Assign maneuvers before undocking

I like to reuse various vessels, so I may dock them together and later split parts off to go on another mission. I recently parked a Mun lander on a asteroid capture ship, but didn't want the extra mass along on another asteroid mission. So as I was carefully plotting a 3-maneuver orbit to catch the asteroid, I was all set until I undocked the lander to leave behind. All my carefully-planned maneuvers were in the lander, not the bigger vessel.

I am guessing this is intended, as I originally docked the lander onto the larger ship. I tried changing the control-from and also undocking the ports from each other in the opposite direction.  Nothing preserved the maneuvers in the bigger ship.

Is there a procedure that would prevent this?

Could I pick? Could it just leave the maneuvers in both ships, so I can just cancel the one that doesn't need it?

(Workaround I used was to screen shot the maneuvers and recreate them...This was on 1.7.3 with various mods.)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1780323981

44 minutes ago, Hangdog said:

Is there a procedure that would prevent this?

Not that I know of. If you set a node before undocking, one of the resulting ships will keep it after undocking, but I don't know of any way to pick which one in the stock game.

When it comes up in my own gameplay, I just make it a point to undock before trying to set any nodes.

On 8/5/2019 at 6:10 PM, Snark said:

Well, yes. Other than that, I mean. :sticktongue:

I think it depends on which of the 2 docking ports you undock.  I think the one with the port you undocked will become the active vessel.  MOST of the time.  Certainly not always.

So yeah, undock before plotting maneuvers is the only way to be sure.

On 8/6/2019 at 11:09 PM, Geschosskopf said:

I think it depends on which of the 2 docking ports you undock.  I think the one with the port you undocked will become the active vessel.  MOST of the time.  Certainly not always.

So yeah, undock before plotting maneuvers is the only way to be sure.

Only one port has the undock item in the menu tho.

16 hours ago, Hangdog said:

Only one port has the undock item in the menu tho.

I just made a quick test, and it seems that which port is the "primary docking node" (i.e. has the "undock" PAW action) doesn't have an effect. With the latest version you can change the primary docking node (i.e. you either have the "undock" or an "Make Primary Docking Node" PAW action on a docked port), but not matter which port was the primary: in both cases after undocking the active vessel was the same and had the (test-)maneuver node.

18 hours ago, AHHans said:

I just made a quick test, and it seems that which port is the "primary docking node" (i.e. has the "undock" PAW action) doesn't have an effect. With the latest version you can change the primary docking node (i.e. you either have the "undock" or an "Make Primary Docking Node" PAW action on a docked port), but not matter which port was the primary: in both cases after undocking the active vessel was the same and had the (test-)maneuver node.

Well, then it's back to what @5thHorseman said :) 

Manouver nodes are assigned to the part which is "control from here".

Before undocking select any pod/core/dockingport of the part of the vessel which should keep the manouver.

Undock. You will be in controll of that part (module) and should still have the manouvernode(s).

To switch to the undocked vessel use brackets ("[" and "]")

Edited by Draalo

I did that. The nodes were in the other module afterwards. 

seems alike a bug, given that the scheme changed and you can reassign which side of the port undocks. It doesn’t account for that change in assigning the maneuvers. 

Edited by Hangdog

On 8/10/2019 at 4:09 PM, Draalo said:

Maneuver nodes are assigned to the part which is "control from here".

That's not the way it works for me. (At least in the test I just did.) With "control from here" I can choose which part of the vessel I control after undocking, but the maneuver node was always in the same part that contained the root part of the docked combined vessel (as indicated by "autostrut to root").

Edited by AHHans
Changed wording to improve clarity.

29 minutes ago, Hangdog said:

What if the two craft originated from separate launches? They had different  roots. 

Ah, no. When you dock then the two vessels are combined into one new vessel, and I AFAIK the root of the new vessel is the root of the older vessel. Yes, that means that "autostrut to root" will change when you dock or undock.

P.S. That is also the cause of my comment that it is literally always the wrong part: I have a big refueling station in Kerbin orbit. And when I launch a new interplanetary vessel and refuel it at the station, then any maneuver node I set up while they are docked will remain with the station. And not the vessel that I actually want to move...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.