[1.8.x] SafeBrakes

Astronants

SafeBrakes 1.1.5 for KSP 1.8.1

Because we don't want to see our sstos explode on the landing.

vHKMufh.png

FEATURES

You can activate the brakes with MODkey + BRAKESkey (ALT+B by default on Windows).
If on, the antilock system (ABS) temporarily deactivates the vessel's brakes to avoid drifting and crashing onto the runway during braking.
The anti-overheat system (SAB) deactivates the brakes to prevent the airbrakes from overheating and reactivates them when they are cooled down.

INSTALLATION
Download the mod from Spacedock, GitHub or CKAN

CHANGELOG

Spoiler

SafeBrakes Changelog

- poll results: toggle the brakes with modkey + brakes [63%]
- updated InstallCheck and ModuleManager
- various bug fixes and improvements
- community suggestions: renamed "ABS rate" to "ABS interval", added ABS action group
- added installation checking
- bug fixes
- recompiled for KSP 1.8.x
- added GUI
- Fixed version file syntax.
- Added settings file.
- The antilock system now only works when landing or splashed down.
- Added an anti-overheat system to the airbrakes: it deactivates the brakes to avoid overheating and reactivates them when they are cooled.
- moved the MiniAVC.dll so that it can work.
- Initial release

88x31.png

Mod licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

This mod includes version checking using MiniAVC. If you opt-in, it will use the internet to check whether there is a new version available. Data is only read from the internet and no personal information is sent. For a more comprehensive version checking experience, please download the KSP-AVC Plugin.

Edited by Astronants
update 1.1.5

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 11/2/2019 at 11:40 AM, DfA-DoM said:

Please, follow @JadeOfMaar suggestion and include an equivalent of DoubleTapBrakes into your mod.

Currently you can lock the brakes with alt+b. But I'm not against the idea of switching from alt+b to double tap if people are interested.

37 minutes ago, FellipeC said:

What the ABS Rate slider do?

The ABS rate slider allows you to change the time between two cycles of the anti-lock system (one cycle = one deactivation and reactivation of the brakes). It goes from 0.1s to 1s, quicker rate means safer landing but longer distance to stop, lower rate means shorter distance but can cause you craft to drift on the runway.

1 minute ago, Astronants said:

Currently you can lock the brakes with alt+b. But I'm not against the idea of switching from alt+b to double tap if people are interested.

The ABS rate slider allows you to change the time between two cycles of the anti-lock system (one cycle = one deactivation and reactivation of the brakes). It goes from 0.1s to 1s, quicker rate means safer landing but longer distance to stop, lower rate means shorter distance but can cause you craft to drift on the runway.

Thanks. I thought the exactly opposite, bigger numbers, brake quicker. Now it makes sense!

1 hour ago, Astronants said:

I recommend changing “ABS rate” to “ABS interval” as it should be a bit more intuitive in its meaning. 

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

No need, just install both

1 mod for 1 line of code: isn't it a bit... overkill?

3 hours ago, Astronants said:

That would be really nice.

I'm not against having several mod acting together (currently playing with approx 50 active mods), but I think that the wheel brakes handling don't deserve many mods, possibly conflicting each other.

On 11/3/2019 at 5:51 PM, DfA-DoM said:

That would be really nice.

I'm not against having several mod acting together (currently playing with approx 50 active mods), but I think that the wheel brakes handling don't deserve many mods, possibly conflicting each other.

I opened an issue on Github including a link to a poll in which you guys can vote for how you want to toggle the brakes: https://github.com/Astronants/SafeBrakes/issues/2

I'll also include a link to the poll in the next update. If it doesn't get enough votes btw I'll leave things as they are.

Edited by Astronants

In addition to picking a method of toggling brakes on/off (rather than tap & hold or click the icon as in vanilla), would it be doable to include an option to enable/disable the ABS feature as well? For those moments when you just *want* to lock the brakes, and don't want to click on a pod and find the correct switch in time. :)

Or, if it's exposable to an action group to toggle ABS on/off, that would work too.

I'm voting mod-key, since double tapping can be finicky with response time, though I do use and love 'double tap brakes' as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Crossposting one of my posts from another thread:

I'm far from an expert in reading logs, but I'm seeing a lot of these in the log when I was looking at said rover:

[ERR 17:36:00.062] Module SafeBrakes threw during OnUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at SafeBrakes.SafeBrakes.OnUpdate () [0x001b4] in <e8f4061f37b542f9b11eea8271dcef40>:0 
  at Part.ModulesOnUpdate () [0x0004a] in <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0 

On 12/1/2019 at 12:50 AM, MaxwellsDemon said:

Crossposting one of my posts from another thread:

I'm far from an expert in reading logs, but I'm seeing a lot of these in the log when I was looking at said rover:

[ERR 17:36:00.062] Module SafeBrakes threw during OnUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at SafeBrakes.SafeBrakes.OnUpdate () [0x001b4] in <e8f4061f37b542f9b11eea8271dcef40>:0 
  at Part.ModulesOnUpdate () [0x0004a] in <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0 

Hi, thanks for reporting the issue, I'll take a look at it and make an update asap. I'll also take a look at your original thread, some context could help me a lot in recreating and fixing it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to just default this to on, instead of activating manually? Also, it would be awesome to have the brakes automatically activate on touchdown

Edited by dlrk

17 hours ago, dlrk said:

Is there a way to just default this to on, instead of activating manually? Also, it would be awesome to have the brakes automatically activate on touchdown

I wouldn't hold your breath on that one (not the author obviously, but I do have some insight on this).

It's incredibly difficult to accurately detect a touchdown. If a plane bounces even slightly while taking off then the situation will quickly change from Flying, to Landed, and back to Flying. A touchdown mod would almost certainly be looking for a vessel going from Flying to Landed. There are ways around that of course, but it's not an easy thing to account for all the variables.

Edited by severedsolo

• 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.