How close is close enough?

In a career mode I'm trying to complete a contract which requires me to fly over a certain place.  I have flown over in a rocket about 22 kilometers and taken a crew report at that time but it does not chalk up a completed contract.  is there nay indication when in flight that you are 'over' some landmark and is taking a crew report the right thing to do?

Thanks.

It should have the height specified in the contract.  It'll also tell you when you're entering the area.

If you believe you have satisfied the contract, then you can just complete it using the Alt+F12 menu.  They do bug out sometimes.

The contract will tell you what experiment you need to run. The waypoint marker will also be different depending on which experiment you need to run. No, it is not always the "crew report".

The contract will also specify an altitude. I usually find that it's best to be within about 6 or 7km of the specified altitude, but I've never proven to myself that being near the specified altitude really makes a difference.

1 hour ago, GungaDin said:

In a career mode I'm trying to complete a contract which requires me to fly over a certain place.  I have flown over in a rocket about 22 kilometers and taken a crew report at that time but it does not chalk up a completed contract.  is there nay indication when in flight that you are 'over' some landmark and is taking a crew report the right thing to do?

What's the exact text of the contract?

19 hours ago, GungaDin said:

…is there [any] indication when in flight that you are 'over' some landmark…?

Yes. There is a message up top saying “Entering <such-and-such area>” and a similar one when leaving. Selecting the waypoint on the map view and “Activate Navigation” before you start will both give a marker on the navball and show distance to target; this will help immensely.

But you’ll need to be johnny-on-the-spot with your action (have the PAW locked open or use an action group for speed). The areas are sized for planes, in my experience, and are difficult to hit at rocket speeds.

Along with a certain altitude, another requirement that accompanies the request is you being either below or above said altitude.
It's easy to forget this after going, say, above a given altitude for a certain number of waypoints. This extra requirement can even be different per waypoint in the same contract. For instance, when you need to take a crew report for 3 destinations, 2 can be above 8km, 1 waypoint is below 7km.
Check the contract to the letter.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.