to see it making a comeback. Are the models being tweaked?? I havnt used it in a long time but i think the last time i did...some lights wernt operational err something. Doesnt matter...will still download lol.

Thanks LGG! 

4 hours ago, Jesusthebird said:

Yas!! This is a wonderful mod. So glad to see it making a comeback. Are the models being tweaked?? I havnt used it in a long time but i think the last time i did...some lights wernt operational err something. Doesnt matter...will still download lol.

Thanks LGG! 

as far as we know, everything that should be working is. Lights (spot, and cabin on Pod) and so many other little details.

Please, if you see something - tell us or put in an issue on github. :)

On 8/6/2019 at 12:56 PM, zer0Kerbal said:

as far as we know, everything that should be working is. Lights (spot, and cabin on Pod) and so many other little details.

Please, if you see something - tell us or put in an issue on github. :)

Good day sir, I got a warning issue on this part, other part are ok so far. 

1fKjToF.png

13 minutes ago, Targus said:

yes, I have.  

I updated some of the KSPi version of the engineonArm - but since I don't normally use KSPi wasn't able to/not able to debug that version. @FreeThinker might be able to help, and I would love to see that version working well.

Apologies, and thank you for the feedback about the other parts.

I will try to ask this in (below) later today.

Edited by zer0Kerbal

Weird, I'm not aware this specific engine should be affected. Perhaps the part uses name simialr to another engine that is intentionaly affected

Edit: looking through the engine filder, I notticed there is extendedEngine-Interstellar.cfg. 

In noticed the configuration is outdated and most possibly not comptible with the latest version of KSPIE

I will take a look at it and see if I can create a pull request to fix it

Edited by FreeThinker

42 minutes ago, zer0Kerbal said:

I updated some of the KSPi version of the engineonArm - but since I don't normally use KSPi wasn't able to/not able to debug that version. @FreeThinker might be able to help, and I would love to see that version working well.

Apologies, and thank you for the feedback about the other parts.

I will try to ask this in (below) later today.

Thank you very much, I appreciate it  :D

46 minutes ago, zer0Kerbal said:

the engineonArm is one of the most glorious engines in all of KSP in my humble opinion. :):cool:

But wait doesn't it have 2 thrust vectors, one for forward and one for backward? I cannot find it in the config files.

Edit: I'm confused, how how this part implement reversable thrust?!

Edit2: Ok I see now it has a animation that appently instantly rotates the thrust vector. That quite a neat trick

Edited by FreeThinker

Although this engine can rotate its thrust, I can't stop wonder how this would work in reality. The problem is not the pumbing but the radiation, as this vessel cannot have a radiation shield, meaning it will spew deadly radiation in all directions. I guess it would only make sense to use them large unmanned cargo vessels, but docking with any crewed vessels would be problematic. Alternively it would have add additional shield at the top or botum. The core does look like it has some shielding, with a thick layer of neutron aborbing material it would at least not be deadly directly, but that would significanly increase its mass.

Edited by FreeThinker

3 hours ago, Targus said:

"ImproviseAdaptOvercome"  :D:cool:

2O5Zo1O.png

*chuckle* did you also include a way to rotate the engines? love the color scheme! What engines are those?

6 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

but the radiation,

I cannot answer that - but if I remember correctly, @nil2work (the original creator) said that the engines were not designed for safety - rather they were left to run 'dirty'  - the insulation being either not needed (drone) or short lived (only short amount of time near living) or shielding in Pod.

I have thought/considered creating (+PART) a ion version of the engines (say switchable from Xe/Ar/Li and the nuclear part being either a RTG or reactor to help power the ion propulsion.

Edited by zer0Kerbal

4 hours ago, zer0Kerbal said:

*chuckle* did you also include a way to rotate the engines? love the color scheme! What engines are those?

It's a 1.0 hyper engine from hyper drive mod https://www.curseforge.com/kerbal/ksp-mods/hyper-drive made by @Exodus_Solis  

1wTs7qn.png

To rotate the engine, embedded between the "liftatron" and the tank is the "rotatatron" from Infernal Robotics - Next  8AAmpaJ.png

On 8/8/2019 at 4:06 PM, zer0Kerbal said:

I have thought/considered creating (+PART) a ion version of the engines (say switchable from Xe/Ar/Li and the nuclear part being either a RTG or reactor to help power the ion propulsion.

Doesn't make sense in a tug

10 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Doesn't make sense in a tug

short range operation yes, but a tug for intrasolar operation? say from Kerbin to Mun? or further. Am currently too busy to do such, but just thoughts. :)

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

This is the wrong forum to talk about reality :-)

and you were saying about making sense. :P:o:cool:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.