linuxgurugamer

[1.9.x] Burst Atomic Thrust Module

Recommended Posts


This module allows extra fuel to be dumped into the core of a solid-core atomic engine to gain extra thrust for a short period of time.  This process inevitability cools down the core to such an extent that it loses all power and requires some time to rebuild the core heat in order to be able to function again.

This feature is targeted at space tugs and atomic engines only.  It is not intended to work for non-nuclear engines

Features

  • Activating the module on one engine will automatically activate it on all other engines that have it on the vessel that are active.
  • Engines will flash red while in burst mode, and will flash blue while in reheat recovery mode
  • Can be triggered by an action group if desired.
  • Upon triggering, throttle will be set to 100%
  • The extra fuel used is the square of the extra thrust; for example, if the thrust in burst mode is 1.5x the regular thrust, the fuel used will be 2.25x the amount of fuel normally used.
  • Any movement of the throttle will automatically shut down the burst mode, and also shut down the engines for reheating

The Orbital Utility Vehicle needs and uses this with the atomic engines in the mod

Availability

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, BigFatStupidHead said:

Very interesting. How long are the engines out of commision for after a burst burn?

if I remember correctly, depends upon how long you burst (turboboost) for, however, there is a max time you can burst for, which is configurable. I think the longest you can burst for is 30 seconds, and the cooldown is, I can't remember.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So... in practice it could be used for temporarly rising TWR during landings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, pirx8 said:

So... in practice it could be used for temporarly rising TWR during landings?

I think in regards to ksp...we should probably keep it to.."in theory" :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2019 at 6:01 AM, pirx8 said:

So... in practice it could be used for temporarly rising TWR during landings?

The engine goes full throttle and then shuts down for unknown period of time... excellent for making the suicide burn a real suicide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, A_normal_rocket_scientist said:

how do i use this mod? there is no interface or other obvious ways to turn on a "burst"

It's a support mod for parts mods - you need to have a parts mod that uses it for it to do anything.  It was originally created to add the feature to the engines in this mod:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New release, 0.1.0.1

  • Disabled log spam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all your hard work coding! Can't wait for Ckan to update it. Thears

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just found this :)

What would the ISP be during the burst mode on the stock nuke? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/4/2019 at 10:34 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

This module allows extra fuel to be dumped into the core of a solid-core atomic engine to gain extra thrust for a short period of time.  This process inevitability cools down the core to such an extent that it loses all power and requires some time to rebuild the core heat in order to be able to function again.

lose all power? how does lowerer the core temperature with increase massflow lower a nuclear reactor neutronicity and reactivity?

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

lose all power? how does lowerer the core temperature with increase massflow lower a nuclear reactor neutronicity and reactivity?

Thrust with these engines is obtained by heating the propollent which then gets ejected out of the nozzle.  If the core cools down, then it can't heat the propellant, which means the engine loses thrust.

Even nuclear material can be cooled down, but it heats up again rather quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Thrust with these engines is obtained by heating the propollent which then gets ejected out of the nozzle.  If the core cools down, then it can't heat the propellant, which means the engine loses thrust.

Even nuclear material can be cooled down, but it heats up again rather quickly.

Yes, that makes perfect sence, what does defy logic is your statement that is "it loses all power", which should only occur if somehow the nuclear reaction is stopped, which doesnt happen unless you can somehow introduce an neutron absorber or remove the nuclear material. What I can imagine is that there is a certain amount of stored thermal energy present in the reactor, which could give the illusion that the reactor has lost power, but its just a delay

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

What I can imagine is that there is a certain amount of storege thermal energy present in the reactor, which could give the illusion that the reactor has lost power, but its just a delay

Well, yes.  which is the equivalent of "loses all power", for a short period of time (seconds at most)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Well, yes.  which is the equivalent of "loses all power", for a short period of time (seconds at most)

Flooding the reactor with propellant to the point of loss of thrust still doesn't make much sence, instead, you would increase massflow to the point you would significantly increase thrust at the expanse of lower isp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.