[1.8.1] Real Exoplanets v0.9.6 [04/03/2020]

Andi K.

2 hours ago, pmborg said:

Hello Andrew you are really doing a very nice and talent Job here about these Exo planets in TRAPPIST-1:

Here are my comments in a simple and short format, I don't want to overload with more detailed information, but here are the more recent discoveries about them in a short resume:

START TRAPPIST-1: Mass 93.2xJupiter Radius 77618km Density: 90.4g/cm^2 (Esc.Velocity: 552km/s - ASL Gravity: 1961m/s^2) Surface temperature 2516K

• TRAPPIST-1b surface temperature 145C - Iron 41% Silicate 18..4% Water 23.2%(71.8% Similar to Earth) (Esc.Velocity: 10.8km/s - ASL Gravity: 8.29m/s^2)
  • TRAPPIST-1c in an Hot World with temperatures 78.7C and 79.6C - 12.8% Iron 87.2% Silicate (84.9% Similar to Earth) (Esc.Velocity: 11.6km/s - ASL Gravity: 9.88m/s^2)
  • TRAPPIST-1d is an Icy World with temperatures between -17.5C and -89.7C - 23.7 Iron, 14.9% Silicate and 14.5% Water (Esc.Velocity: 6.96km/s - ASL Gravity: 4.95m/s^2)
  • TRAPPIST-1e is an Icy World  temperatures between -9.87C and -13.4C - 41.9%Iron 36.4% Silicate (Esc.Velocity: 10.4km/s - ASL Gravity: 9.56m/s^2)
  • TRAPPIST-1f is an Icy World  temperatures between -50.8C and -48.2C - 48.6% Iron 7.66 Silicate 19.7% Water (Esc.Velocity: 10.7km/s - ASL Gravity: 8.75m/s^2)
  • TRAPPIST-1g is an Icy World  temperatures between -70.4C and -64.5C - 14.7%Iron 78.8%Silicate 6.5%Water (Esc.Velocity: 11.3km/s - ASL Gravity: 8.95m/s^2)
  • TRAPPIST-1h is an Icy World  temperatures between -101C and -90.9C -  39,3% Iron 47.9%Silicate 12.9% Water (Esc.Velocity: 7.4km/s - ASL Gravity: 5.68m/s^2)

I already have access to the latest information on the size and mass of these planets, and have used that information to create the planets.

After those that you mention (Specially Alpha Centauri-b and TRAPPIST-1) this is my short list of starts/planets that in my opinion, are more likely to be able to Harbour Life:

• *****    Kepler 186 - (b,c,d,e,f) Have one Earth sister planet, 186f should be a planet like earth 80% Water!, problem is that should be tidally locked with the Star with 50% odd, but if it is tidally, have slices of the planet with temperatures in all ranges between: -52.5°C and 50°C, Earth like.
  • *****     Gliese 667C - Closest Start (23.62 light-years) with one planet (Gliese 667 Cc) candidate to Harbour Life (surface temperature: 4.3° C)  1.5R⊕
  • ****     Kepler 62 - (b,c,d,e,f) Have 1 planet, like earth, Kepler 62e 28.6% water 1.6 R⊕(−3°C and -23.8°C)

Here a print screen of my desktop:

nq9f9ZG.png

Gliese 667 Cc, Kepler 186f and Kepler 62e

Edited by pmborg

On 8/30/2019 at 11:10 PM, pmborg said:

After those that you mention (Specially Alpha Centauri-b and TRAPPIST-1) this is my short list of starts/planets that in my opinion, are more likely to be able to Harbour Life:

• *****    Kepler 186 - (b,c,d,e,f) Have one Earth sister planet, 186f should be a planet like earth 80% Water!, problem is that should be tidally locked with the Star with 50% odd, but if it is tidally, have slices of the planet with temperatures in all ranges between: -52.5°C and 50°C, Earth like.
  • *****     Gliese 667C - Closest Start (23.62 light-years) with one planet (Gliese 667 Cc) candidate to Harbour Life (surface temperature: 4.3° C)  1.5R⊕
  • ****     Kepler 62 - (b,c,d,e,f) Have 1 planet, like earth, Kepler 62e 28.6% water 1.6 R⊕(−3°C and -23.8°C)

Here a print screen of my desktop:

nq9f9ZG.png

Gliese 667 Cc, Kepler 186f and Kepler 62e

Kepler-62f should be forgotten. 1207 light years cannot be overcome beyond a reasonable limit without a warp engine. And the realities of KSP will not allow such a distance. I would add another LHS1140b to the list. This planet is especially interesting in that it not only is in the habitable zone but also has a high density and a huge iron core, which creates a powerful magnetosphere.

2 hours ago, OOM said:

Kepler-62f should be forgotten. 1207 light years cannot be overcome beyond a reasonable limit without a warp engine. And the realities of KSP will not allow such a distance. I would add another LHS1140b to the list. This planet is especially interesting in that it not only is in the habitable zone but also has a high density and a huge iron core, which creates a powerful magnetosphere.

Yes, indeed, I image that the Extra Solar system exploration, will be something that will happen exponentially, in time and something that will spread around

the Solar system in all directions that will make sense.

I imagine that the first starts will be probably be explored will be:

1. Alfa Centaury-B and Proxima Centaury as well, just for the proximity, point of view and will allow us to get experience to the other stars, that will make more sense.
  2. then TRAPPIST-1 because most of the planets have water.
  3. and at last Gliese 667C because is the closest Start (23.62 light-years) that really should be able to Harbor life.

Edited by pmborg

Actually, some of the current surface temperature calculation for the Exoplanets are not correct at all, because in order to have a correct value, several parameters need to be taken into account, and presently we don’t have all those inputs, in order to get a precise value, we just have some of them but not all:

• ·         Star average intensity (this is easy)
  • ·         Star distance (check the PE and the AP orbit, more or less easy to get)
  • ·         Planet surface angle to the star (planet spin angle)
  • ·         Density of the atmosphere (that will filter the light) and this will work as a planet blanket
  • ·         The rotation period of the planet, (determine the min. and max. temperature of a day)
  • ·         And finally, the local distribution of the High and Low pressures in to the local atmosphere, (on earth this can be in a range of between 40C and 50C)

So this leads in a conservative approach to consider all planets in a range at least of -50C and 50C, due calculation/perdition errors, with the present known info.

Edited by pmborg

Here in this data table, you can see that Gliese 667Cc's minimum mass is about 4 M-earth. This is the minimum mass of this planet, meaning it's mass could very well be over 6 M-earth, placing it closer to the mini-neptune range. It's radius is also unknown since it was discovered using doppler spectroscopy, and no known transits have occured. Saying that we know its radius to be 1.5 R-earth is not true.

As for its tidal forces, you can see that even if Gliese 667Cc is rocky, it would experience tidal forces 300 times that of Earth, which would result in an extremely active and volcanic surface.

Also, I'll note that we do not know the surface temperature of any of these planets either, so stating that we do is just scientifically inaccurate, and might miseducate people, which I don't want.

One last thing, @pmborg please stop flooding this thread with data about exoplanets. If you have some information/data/studies you want to share with me, please just link the source here.

Edited by AndrewDraws

4 hours ago, Space Nerd said:

Source?

Source:  Book: The Stars, Author: Maggie Aderin-Pocok (Space Scientist, honorary research associate at UCL and co-presenter of the BBC’s The Sky at night), Universe Sandbox ²

and

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1801.00748.pdf
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1705.02350.pdf
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1702.03678.pdf

ZBlTxlC.png

I like AndrewDraws a lot and I also love his work, so I will step aside and not interfere furthermore on this thread, my initial idea was to align some new discoveries about this subjects, but is clear that new information is not need.

In real life I am a Pilot and a software developer (free-time), sometimes I like to think, that I am bit of Scientist too...

So this is my last reply on this Thread, as the pilots say:

Pmborg, Wilco.

@pmborg Nah I'm not saying you can't post on this thread, I'm just saying that it gets a little overwhelming and excessive when there are long posts of raw information about exoplanets, that's all.

I will repeat what I said before which is that the radius of Gliese 667Cc is unknown, and that 1.5 R-earth figure you see is actually assumes that its minimum mass is its actual mass as well as assuming an earth-like composition, which are two very big assumptions. More likely than not, Gliese 667Cc's mass is well above 4 M-earth, making it more likely to be a water world or mini-neptune with a large radius rather than a small, rocky, earth-like planet.

Edited by AndrewDraws

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2019 at 10:09 PM, AndrewDraws said:

@pmborg Nah I'm not saying you can't post on this thread, I'm just saying that it gets a little overwhelming and excessive when there are long posts of raw information about exoplanets, that's all.

I will repeat what I said before which is that the radius of Gliese 667Cc is unknown, and that 1.5 R-earth figure you see is actually assumes that its minimum mass is its actual mass as well as assuming an earth-like composition, which are two very big assumptions. More likely than not, Gliese 667Cc's mass is well above 4 M-earth, making it more likely to be a water world or mini-neptune with a large radius rather than a small, rocky, earth-like planet.

Well, without information about the density of the planet, little can be said.

Edited by OOM

• 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, Space Nerd said:

Why blue?(subsurface ocean?)

also, this looks really similar to NASA 's visualization.

Yes it is blue underneath from a subsurface ocean.

It looks like the NASA visualization on purpose ;)

Just a little progress update: I've completed all atmospheres and scatterer configs. All I need to do is make sure those scatterer atmospheres and EVE clouds are properly scaled when using the stock system. I'm also having a weird problem where TRAPPIST-1b doesn't scale properly like all of the other exoplanets, so I need to figure out what I need to do to fix that. At this point, I am hoping to release this major update before Thanksgiving, release a minor update in mid-December, and then release a somewhat major update around Christmastime/New Year's.

On 11/7/2019 at 8:07 PM, AndrewDraws said:

Just a little progress update: I've completed all atmospheres and scatterer configs. All I need to do is make sure those scatterer atmospheres and EVE clouds are properly scaled when using the stock system. I'm also having a weird problem where TRAPPIST-1b doesn't scale properly like all of the other exoplanets, so I need to figure out what I need to do to fix that. At this point, I am hoping to release this major update before Thanksgiving, release a minor update in mid-December, and then release a somewhat major update around Christmastime/New Year's.

While there is no Kopernicus 1.8.X you can not release anything. :/

Edited by OOM

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.