Normal behavior? Wings explode

Just now, PrvDancer85 said:

Coming from mun orbit with an ssto my wings will explode with 57km peri. 

Is this normal?

Yes - your wings are overheating due to re-entry. The mk1 pod has a similar heat tolerance to those wings, and cannot survive re-entry without a heatshield from the Mun.

As the wing's have a high surface area, they are naturally absorbing alot of the heat (and I bet the heat from other parts is radiating into them too).

You need to find a way to dump that excess heat, or re-enter at a lower velocity.

1 hour ago, PrvDancer85 said:

hmm i can throw a mk1pod with a parachute from mun just fine without a heatshield at a 35km peri. The wings have 200kelvin heattolerance more.  

I said similar, not the same.

You have a big blunt object hitting the atmosphere very fast. That craft is going to be taking alot of heat all along that surface area, because the superheated air is hitting it at every point. That heat is then radiating throughout the craft The wings are happening to go first, because they have a bigger surface area.

(Post edited to make my point a little more concisely)

Edited by severedsolo

Yes, it is normal. You can't reenter a spaceplane that uses MK1 parts directly from the Mun in one pass. You need to use a 62 or 63km Pe, and do several aerobraking passes. For each successive pass, you can lower your Pe by a couple km.

@bewing @severedsolo thanks for the answers. I havent realy played the game for half a year and i was used to go much steper throu the atmo without exploding anything. This renders winged ssto useless for me, i dont want to do several aerobreaks coming from just the mun, what about interplantery travels would u even be able to aerobrake to kerbinorbit coming from jool???

Edited by PrvDancer85

3 hours ago, PrvDancer85 said:

@bewing @severedsolo thanks for the answers. I havent realy played the game for half a year and i was used to go much steper throu the atmo without exploding anything. This renders winged ssto useless for me, i dont want to do several aerobreaks coming from just the mun, what about interplantery travels would u even be able to aerobrake to kerbinorbit coming from jool???

Do you remember if you played with the same Re entry Heating in the Difficulty Settings?

You can aerobrake in one pass from Minmus if you use the max temp rated spaceplane parts exclusively. But there is no way in hell you can aerobrake from interplanetary speeds without robotically-deployed heatshields.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.