How would you fake a "mission control" co-pilot?

jeancallisti

This is not an add-on per se, because everything relies on external tools, but I think this is the best forum to post this.

I'm having this idea of hosting a two-player game session where one of the players (player #1, aka "pilot") is actually playing KSP (the whole mission in A.L.C.O.R. IVA with a VR headset) and there's a second player (player #2, aka "mission control") who speaks to the first player and gives them guidance.

Player #2 sees what the player #1 sees (simply by looking at their screen) but I'd like to make the conversation more immersive by making player #2 talk to player #1  through their headphones, and possibly add a voice effect to make it sound like a radio or walkie-talkie chat.

So, two questions :

- What voice chat system do you recommend to use while KSP is running? Skype? Discord? Team speak? Doesn't matter?

- what voice modifier would you use for the radio effect? (there are a few third-party products, like those: https://windowsreport.com/change-voice-on-skype/ )

Additional question:

- Is this a dumb idea and is there a much simpler way of doing this?

9 minutes ago, guesswho2778 said:

i dont know how one player being in a vr headset and one not being in one will go

I've explained in the first post: There's really only one player, the one who plays KSP and wears the VR headset. The other "player" doesn't have KSP running and is talking to player #1 through Skype/TeamSpeak/Discord (which is running on player #1's computer alongside KSP).

So it turns out that this is very similar to what I described, and they use Discord : https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/boktgb/anyone_willing_to_play_airport_style_ksp_similar/

Edited by jeancallisti

15 hours ago, jeancallisti said:

There's really only one player, the one who plays KSP and wears the VR headset. The other "player" doesn't have KSP running and is talking to player #1 through Skype/TeamSpeak/Discord (which is running on player #1's computer alongside KSP).

I assumed that one player would be in the map making maneuver nodes and guiding the other player sorry

2 hours ago, zer0Kerbal said:

telemachus? just have to direct to IP other than 127.0.0.1

Excellent suggestion! Thanks!

4 hours ago, guesswho2778 said:

I assumed that one player would be in the map making maneuver nodes and guiding the other player sorry

No need to be sorry :) That would make sense, but since we're physically in the same room, player #2 can just peek at player #1's screen (player #1 won't even notice as he's wearing the VR headset). Also it's meant for beginners so there won't be complex manoeuvers.

Edited by jeancallisti

2 hours ago, guesswho2778 said:

ahh... yes that would make it simpler than doing it through discord and such...

AGAIN: The talk would take place through Discord, to benefit from voice effects like walkie-talkie effect or radio effect.

• KSP = ONE computer (player #2 looks at player #1 screen)
  • Chat = TWO computers (player #2 talks to player #1 with a voice distortion effect)

OK at this point it seems I'm unable to explain what I'm trying to achieve. Nevermind.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, vossiewulf said:

I'd see if I could roll it back to 1.0ish and try the below. Add the right part to all your vehicle parts and the second player can keep you updated with all the telemetry they're receiving. Probably be an adventure just trying to get it to work.

Actually, this was included right into the Telemachus release packages quite some time ago, IIRC.
SO you shouldnt have to download this seperately... Just install Telemachus and its in there.
*And*, IIRC, it mostly works

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

Actually, this was included right into the Telemachus release packages quite some time ago, IIRC.
SO you shouldnt have to download this seperately... Just install Telemachus and its in there.
*And*, IIRC, it mostly works

Telemachus is actually very laggy, when using it with KerbalVR, but I don't have enough time to rewrite Telemachus entirely... 

On 8/6/2019 at 5:48 AM, zer0Kerbal said:

telemachus? just have to direct to IP other than 127.0.0.1

And this version is old and fully abandoned... So you should use this one instead. 

I eventually went for the full shebang, with the multiplayer DMP server (to see the ship in spectator view), discord for the voice, Telemachus for the telemetry...

It works surprisingly well. Since each of those uses a different kind of resource (GPU, network adapter, CPU...) they don't really impact the performance more than the impact that you'd normally have with only VR.

Pretty cool

Edited by jeancallisti

On 8/17/2019 at 9:53 PM, jeancallisti said:

I eventually went for the full shebang, with the multiplayer DMP server (to see the ship in spectator view), discord for the voice, Telemachus for the telemetry...

It works surprisingly well. Since each of those uses a different kind of resource (GPU, network adapter, CPU...) they don't really impact the performance more than the impact that you'd normally have with only VR.

Pretty cool

You also can try ALCOR for advanced IVA) 

Or you could do it the classic way and have Mission Control use paper charts/graphs. :wink:

I have also had this idea in the past and I am actually in the beginning stages of creating this:
Player one (Pilot) (could include both a pilot and co-pilot) is in a wooden-fabricated cockpit, entirely in IVA. Cannot see map except for charts, cannot view most of the HUD.
Player two (mission control) is sitting nearby looking at a console much like this one. Console is wired to the game but is kept separate from player one so that they are further apart and it adds realism. 

On 8/5/2019 at 5:50 AM, jeancallisti said:

- Is this a dumb idea 

Absolutely not it sounds amazing. 

On 8/5/2019 at 5:50 AM, jeancallisti said:

- What voice chat system do you recommend to use while KSP is running? Skype? Discord? Team speak? Doesn't matter?

Discord, without a doubt. Highly immersive sound controls and settings, as well as crystal clear communication, as long as you have good mics. 

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

40 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Player one (Pilot) (could include both a pilot and co-pilot) is in a wooden-fabricated cockpit, entirely in IVA.Player two (mission control) is sitting nearby looking at a console much like this one.

Well that would be living the dream

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.